PDA

View Full Version : When is it time to get a new car?

CountryWolf07
05-16-2008, 03:56 PM
So, my 93' Honda Civic has been running great for a long time, until, lately, for about the past 6-8 months, all I've had was problems with it.

I am starting to think it can not handle the 2 1/2 hours drive back and forth from Columbus to Cleveland. Just recently, I got a flat tire, which was just something that was bound to happen. A week and half later, my alternator died ON THE WAY home from Columbus. Few days after, my coolant hose flew off the radiator, so, smoke started to come out of the hood, on the way BACK TO COLUMBUS! (notice something here?)

When is it time to get a new car? I am graduating next March; and it is just that I cannot handle this type of stress with my car, and I just wish it could hold on a bit longer, but I don't think it can... do you? Mike and a few others have said that my car is a death trap, but my mom just denies and says it just needs attention. ATTENTION? I think it's far more than just that. I've had this car since my Junior year in HS which was almost 6-7 yrs ago..

:(

Ginger's Mom
05-16-2008, 04:16 PM
My general rule is if I have spent more in the past 7 months on repairs (not normal maintenance) for the car than I would have put out for that same time period for monthly payments on a reliable car, it is time to get a new one. At this time, you would probably have to pay about $300-350 a month for a reliable car. If you spent more than $2200 on repairs in the past 7 months, it is time for a new car.

Karen
05-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Take it to a good mechanic, and just ask for a comprehensive evaluation on what will need repairs within the next year, and how urgent the repairs are, and an estimate on how much it would cost. How are the tires? How are the brakes? How's the radiator? The engine itself? Does it burn oil a lot? How's the exhaust system looking, and is that under any warrantee ... Then, sit down, figure out if any of it is stuff you could do yourself, and if you would be better off, financially, getting a new vehicle. Remember, every car gets to a point where keeping it going costs more than the car is worth. And even if you fix everything, you'll still have a 15-year-old car.

Taz_Zoee
05-16-2008, 04:29 PM
I agree with Ginger's Mom. My Chevy Cavalier started having fuel injection issues after 8 reliable years. That's when I decided it was time for a new car.
If you can afford a new(er) car right now, then go for it! Less stress for you on the trips back and forth. :)

Medusa
05-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Your car is 15 years old so it's bound to be having problems now. Have a good mechanic that you can trust check it out and tell you what things are imperative to have repaired so that you can at least drive safely. If you find yourself in the shop more than out, I'd say to start seriously looking.

CountryWolf07
05-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Your car is 15 years old so it's bound to be having problems now. Have a good mechanic that you can trust check it out and tell you what things are imperative to have repaired so that you can at least drive safely. If you find yourself in the shop more than out, I'd say to start seriously looking.

Yeah, I have been finding myself going to our good friend who is a mechanic, every time I am home and every time my car has been home, it always had to get repaired. I'm going to start seriously looking, and hopefully find something.

Catty1
05-16-2008, 07:25 PM
I think the health of the engine is the most important thing. Would your mechanic friend run a compression test for you?

Is it burning oil? (Is there BLUE in the exhaust?)

I had a 14 - year - old Honda Civic that I sadly sold several years ago...I kept up the oil changes, and added some great stuff from the PowerUp people (more on that is you want). Brakes and exhaust and tires will have to be done on any car. So ask your mechanic friend for his opinion.

BTW - My now-nearly 20-year-old Honda is still cruising the city streets - I know it by a unique bumper sticker!

Catlady711
05-17-2008, 03:51 PM
My rules for when to buy a new car:

It's time to buy a new car when.....

1) the repairs will cost a small fortune, more than the car's trade in value is.

2) I can no longer rely on the car running, or do not trust it to take me on long trips.

3) it smokes, stinks, rattles, is unsafe, or in general looks/acts like a running junk yard escapee.

4) it's needing alot of minor repairs but the total of them will cost a small fortune or repairs will cost more than the payments on a new one.

5) When any of the above are starting to be realized and there's a super, super sale at the car lot.

6) I can still get some money back from my car without having to PAY someone to tow it away as junk.

I average about 10 years and over 100,000 miles on my vehicles when I trade them in.