PDA

View Full Version : When can my kitten go outside?

Saddlebred girl
05-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi i have a new kitten.I dont know exactly how old he is because i bought him at a petshop.I just want to know at what age is it safe to let him go outside?He has never been outside.I have had him for nearly 2weeks now.Thanks

Pawsitive Thinking
05-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Please don't let him out without having him neutered. You would have to check when that can be done with your vet

Taz_Zoee
05-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Why do you have to let him outside? Why can't he be an inside kitty?
Just curious. Welcome to PT, btw. And we love to see pictures around here. :)

shais_mom
05-17-2008, 12:10 PM
this forum is a large advocate for indoor only kitties.
but I see you live in South Africa so it might be out of norm there. Not sure so I don't have any advice b/c my advice is keep him inside even after he's neutered.

kb2yjx
05-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk!!! What is the name and colour of your little boy??? I have to agree, it may not be the norm in South Africa, but please keep him inside even after his is neutered. Then he will not be exposed to all the dangers that are out there!!! I have " only " 8 cats and not one of them go outside. EXCEPT with me on a harness and leash!! Indoor is the best place for your boy to be!!!

Laura's Babies
05-17-2008, 02:02 PM
I join the group to welcome you here! WELCOME TP PT!!

My 4 are in my siggy, all girls and they are all indoor only..If your boy is happy inside, why let him go out? He is safer inside although where you live it may be just as safe outside..? I like the attention of mine being inside only, I am selfish and love one in my lap as much as often, which they are and sleeping with me at night.. Love it! Love it! Love it!

kittycats_delight
05-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Welcome to PT! I agree with everyone else as to keeping kitty inside. I have 5 cats and a dog. All the cats are indoor only kitties and the dog doesn't go out alone...not even in our locked garden. I live in Italy and it is completely normal here and even expected for cats to go outside and for dogs to live outside all the time. I am not one of those that believes this though. My kitties are my responsibility. When I took them on I took on the responsibility of their lives. And to me that means keeping them as safe as I possibly can therefore they stay inside where there are not people or other animals to harm them. Where they are safe from cars, poisonous products (plants included) and disease. That's just the way I feel.

If you do decide to let you kitty out (and I don't think you should as he is too young to even know the difference of being outside and inside to want one over the other) then do not let him out before he is neutered and vaccinated in full. The vet will tell you when he should be neutered. (That usually happens around 6 months of age.)

Again welcome to PT. We would love to see pics of the little guy. We are all picture crazy here. :)

Michelle

MoonandBean
05-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Hi and Welcome to PT. As the mother of one indoor only and one indoor/outdoor cat, I can tell you that it is better to keep them indoors only. My Bean who goes outside isn't as much of a "pet" as Moon (the indoor only cat). He pretty much just uses me to eat, sleep and cuddle when he feels like it :). Don't get me wrong, I love him sooo much but I can't pet him when I want to or cuddle with him because he's always outside! He is obsessed with the outdoors and I could never change him but I wish I never let him out. I also can attest to the sleepness nights when he's not home and it's been longer than usual and I'm WORRIED that I'll never see him again and WORST is that I'll never know what happened to him and my mind goes to all sorts of horrible scenarios. Thank God he has come home everyday and he just came home now as I'm writing this but...everyday I pray when I let him out. Also, he has needed antibiotics a couple of times for bites and has to be treated for tapeworm on occasion (yuck). Anyway, hope this helps and enjoy your new kitten! Pictures please :)

Catlady711
05-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Every culture is different regarding pets in the homes. (I think in Arabia at one time it was the norm to keep horses in the house:eek:).

The risk of a disease or accident basically are very, very high for an outdoor kitty, even with full vaccination kept up to date.

The average livespan of cats:
Outdoor kitty - 7-9 years
Indoor kitty - 14-18 years
(remember this is only an average)

Neutering and vaccinations do increase the chances the cat will live a longer life, but given the dangers outside they do nothing to prevent accidents or deliberate foul play by very mean and sick people.

Even if the OP doesn't come back to read this, I wanted to post it for the benefit of others who may read this.

catmandu
05-17-2008, 05:17 PM
I WOULD CERTAINLY BE CAREFUL ABOUT LETTING A KITTEN OUTSIDE, ESPECIALLY IF HES NOT USED TO BEING OUTSIDE ON HIS OWN,
THERE ARE MANY THINGS THAT CAN DISTRACT A KITTENS ATTENTION.
AND ONCE A KITTEN WANDERS OFF ITS SO EASY FOR HIM TO GET LOST.
ARE YOU IN AN AREA WITH A LOT OF TRAFFIC AND ARE THERE A LOT OF DOGS AROUND THERE??
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/cats101706.jpg
LITTLE KITTENS ARE SO VULNERABLE SO I WOULD BE VERY CAREFUL.

Medusa
05-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Saubona! Kunjani and welcome to PT! (Not sure I spelled those greetings right.) I must concur w/my PT friends regarding keeping your kitten indoors. In my opinion, humans are the worst enemy of all of cats. Cars, bad kids, cruel neighbors, the list is long as to what endangers a kitten, not to mention the diseases they can get if not properly immunized. And if you don't have your little sweetie altered, more kittens will be the result. I do realize, though, that each culture is different and perhaps outdoor cats are common in S. Africa. Talk to your vet as to when you can have your kitty altered. Most say not before 4 months and usually at 6 months old it's safe but each vet can differ in opinion. We'd love to see pix! :)

Freedom
05-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Hello! I already posted a "welcome" in your thread in the Introductions.

I have 10 cats. All indoor. Three of them come outside WITH me, supervised, in the fenced in back yard. And they don't stay out long at all.

I lost one indoor / outdoor cat to the coyote who lives in the woods at the end of my block. Never again will I let them out without my supervision. Dazzle was 18 months old, and had been in and out all his life. He was focused on a mouse and the coyote was focused on HIM. :(

Please keep your boy safe. Cats can lead very full lives indoors, with a few toys, a climber or 2, and a place to watch out of a window.

moosmom
05-17-2008, 09:23 PM
I have 6 cats and the only one that goes outside is MooShoo, and only when he's on a harness or in his kitty stroller. The rest are strictly indoors. Please, keep your kitty indoors or on a harness when you do let him out.

But for your furbaby's safety, please keep him indoors.

Karen
05-17-2008, 09:55 PM
If your kitten is young, you can train him to a leash and harness now, and he will associate it with "ooh, goody - when I wear this I get to go outside!" Has he been to the vet yet? A good general check-up, and any needed vaccinations (I don't know what's needed where you are) and the kitten should be good for supervised (on a long leash) trips outside! That way you are not only there to scare off any predators (certain hawks and owls regard a young kitten as "snack food"), but you can watch and make sure he doesn't pounce on and eat anything he shouldn't! Certain lizards have Hepatic Flukes that can then kill a kitten or dog who eats the lizard.

kt_luvs_kitties
05-17-2008, 10:04 PM
All of mine are INDOOR ONLY! And may I say, I have NEVER had a kitty that went outside that lived more than 6 months. My dad did not believe in indoor kitties, until that last one that got killed at only 3 months. He never let his cats outside again.

I went on my own knowing that I would NEVER allow mine outdoors, too many dangers.

I sure hope you will change your decision, and good luck.

Welcome to Pet Talk.

Randy_K
05-18-2008, 01:07 AM
The culture isn't so different in South Africa as it is the USA or Europe. I have friends in Jozi (Johannesburg for the non-saffies here!) who keep their Abyssinian cats indoors.

Any cat can be perfectly happy living an indoor-only life and South Africa has its own special hazards for a little cat not commonly found on other continents. They don't need to go out!

Pawsitive Thinking
05-18-2008, 06:34 AM
From the other perspective ;) (well, you knew I was gonna pipe up didn't you? :))

My Brody is 3 and she has access to the outdoors whenever she wants.

My RB kitty Cally was 14 when she died from cancer - she was allowed out and my hubby's RB kitty Tweed lived until she was 18 - she was also allowed outside.

Maybe it all comes down to the nature of the cat and the dangers posed by the outdoor environment........

Medusa
05-18-2008, 06:40 AM
Maybe it all comes down to the nature of the cat and the dangers posed by the outdoor environment........

I'd say that's very sensible. Perfect world: all of my cats would be indoor/outdoor. It's their nature to be outdoors and to roam. Most of my cats, though, are special needs, so to allow them outdoors is out of the question. My parents didn't have pets when growing up and, when I came along and would drag a cat home and say that it followed me ;), my parents insisted on it being indoor/outdoor. But we lived in the city and I don't need to tell you of the dangers. Even as an adult, my cats were indoor/outdoor. It wasn't until I began actively rescuing that I kept them indoors because of their special needs. I have several friends who were born and raised in S. Africa and they told me that it is not their culture to have cats in the house but that it is a personal decision. They were shocked when they saw that I had 4 (at that time) indoors. I guess that may sound a little confusing, considering my previous post, because I do believe that humans pose the most dangerous problem but not everyone believes the way I do. That doesn't mean they're wrong.

Saddlebred girl
05-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Thanks everybody for your replies and advice.Im defenitly going to make him a indoor cat now.His name is whiskars and he is grey with dark stripes.I am struggeling to upload pics here.It just says invalid file.But i will keep on trying.

Saddlebred girl
05-18-2008, 07:53 AM
Hi here is a picture of my kitten he is so cute. http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll267/jaclynnevanzyl/photo-1.jpg

Freedom
05-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Hi baby, and welcome to PT! You have it made, ya know? Your mom is a part of the extended world wide family so you get all sorts of aunties and unkies to share in your life and send you love and good wishes!

You really are adorable, and your mom and going to have to post lots of photos of you and start threads all for you! Luv ya, sweet one!

Medusa
05-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Whiskers is a cutie pie alright! You're going to have lots of fun and lovin' together. :)

Moesha
05-18-2008, 09:15 AM
What a cute picture of a cute kitty! What a good idea to keep her inside!

kb2yjx
05-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Whiskars is PRECIOUS!!!!!! Glad to hear you will keep him INSIDE!!!!!!!!
YEA!!!!!! from the Campbell Clan of Cats: Norton(16), Raven(COTD 12/9/04 and 12), Tina Peepers(soon to be 12), Riley(soon to be 8), Hayley(4), Hope Simone(2), Nimet(2), and Bianca Rose(1)!!!!

columbine
05-18-2008, 10:39 AM
What a little sweetie! Hello, Whiskars! Your human is wise and loves you very much. Stop by any time for a lively discussion of toys, treats, and keeping healthy!

Love, Columbine

kittycats_delight
05-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Ciao Whiskars sei bellissimo!!! In case you don't understand Italian (not all my kitties do) you are beautiful! We can't wait to see you grow into a happy, healthy, fun loving little man. :D We have all girls in our house except the 'baby' Frost. Frost is the only boy and does he take advantage of that. hehehe He is quite the little mischief maker but a real lover boy too. :) Welcome to the PT family sweetheart!

You are doing a great thing for Whiskars keeping him as an indoor only kitty. If you ever have a question you have found a wonderful place to ask them. We have some amazingly knowledgeable people here that can answer just about anything you need to know. PT is a great family and we support and help each other as much as we can. You really have found a wonderful place. We look forward to getting to know you better and seeing Whiskars grow up. And would it be too forward to ask for .... MORE PICTURES .... only if you can.

BTW...if I haven't introduced myself my name is Michelle and I live in Italy with 5 cats and one dog. Vixen is the queen she just turned 4. Phoenix is the moody one, she just turned 5. Then there is Bella, she used to be feral but now is living the indoor life and is quite happy. She is almost 2. Frost is the baby, that is Bella's son. He will be 1 next Saturday. And last but certainly not least of the kitties is Vega. She is the sweet little wild child. She is just over 1. Then we have Artica our dawggie who is a border collie cross. She is also just over 1. I think that about covers it. Again welcome to PT. We hope you stick around. :)

Michelle

Taz_Zoee
05-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Welcome Whiskars!! That's probably what my Taz looked like at that age. I got him when he was a few months old.
It will be fun watching this little guy grow up. :D :D

Saddlebred girl
05-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks everybody.My name is jaclynne and i will defenitly keep everybody up to date on how whiskers is growing up.I will post more pictures.

gini
05-18-2008, 01:49 PM
A warm welcome to you and to Whiskers. You will be so glad that you joined our forum. If you ever have any other questions about your kitty, all you have to do is ask and there are so many experienced people on this board who will willingly help you.

I am happy that you will keep your new little love indoors. You won't be sorry.

carole
05-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Welcome to PT, and you have made a very wise choice deciding to make little whiskars an indoor kitty, who by the way it simply adorable.

It is not the norm in my culture here in NZ to keep cats indoor's,but if it is practical and you can do it, i say go for it.:love:

krazyaboutkatz
05-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Welcome to PT Jaclynne and Whiskers.:D You've found a wonderful pet forum here and we can help you with any other questions that you may have about your cutie pie Whiskers.:) I'm so glad to hear that Whiskers will be an indoor only cat. I'd also love to see some more pictures and hear more about him.:)

Pawsitive Thinking
05-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Be safe little cutie

MoonandBean
05-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Whiskers is adorable!!!!! Welcome to PT!