PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again!

davidpizzica
05-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Lately I've been having some problems with my artificial knee. It's getting stiff and somewhat painful. I wear a knee brace when I'm working and it seems to help and give support. I tend to limp and just in case I have a cane handy. If it gets any worse, a trip to my friendly orthpedist is in order. I sincerely hope I don't need a replacement for my replacement!!

joycenalex
05-21-2008, 05:32 AM
david, has any dr looked further "upstream" ? meaning your hip and low back?

Freedom
05-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Does the knee click or make any noise? There was an article in the newspaper in the past week, that the ceramic knees are developing problems. Sorry, I don't recall any more than that.

moosmom
05-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Are ya sure your doctor didn't install a "refurbished" model????

I'm sorry honey, I just couldn't help myself. Are you able to take Aleve?? That always helps my knees and back when I've been on my feet all day long.

Feel better.

davidpizzica
05-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Are ya sure your doctor didn't install a "refurbished" model????

I'm sorry honey, I just couldn't help myself. Are you able to take Aleve?? That always helps my knees and back when I've been on my feet all day long.

Feel better.

Donna, I think he might have picked this one up at a St. Vincent DePaul store! I think the lifetime of an artificial knee is ten years and I have mine four years now, but working at Longue Vue club seems to add a few years to it!

Daisy and Delilah
05-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Thoughts and prayers are coming at ya , David. I feel your pain. I just had the new replacement done on March 5th and now I have a pulled side ligament. My doctor is talking about removing the top of the prosthesis in another surgery!! That's the fifth one on this knee. I'm ready to move to a nice beach somewhere and live with a pegleg. Best of luck to you.

davidpizzica
05-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Thoughts and prayers are coming at ya , David. I feel your pain. I just had the new replacement done on March 5th and now I have a pulled side ligament. My doctor is talking about removing the top of the prosthesis in another surgery!! That's the fifth one on this knee. I'm ready to move to a nice beach somewhere and live with a pegleg. Best of luck to you.

At my job I do A LOT of walking behind a lawn mower and I'm doing this for just about 8 hours a day and I was wondering if my store bought knee was meant for all this walking on it. I'm also trying to convince my boss that I'm very near 60 and not a kid anymore!

shais_mom
05-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Are you taking Glucosamaine?
My dad swore by Joint Flex (I think that was the name)
My dad was pinned by a tow-motor against a guard rail when he was 46 years old (in 1990) - the tow-motor crushed his knee - the only thing that was left was his patella. He was immobilized for about 10 weeks while worker's comp decided when they wanted to fix it. He had the total knee put in that was cement-less so he wasn't able to bend it right away. He had to keep it immobilized for several weeks and by the time he was allowed to bend it - it wouldn't bend. He had to be knocked out and the dr had to manually bend it himself. :( It was a long road for him but he went back to working and trucking, and farming full time. He finally had it revised in 2004. And then only the pad in b/n the joint needed replaced. He is now 63 (almost 64) and he farms, still drives truck, snowmobiles, and does just about everything the dr told him NOT to do. He's fallen off ladders, off the back of wagons and trucks and got his shirt caught in the power take off of the tractor while standing on top of a silo with no one around.(that was scary) Plus he's had 2 back surgeries. :(
Walking behind a mower on a golf course wouldn't be easy on your knee for certain - I'm assuming the ground is rather 'smooth' so at least you HOPEFULLY wouldn't step in a hole! yikes And I'm sure you have more miles on it than some just b/c of that. :)
If you aren't taking glucosamaine try that while you are waiting to get into your dr. It won't be a cure-all but hopefully it will help.
good luck!

shais_mom
05-21-2008, 07:11 PM
david, has any dr looked further "upstream" ? meaning your hip and low back?

that's a good point
or even your shoes.
When My shoes start to get miles on them my whole body hurts.

Cinder & Smoke
05-21-2008, 08:02 PM
At my job I do A LOT of walking behind a lawn mower
and I'm doing this for just about 8 hours a day ...

Good Grief! :eek:

Do they mow an entire golf course / counrty club with only WALK-Behind mowers? :confused:
:rolleyes:

Haven't they heard of (and invested in) RIDING Mowers????

Surely you must have enough Seniority to be able to bid onto a Rider job!

I suggested to you several times that you should be talking either to your Boss or
a senior Official of the club - to secure a more suitable, age and health appropriate job!
Have you ever tried to do that?

/s/ Phred

Daisy and Delilah
05-21-2008, 11:20 PM
David, I don't know how much wear and tear these knees can take but I don't think they can take a great deal of stress. I have bad arthritis too so I sometimes assume that the real parts around the prosthesis are riddled with that.

Thanks for the tip on the glucosamine, Staci. I stopped taking it but I'll start again. I'll try anything.

Are you icing after work, David? I love my cryo cuff. It's the best thing ever. A bag of frozen peas will work as well. I'll keep those prayers and thoughts coming.

Sparklecoon
05-22-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm an orthopedic nurse and my specialty is hip/knee replacements. I think a trip to your ortho guy is definately advisable. If it's getting stiff he maybe able to do some light manipulation, you also want to make sure your not developing an infection (even after four years it can still happen though not super common).

If it is time for a revision (fingers crossed that it's not) ask about different types of artificial joints. There are different options out there for young active people vs more sedentary older adults.

Cinder & Smoke
05-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey David!!!

Do you ever return to the Threads you start to READ the Replies you get?

Since you last posted on this thread (that YOU started), FOUR Pet Talkers
have replied and posted FIVE suggestions for things you could try.

If you won't read the replies and offer some acknowledgment of them,
it seems like a waste of our time to reply when you post.

Please, let's HEAR from you! ;)

/s/ Phred

moosmom
05-30-2008, 09:25 AM
The "posting etiquette police" strikes again. ;)

Cinder & Smoke
05-30-2008, 10:17 AM
< grinn >

lizbud
05-30-2008, 11:21 AM
< grinn >

What's that called when you do something over & over expecting a
different outcome?:D:D

I read the article on ceramic joint implants too. Something about joints beginning
to squeak after a little wear.

shais_mom
05-30-2008, 11:39 AM
well it would be nice to know how he's doing.
ettiquete or not!