PDA

View Full Version : Dominet and Agressive dogs

Aspen and Misty
08-27-2002, 10:00 PM
Chewy is definitly a domint dog. He is very agrressive towards Teddy. I hand feed him so he's not as food aggressive. But he just beats up Teddy all the time! Well, I have some questions on what I need to do since he is a domint dog. He knows he is below me and my sister. But he thinks he is higher then my dad. So we need to stop this behavor. I tell him what to do but he doesn't belave me. So if you gusy could please write some suggestions or things I need to watch out for in the future I would be greatly aprciative.

Dixie Belle
08-27-2002, 10:03 PM
Dad needs to spend more time with pup. Do training with him and stuff. Prince is like that with my husband. He will run the other way from him, but he minds me like a dream. but, my hubby didn't spend the time with him that I did.

Aspen and Misty
08-27-2002, 10:08 PM
Well my dad is almost never home always working! And it bothers him that neither of the dogs or cats listen to him. Like just tonight he was trying to get Smokey our cat to sit and he just couldn't get her to. He got so mad he had to leave the room! I feel bad but he only wants to do things with them when he wants to so what can I do? Fore them to spend time! Gee I'm just at wits ends with Chewy, he is such a bad puppy! He is so bad everyoen ask why I haven't givein him up yet! I love him to much and he is comeing along I mean we are working with him! O well, what everyone else says doens't matter I love the little guy and he will be with me till one of us dies. Any more suggestions on things I need to do with him to keep him from being agressive? Once a week he does my rounds with me collecting money from my customers and he plays with the dogs. I also let the kids play with him so he lieks both of them and is not aggressive towards them. The play is always supervised by me so no one gets hurt.

wolf_Q
08-27-2002, 10:57 PM
We always seem to be having the same problems at the same time! lol. I was thinking about posting my problems with Nebo, but now I'll just reply here.

Nebo is frustrating me. Don't get me wrong, I love the little guy to death, but sometimes he's a hard one. Today was his 3rd puppy kindergarten class. He was doing great at first...most of the time he sat/layed at my feet, great at sit/down, and he even wasn't bad at loose leash walking that time (except that when I went down the isle in a half a second he had a black plastic thing in his mouth that I had to literally stick my fingers down his throat to fish out before he killed himself!) We also did a thing called "pass the puppy" where we passed our pup along to the next person and took somebody elses dog...petted them, had them sit, etc. As far as I know he was fine with that. Anyway, toward the last bit we had some issues. He peed on the floor (he had only peed in my house once in 2 weeks...) and so I was cleaning that up (while everyone watched mind you). I had the wet paper towel in my hand, and the garbage was on the other side past all the other dogs. So I was trying to clean it up and I was trying to grab Nebo so I could hurry and throw it away....Nebo already has issues with being held/picked up....and this huge great dane (who also has dog issues I can tell) was on one side of me, and a soft wheaten terrier (about the same size as Nebo) was right in my face jumping on Nebo as I tried to pick him up. I think he was trying to get away, plus he felt threatened with the other dogs crowding him (I wish the owners could have kept them away for a minute!) and all I heard was a yelp from the wheaten terrier. The owner says that Nebo bit her. Glares coming at me from every direction. Then it was doggy socialization time afterwards and it was obvious that everyone was avoiding me! UUUggggh! :eek:

Nebo is definitely a dominant dog like Chewy! Just be glad he is not dominant toward you. I've been trying the thing they said when you grab his collar, saying "gotcha" and giving him a treat. He still bites at me when I grab his collar, and sometimes he reallly growls when I pick him up. I've been doing all of those things people have said to let them know who is boss, I guess it is just going to take time. He loves Reggie and Smokey, but he gets too wild with them, and Reggie is a butthole to him.

Gee I'm just at wits ends with Chewy, he is such a bad puppy! He is so bad everyoen ask why I haven't givein him up yet!

Yeah my mom thinks Nebo is evil, and because he is a "big" dog he's gonna kill me or something. My aunt had her dog, an australian shepard, attack her so now my mom things all "big" dogs are evil. Well her "little" dog Smokey is just as big of a snot! And I left him in his dog run yesterday while I went to a friends house to watch a movie--apparently he is not used to being left in there late at night--he wasn't barking when I left, but I guess he was barking his head off later and some neighbor was yelling over the fence. And somebody called and hung up 4 times yesterday, so my mom all assumes it is all related, and guess what...I hate my neighbors! Nothing new.

Ok so I'm not much help, but it felt nice venting my frustrations! lol

Aspen and Misty
08-28-2002, 02:54 PM
Hey that is ok! I totally understand. Sometimes I just want to hang a sign around Chewy that says free puppy! But then he does something so sweet and I love him again. I can't stay mad at that cute face for to long. Like today. I bought a shirt and everyone was like omg I love your shirt so I was like this one is a definit keeper and chewy grabed the sleeve and wripped it! Grrr :mad: ! I just wanterd to lock him up and never let him up. But insterad I stood up told him he was bad and ignored him. He felt bad cause he knew I was mad and came over sat infront of me and hit me with his nose on my nose. He is so bad sometimes I wonder why I ever got a puppy. I love my Chewy but I hate it my whole family tells me to take him back and get a new one. Like he is a shirt or soemthing! My family expects him to be a minture Teddy though. Never walks in grass, walks perfect on a leash, knows every comand, never chews anything, caomes when you call. I'm sorry I do not ever ever want a perfect dog liek Teddy. Ok gee I need to stop yelling at your guys, you didn't do nothing. I just needed to vent.

Ash

PS: Any suggestions on things I need to do with him?

WolfQu2,

To bad you don't live closer! Then we could let the puppies play, cause chewy has no play mates and he out grew his last one LOL.

Aspen and Misty
08-28-2002, 03:26 PM
Hey, also if you have a screen name on aol we shoudl talk sometime if you want. Mine is Lowchen22.

Redd
08-28-2002, 07:37 PM
My Jacks is definately a dominant dog. He is hardly five months old and he is already protective of the house! When a friend visits and brings their dog he wont let it anywhere near me. He jumps in my lap and "smiles" at the other dog. I feel very safe with Jacks, but I dont want him to hurt any other dog [or person].

wolf_Q
08-29-2002, 01:27 AM
Sorry your shirt got ripped! I know things like that happen, Nebo has destroyed plenty of things. He bit my mom in a errr...bad spot lol and ripped a hole in her shirt. His real goal is to destroy or rugs though! Especially in the 5th wheel, they have those little fringes and it's too irresistable! I'm glad that at least you know that a dog is not something that you can just take back and get a new one. My mom's been hinting at crap like that too, saying if I would have got a female I'd be so much better off, etc. Too bad, I have Nebo, and he's staying. :)

Do you have AIM? Mine ID is wolfQU2 IM me sometime! Do you like the Lowchen breed? There's one in my puppy class, first one I've seen. He's a cutie---cream colored, his name is Bently. He has that lion type clip and everything. :D

Aspen and Misty
08-29-2002, 03:56 PM
I lvoe them! Also I call Teddy our Sheltie my little lion dog and Lowchen means little lion dog in German. But yea I'm in love with Lowchens! I am hopeing to buy Chewy a dig run so that he can spend some days outside. He doens't bark in a cage and is always well behaved! I hope my parents will get one as Chewy LOVES to be outside even tied up, but I can't just leave him out there because our yard is not completly fenced in yet, but the fence we bought and will be installign is only waist high and I am afried Cheyw will be able to jump it! He can already jump higher then my waist over the couch! He is a little athlete! He also plays soccer, ok I love the little mut! Evenif he eats my shirts :D .