PDA

View Full Version : HB 568 - To Ban "Pitbulls" in Ohio

tessa_s212
05-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Ohio House Bill 568, introduced by Representative Tyrone Yates of Cincinnati, seeks to prohibit the ownership, keeping, or harboring of a dog that "belongs to a breed that is commonly known as a pit bull dog." Furthermore, if this bill is passed and adopted into law, all such dogs will be seized and euthanized. It is imperative that all concerned dog owners in Ohio contact their elected representatives and express their vehement opposition to this draconian legislation.

HB 568 unacceptably provides that:

* No person shall own, keep, or harbor a dog that belongs to a breed that is commonly known as a pit bull dog.
* No later than 90 days after the effective date of this bill, a person who owns, keeps, or harbor a pit bull dog will be forced to surrender the dog to a dog warden.
* Within ten days of surrender, the dog warden shall euthanize the dog.
* If an officer has probable cause to believe that a dog is a pit bull, the officer may apply for a search warrant. After obtaining a search warrant, an officer shall seize the dog and transfer the dog to the dog warden, who shall euthanize the dog within 10 days.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:
All concerned Ohio dog owners should contact their elected representatives and express their strong opposition to HB 568. To find your elected representatives, click here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o7oR14vpM0#GU5U2spHI_4

If you do not live in OH or would like to contact more than just your local representatives, the entire list of Ohio representatives can be found here:
http://www.house.state.oh.us/jsps/SearchbyName.jsp

Please help stop this. All it takes is some half brained dog warden to think your dog looks like a pitbull. Don't let this happen. Speak out against it! It could be your breed next? Boxers, great danes, bulldogs, mastiffs, bullmastiffs, labradors, rottweilers, german shepherds.. they are ALL at risk. Stop this prejudice now, before it gets worse. BSL is NOT the answer! Responsible ownership IS!

Cincy'sMom
05-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks for posting this, Tessa. I got it by email yesterday and had not got it here yet. The bill seems so completely unbelieve, I was hoping it can't be true. I certainly hope people realize for outrageous it is.

lute
05-22-2008, 06:29 PM
I hate this! I hope this stupid bill doesn't pass! Having owned a Pittie I know the difference between a fighting dog and a family pet. I wish everyone else could have the chance to befriend a pit bull! Things would change rapidly!

CountryWolf07
05-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Wow, Ohio's turn, huh? stupid.

DJFyrewolf36
05-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Some people...I think BSL is incridibly stupid and short sighted. Why not go after the PEOPLE causing the problem? The dogs didn't ask to be born after all.

Sparklecoon
05-23-2008, 02:57 AM
I would say that the only good thing Detroit has done in the last couple years is strike down a ban on pitbulls thought MHS (Michigan Humane Society) still will not adopt out pits (nearly all are put down, the one reason that don't get any donations from me.).

So many loving families and lives at risk of being destroyed... :mad:

SURELY THESE DOGS DESERVE DEATH!

When they came for the pit bulls,
I remained silent;
Surely these dogs deserved death!

When they banned the rottweilers,
I remained silent;
Who needs these dogs?

When they came for the guardian breeds,
I did not speak out;
My dog was not one of these.

When they came for the large dogs,
I remained silent;
My dog was small.

When they came for all dogs,
there was no one left to fight with me.

Matrix adapted from Niemöller -

The previous poem was based on a piece written by a German Pastor to how he viewed the apathy that surrounded the holocaust. Here is the original

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

chocolatepuppy
05-23-2008, 06:28 AM
This makes me absolutely sick! :mad: I saw it last night when I returned from taking my 'vicious' Shepherd mix Layla to school. Training her to be the best dog ever so people won't be afraid of her. :( (yes many people are afraid of her and she is the sweetest dog ever) Will Rotties and Shepherds be next? I have a mix of each. I will be writing to whoever I need to write to, when I figure that out.
signed, embarrassed to live in Ohio right now