PDA

View Full Version : PBS - Carrrier and One Six Right

RICHARD
05-14-2008, 12:32 AM
PBS ran two extremely wonderful specials in the last few weeks.

Carrier is a ten hour miniseries/documentary about life on an aircraft carrier. It's a great look-behind-the-scenes about life on a floating airport.

Most documentaries are short films about the jobs that need to be done on a warship.

"CARRIER" gives you insight about the people who actually do the jobs. Some are there without question, some question the reasons and their part in war on terrorism.

It's a well done, non partisan look at the lives and problems of the sailors on board the USS Nimitz.

----------

One Six Right is a documentary about the Van Nuys Airport-once touted as the busiest airport in the world - located in the San Fernando Valley.

The film chronicles the 75+ year history of the area and some of the aviation firsts it has been part of.

The photography is top notch and some of the scenes of the kinds of planes that call VNA home are truly amazing.

VNA is also been the set for movies like Casablanca and one of the Indiana Jones movies. Harrison Ford, an accomplished pilot, has one of the most beautiful planes hangered there. I was invited to watch the planes leave an airshow at VNA and got to see HF's plane up close.

If you like airplanes, check these two films out!

Laura's Babies
05-14-2008, 09:23 AM
I have watched some of that Carrier and found it very interesting. Just about my whole family was Navy and Ya know I work on a tow boat so I was interested! What I didn't see that I would have loved to see was the galley, their freezers, store room and refridgerators and heard how often they get groceries, ect...

Cinder & Smoke
05-14-2008, 11:24 AM
PBS ran two extremely wonderful specials in the last few weeks.

Carrier is a ten hour miniseries/documentary about life on an aircraft carrier.
It's a great look-behind-the-scenes about life on a floating airport.

"Carrier" was GREAT ...
Just wish I could have figured out WHEN my goofy PBS Station was showing them! :(

First night I think they ran 3 episodes in a row; second night it was another 2 ...
then *nuffin* more ... :(
Since then they've re-run several of the episodes at "odd times".

There's a rather interesting web site for the Carrier series >>>>

http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/ (http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/)

RICHARD
05-15-2008, 04:21 PM
"Carrier" was GREAT ...
Just wish I could have figured out WHEN my goofy PBS Station was showing them! :(

First night I think they ran 3 episodes in a row; second night it was another 2 ...
then *nuffin* more ... :(
Since then they've re-run several of the episodes at "odd times".

We have three PBS stations on the cable system and it's crazy. There are times that I have tuned in and watched a series out of order before I realize it!