PDA

View Full Version : Finally, words of wisdom re: allergies!!

Logan
08-27-2002, 08:07 PM
Read this!!! What a great article!!!

http://www.msnbc.com/news/799567.asp

Cincy'sMom
08-27-2002, 08:59 PM
Interesting article...didn't work for me though. We had 2 dogs til I was 2 years old and I am allergic to cats and many outdoor things (pollens, grasses and such)...not dogs though!!!

Former User
08-28-2002, 04:18 AM
I don't know if has got nothng to do with having pets all my life, but I'm not allergic to anything (except Kiwi :eek: :eek: )

AdoreMyDogs
08-28-2002, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty
I don't know if has got nothng to do with having pets all my life, but I'm not allergic to anything (except Kiwi :eek: :eek: )

I'm JEALOUS!!! LOL, Just kidding. Actually, I would love to be allergic to nothing except kiwi. I do like kiwi, but gosh, I am allergic to so much it's annoying. I do know that my mom had a dog and two cats when I was born, though. Maybe that explains why I am allergic to everything else except for dogs and cats??? Hmmm....interesting.

I sent this article to my friend who is expecting a baby and she's worried that her baby may be allergic to her dog and bird, so she is not getting another dog until after the baby is born, and it shows no signs of being allergic.

Thanks, Logan!

DoggiesAreTheBest
08-28-2002, 06:29 AM
That's a great article Logan. I am allergic to dogs and cats, but have been taking shots for it since we got Drake and do not plan on quitting either.

My children (it'll be a long time before that happens) will have dogs living with them. If they are allergic to it? They'll get the same treatment their mommy gets :D

Ann
08-28-2002, 09:00 AM
I actually read about this a week ago or so in a science magazine.

However, I grew up around animals and I'm allergic to TONS of things and I was close to developing an allergy to fur-animals too so I don't know if I belive in this or not...

jackiesdaisy1935
08-28-2002, 09:44 AM
Great article Logan, but no problem for all of you who are allergic, all you have to do is get a SCHNAUZER. LOL
Jackie, Miss Daisy and Perry

gini
08-28-2002, 11:31 AM
I have CNN on television right now. I just heard the lead in to this story and they said "you might want to go out and BUY A DOG!

BUY???

I would have loved to hear the word "adopt" used instead!

Sudilar
08-28-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by gini
I just heard the lead in to this story and they said "you might want to go out and BUY A DOG!

BUY???

I would have loved to hear the word "adopt" used instead!

You got that right, Gini!!! ADOPT should have been used!!! That would have been a perfect lead into a segment on death row dogs.....

Anyways, I have major asthma and allergies and I was brought up with birds and hamsters, but not dogs. After I got married, we got Wolf and I was very very allergic (asthmatically) to my heart-dog. Soooooo, I got shots weekly and took all kinds of medicine (even an experimental one from France) and it WORKED! Good thing, 'cause even though I suffered for a while, I was NOT going to give up my pooch!! Nowadays, the meds are so good, I am under control enough to have TWO dogs!! We've come a long way, baby!!:D

Dixieland Dancer
08-28-2002, 12:06 PM
Great article Logan!! I can't imagine life without an animal and luckily I am not allergic to them but if I was I would have to take Souraya's advice and medicate!! It would be worth it to me to have my furkids! :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-29-2002, 12:30 PM
I heard this too and was going to post it, but I'm glad you were more on top of it than me, Logan. :) I thought that was wonderful news. I believe we had one dog when I was a baby. Must have worked though because I've only recently developed allergies - and I believe it has everything to do with Chicago and air pollution - and no one else in my family has any allergy problems (they live in the relatively pure air of Northern WI), so I tend to believe it. Of course it wouldn't work for everyone, but the majority rules in my book. :)