PDA

View Full Version : Help! I'm nervous to give notice to my employer...

Pembroke_Corgi
05-14-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm almost done with my Master's in Education and I'm going to be student teaching starting in August (1st grade!). I'm not technically quitting my job, as I will be keeping one night a week to teach piano lessons, but I will need to find a replacement for about 35 students.

I'm worried because my boss loves to be dramatic and act like it will be impossible to find a replacement...a teacher had to leave with only 6 students and she was very stressed. I also want to keep all my students until I have to leave, since I need the money and I also love all my students and I am actually quite sad that I have to leave them, so I'm worried she will replace me too soon.

How much notice should I give and what do I tell her? Help, please!!!

Pawsitive Thinking
05-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Can you talk to her about it - tell her what you have told us and offer to help find a replacement

kitten645
05-14-2008, 11:31 AM
I've seen similar situations and my suggestion is give two weeks notice. No more or you are sure to be replaced sooner rather than later. Two weeks is the correct notice. Be proactive in finding a replacement. Offer to do interviews etc. Teach your replacement as much as you can for a smooth transition. Hey, life changes! :cool: Anyone who expects someone to continue on the same job till they retire is not living in the real world. :rolleyes:
If there is drama and stress, just remind yourself its HER drama...HER stress. You are moving on. Good luck!:p

MoonandBean
05-14-2008, 12:21 PM
I hate when employers act like their general and financial well being is more important than the employees...AND they expect that the employee will feel that way too. I worked for a doctor once whose wife truly believed the world revolved around her and nobody else's lives mattered; not even to them :) I learned to be strong and you have to put yourself first because noone else will. "To thine own self be true" :)

Freedom
05-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Usually notice is one pay cycle, but not more than 2 weeks.

So if you are paid weekly, you could give one week's notice.

If you are paid monthly, you give 2 weeks notice.

I'm not sure what type of work you do. Do you have accumulated vacation time? Will you take it or take money for it? Take it now or at the end?

Let her be the dramatic one, that reflects on HER, not what you are doing, giving notice.

lizbud
05-14-2008, 04:31 PM
I think you are getting good advice here. Two weeks should be enough
notice.

Jessika
05-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Two weeks notice is usually what is "required" by most jobs I've ever worked at. Don't get too much into detail either; and don't worry if your boss acts dramatic about it! ;) Just type a letter stating when your last day of employment will be. You don't even have to go into any more detail than that.

Don't worry it'll be fine! :)

Rachel
05-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Personally I feel you need to look after your own interests first. Based on what you said, I would think that two weeks notice is sufficient. I agree with Jessika about not going into any more detail than necessary.

joycenalex
05-15-2008, 04:47 AM
i think 2 weeks is enough, ignore her drama, it's her issue. in the letter say something about how much you appreciate the opportunity you had to learn and expand your talents, blah blah.

smokey the elder
05-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Your boss' drama isn't your emergency. People come and go from jobs all the time. Corporate etiquette stipulates 2 weeks, so that should be fine.

Edwina's Secretary
05-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Gosh! Bosses...and if I understand in this case...business owners are people too!

If you know you are going to be leaving why not give all the notice you can? She knows you hve been going to school and I am sure expects some change upon your graduation.

You may find you want to keep a "hand in" and teach piano occasionally or as a supplement. How much better if you have left on the best possible terms.

You could start giving "warnings" and ask what you can do to help her find replacement. Between now and August you should be able to help her work it out.

Yes, two weeks is standard in the corporate world, but isn't this a bit different? What would you want if you were in her position?

Pembroke_Corgi
05-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. It's nice to be reminded that if she is dramatic I don't have to let it stress me out.

Yes, two weeks is standard in the corporate world, but isn't this a bit different? What would you want if you were in her position?

Yes, I do want to give her as much notice as I can. Part of the reason that I am so hesitant to let her know is because I really like and respect her. I feel like by leaving most of my students, I am letting her down. But she does know that I am in school, so she must realize I can't work there forever.

I'm going to tell her next week, since I just found out that my placement is official. I will offer to help her interview prospective teachers, since I really hope that my students will go to someone nice!

Wish me luck!! :)

MoonandBean
05-16-2008, 02:04 PM
GOOD LUCK! :) It'll be fine; it sounds like you're a really nice person and that will show through and I think she will appreciate your intentions.