PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here ever tried to put new sisal on their cats' scratching posts?

sasvermont
05-20-2008, 07:47 AM
I have several posts that need new sisal. I hate to keep paying such high dollars for a new post if only the sisal needs to be replaced. I wonder how difficult it it to replace the sisal. Has anyone here ever tried it? I have seen several web sites where you can buy the replacement sisal....(can't have oils on it....and needs to be a special size to work).....

Thanks.

I think I have at least four posts in need of repair.

:rolleyes:

TopCat3
05-20-2008, 07:52 AM
I haven't tried and I don't think I could be bothered (that sounds really lazy i know), but sometimes you see them cheap here in $2 shops (if you have those where you are) I picked one up for A$12 once and the last one from the pet supplies place was only A$20.

They get terribly messy once they "go" don't they?

Have you thought of putting some rough/heavy duty carpet round it? That would be a lot easier. I'm sure one of the carpet shops would sell you an offcut. Or several wrap-arounds of hessian/sacking (clean of course lol)

orangemm
05-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Yes, my husband re-did one of my cats' favorite scratching posts a few years ago. I'll ask him what was involved. I don't believe it's difficult at all; he had no problems doing it. Stay tuned.;)

sasvermont
05-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Once the sisal starts to "go" it ends up all over the place. The cats use only the top portion of the sisal. The last post I bought was one that sits on it's side, and you can turn it so that all of the post could be used. My cats do not use the carpet part at all, just the sisal. And they wreck them within a year! Some of these posts cost $60 and are really heavy to carry. I don't want to fill the landfills with 1/2 used scatching posts......

Thanks for the inputs so far......

emily_the_spoiled
05-20-2008, 08:02 AM
I didn't re-do a scratching post, but I did put sisal rope around the pole in the family room (in the basement). They love it because they can climb all the way to the top and then jump down. But it also gives some purpose to the pole that is placed in the middle of the room ;)

critters
05-20-2008, 08:19 AM
I just went to the hardware store and bought sisal rope to do it with. Heavier gauge rope needs fewer turns and less time, which is a GOOD thing! I'd use sisal fabric, if I could find it; it appears that many manufacturers are going to it because of the ease of use. I used hot glue on my sisal, but U-shaped tacks, staples, etc. would be easier.

catmandu
05-20-2008, 09:54 AM
IN THINK THAT THAT WOULD TAKE SOME STRENGTH AND PATIENCE AS YOU WOULD HAVE TO WIND THE SISAL AROUND VERY TIGHTLY AROUND A LYER OF GLUE , AND YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE ACCURATE IN GETTING THE ROWS OF LAYERS EVEN.
I THINK I WOULD JUST BUY ANOTHER ONE , THEY HAVE THEM FOR 6 DOLLARS AT PETCETERA QUITE OFTEN.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

CultureJunky
05-20-2008, 10:12 AM
My dad made a new post for Jack a year ago and all he used was sisal rope from a DIY shop (about medium thickness) and glued it on with a non toxic glue. If you look in your local DIY store (hardware store I think you call them) you should be able to find a glue that will do the job and also get one that is safe for animals. Just ask the person who works there. I'm pretty sure you should be able to do it very easily, and it's also much cheaper.

catfamily
05-20-2008, 01:41 PM
wew just ordered some posts for the cat furniture.it has sisal on the posts if you think it would fit yours.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3261+10345+14667&pcatid=14667

Laura's Babies
05-20-2008, 01:42 PM
I need to redo my babies posts on their perch and I am going to all sisal rope, they have shdreeded the carpeted part to pieces! They go after the carpet a lot more than they do the sisal rope.

emily_the_spoiled
05-20-2008, 01:45 PM
It is interesting how cats prefer different surfaces for the scratching posts. I have carpet, faux fur, and sisal. By far the sisal is the most popular followed by the carpet. They treat the faux fur like it is contagious or shots out water :rolleyes:

catfamily
05-20-2008, 01:54 PM
laura's babies did you see these posts to order?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...7&pcatid=14667
makes life easier for us...but call first to make sure they would fit...they have different bolt sizes too.

sasvermont
05-20-2008, 02:26 PM
I think I will take one post apart to see what size I should/could order. I will get one and see what the price difference would be if I ordered the sisal at the store. Most of the sisal I have seen, is treated with some nasty chemical. Thanks so much for the information. I was wondering when someone would come up with a solution to the scratching post replacement problem. I hope this information helps other folks too!

Thank you all again!:love:

catfamily
05-20-2008, 02:27 PM
i hope you get one that fits...we ordered a few of them...the lady on the phone was very helpful.

critters
05-20-2008, 03:44 PM
laura's babies did you see these posts to order?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...7&pcatid=14667
makes life easier for us...but call first to make sure they would fit...they have different bolt sizes too.

What a great idea! THANKS!!!!!!

Catlady711
05-20-2008, 06:30 PM
I just went to the hardware store and bought sisal rope to do it with. Heavier gauge rope needs fewer turns and less time, which is a GOOD thing! I used hot glue on my sisal, but U-shaped tacks, staples, etc. would be easier.

Same here with the sisal we replaced in the Katzenhaus except we didn't use any hot glue, just the u shaped nails.

catfamily
05-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Same here with the sisal we replaced in the Katzenhaus except we didn't use any hot glue, just the u shaped nails.

great idea...i told mike...we'll need more projects than what we just ordered.
i'd like to wrap some of that stuff you just bought around some poles.
we'll turn this whole house..outside and in...a cat house..:)
no neighbors makes it nice and easy.
our last neighbors...never cared if there's came back to the house or not...they did not have them fixed b/c my whole outside of the house was sprayed.
there were wild animals for them to be eaten and they just didn't care to keep 'em indoors.
i want to build another outside screened in porch with lots of sisal poles for my babies.(for this house that we just moved in)it will take time...but we'll get it done.
we'll take any ideas...everything helps...thank you:)

Laura's Babies
05-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for that link Carla.. I don't have time to look into much there right now but got it saved and will look into everything there when I get back next month..

krazyaboutkatz
05-21-2008, 01:17 AM
When my cats started tearing up some of the carpet on their cat trees, I just bought some sisal rope from OSH or Home Depot and wrapped it tightly around the area and then tied it. It may not look as neat but it stays in place without having to use any glue or staples.:)

catfamily
05-21-2008, 04:57 AM
When my cats started tearing up some of the carpet on their cat trees, I just bought some sisal rope from OSH or Home Depot and wrapped it tightly around the area and then tied it. It may not look as neat but it stays in place without having to use any glue or staples.:)
i like the tie idea...i worry about them picking the staples out...and glue..i hate to work with.
we'll try it.:)
my mac will pick and pick and pick until i see a staple on the floor and then i panick thinking they swallowed one.

emily_the_spoiled
05-21-2008, 07:30 AM
I actually used the heavy duty double sided sticky tape that is used in laying carpet. It works just fine and the cats don't eat it.

catfamily
05-21-2008, 08:56 AM
I actually used the heavy duty double sided sticky tape that is used in laying carpet. It works just fine and the cats don't eat it.
that sounds great...i just told mike about that idea...thank you.
i think all of us may benefet from this thread.:)

catmandu
05-21-2008, 09:33 AM
I Never Thought Of Double Sided Tape.
I Will Try That As Miquelito And Pouncierge Have Torn The Sisal From The Koxka Cat Tree.
Those Little Imps.

lvpets2002
05-21-2008, 10:00 AM
;) Hey I like that double sided tape idea too & or just like Tracey just tie the rope off.. I need to redo a couple of my cat post also..

sasvermont
06-04-2008, 04:17 PM
I went to Lowe's and bought a few rolls of sisal. Each was $7 - bought four in total. I re-did one post entirely. I need to find the anchors for both ends, but for now, the glue is drying and the ends are nailed. Once the glue dries completely, I will tack down the ends.

I am looking at the other pathetic posts in my home. Not all of them need total replacement, as the cats scratch only 1/2 way down the posts. Has anyone ever replaced just half of the sisal?

If this method works, just replacing the sisal, it will save me a ton of money. I have at least four that need quite a bit of work!

CATS.....:eek::love:;)

Barbara
06-05-2008, 05:03 AM
Hi Sallyanne,
I didn't see this before as I have been in Moldova. We have replaced the sisal at the scratching post one time and have the rope for the second replacement at home. I was surprised at what a great length you need but it is obvious:
if a post is 4 in wide and 20 in high, and the rope is 1/2 in thick you'll need roughly 40 circles around the post.
And each circle has a length of 2*pi*r, r being the radius of the post, that would be 2 in - that makes roughly 12.5 in per circle.
So the length of the rope needed will be 502 in that is 42 ft.
If your rope is thinner it will be more :)

I am sure the kitties will love their new post:love:

funny felines
03-01-2009, 10:33 PM
I wonder if hot gluing would work? where do you find non-toxic glue?