PDA

View Full Version : Do you camp with your dog?

strass
08-27-2002, 10:42 AM
Hi all! We're getting ready to take Murph on his first camping trip in a few weeks. Luckily, we're going to a state park that has an area of the beach reserved for dogs and their people. It sounds like a great place. I'd welcome any tips, suggestions, etc. from people who've camped with their dogs. We think he's going to love it, and he's not a big barker, so I hope we won't have any problems... I'm sure his favorite part will be sleeping in the tent with us! :D

DoggiesAreTheBest
08-27-2002, 11:20 AM
Of course! That is one of Drake's favorite things to do. All of us enjoy camping and Drake has so much fun. Murph is going to have a great time!

Dixieland Dancer
08-27-2002, 11:30 AM
We enjoy camping with Dixie and Dusty!!! They love sleeping in the tent and we even got them their own self inflating air matress to sleep on (no sleeping bags though). :rolleyes:

Make sure you take long line to tie Murph up so you don't have to hold the leash all the time. Don't forget the beach toys!!! ;)

Have a great time! Wish I was going!!! :(

DoberMom
08-27-2002, 12:43 PM
We take our Dobe camping with us all the time. We have a motorhome and go to a lot of races. she absolutely ADORES going. Be sure to take insect repellant for the dog too. One thing I have that works well is a Citronella bracelet. I got it at the drugstore and I simply loop it through her collar. Also be sure to take plenty of 'pooper pickup' bags. Oh, one more thing. I have found that a spillproof water bowl is terrific. The opening is small so bugs don't get into it if you are leaving it out for her for a while.
Hope this is of some help.
DoberMom

"getting older means never sharing your life with all the dogs you wanted"[/QUOTE] :) :) :D [CODE]:)

wolf_Q
08-27-2002, 12:57 PM
Yeah we take our dogs camping all the time--they love it! We have a 5th wheel, and they sleep in that. I have a tent too, but it's not real big.

Have fun! Make sure to check him often for ticks/bugs in his coat, and check his feet, my dogs tend to get stickers and crap stuck between their toes.

lovemymaltese
08-27-2002, 01:25 PM
I took prissy little Tango one time and I believe that he was just as happy to see a bath as I was. He had had about enough of dirt, fire smoke and off spray. LOL

Goochina & Goochissimo
08-27-2002, 01:31 PM
Odie LOVES camping! We haven't taken Scout yet, because he's a pup and he's so much trouble when we aren't at home. He barks WAY too much, doesn't ride well in the car, etc. So, only day trips for him so far. ;)

Odie's favoritest thing in the world to do is to visit my parents house in the country. They have 43 acres and he is free to roam all the live long day. He LOVES it! Gotta watch for those sticker burs, but other than that he is in heaven. He doesn't even mind sleeping outside alone (my parents are NOT dog-in-the-house people).

lovemymaltese
08-27-2002, 02:18 PM
I can just picture Odie running as fast as he can making complete use of all those acres available. I bet he is in his own personal heaven.

sisterdog
08-27-2002, 05:02 PM
We took Checotah camping a lot when she was an "only dog". She loved the sleeping in the tent part the best. Now that we have 2 more dogs, camping is a bit impractical...

Tucker216
08-27-2002, 08:42 PM
What a perfect time for this question! We just went camping this past weekend and Tucker LOVES it! He even saved us from a skunk lol it was dark and we were all just sitting around the table when Tucker statred barking ( he hardly ever barks at things) we turned on some headlights and there was a skunk! ! Tucker kept barking and scared it away!! He is my hero ! :)
Things to keep in mind while you are packing... Toys Toys and more Toys! also LOTS of fresh water. Also if your baby has a special blanket or pillow make sure you take it alone too. The first time we took Tucker we left his pillow and he was restless all night long! Hope you have a great time! hugz Jessica and Tucker

KYS
08-27-2002, 08:56 PM
Here is a list of what we take camping when
we are gone for more than a few days.

Two dog leashes, 2 collars with id tags/license
per dog. (you never know when a leash or collar will break)
Tree trolly or tie out, tick/flea spray,
towel,comb, brush, tick remover tool, tweezers,
first aid kit. food dish, plenty of dog food, water, poop
pick up bags, shampoo, rabis certificate (even though we never have been asked to show it) plus vet info.
toy, and dog rug. I can't think of anything else right now.
After all that, I bet you do not have any room
for you and your stuff. lol

Dixie Belle
08-27-2002, 10:01 PM
We took Belle once. She tried to bite the game warden. We haven't been since the gang grew so much. No way we could control all of them! But Belle loved it!

strass
08-28-2002, 09:29 AM
Thanks for all the great advice, everyone!!

One more question--can you use regular "people bug spray," like Off, on dogs, or do we need to buy a special "dog bug spray"?

Luckily Murphy has his Lyme vaccination, so that's one less thing to worry about...

MHMama
08-28-2002, 01:52 PM
If you are going to a state park or most anywhere else you might camp, don't forget to take your dog's shot records with you. Tags aren't enough, they need proof.
We take Ricky & Lucy Tu with us camping all the time. We have a motorhome and belong to a club so we meet other club members for camping about once a month.
Remember if you decide you want to go to a restaurant near by or some other place that doesn't allow animals, you must have you dog under control while you are gone (like no barking).
Ricky and Lucy Tu love it but they are also able to go inside and just chill while we visit our friends. Sometimes pets get exhausted with all the going ons so make sure they get some quiet time.
Nancy

lovemymaltese
08-28-2002, 02:45 PM
oh they are so cute, all perched up on the top of that sofa like the king of the world.

KYS
08-29-2002, 12:35 AM
I use Frontline for my dogs,
and a good spray is: Adam's Flea and
tick spray. (also helps with mosquitos)
My dogs are not on continuance Heart Worm med.
so iF we are camping in the woods,
I have my Vet put them on a 4 month supply
of Heart Worm Meds.

I would buy a spray made for dogs, unless
you check with your vet and ask him
if the people bug spray is safe to use for dogs.

(also check warning lables when using any type
of dog spray) :)

Have lots of fun.
I can't think of anything else. :)

P.S. Try also keeping your dog from drinking any stagnant
water. :)

C.C.'s Mom
08-29-2002, 05:23 AM
We never go camping. We do hotels though, and Cookie loves them! Especially if they have a couch in the room because I allow her on it (not allowed at home, hehe).

I would really like to go camping, or get a camper or something. But... my husband only does hotels and isn't really in for a discussion when it comes to it.

lv4dogs
08-29-2002, 09:02 AM
Yup, my 3 go everywhere with me! They love camping. My fiance and I had to buy a bigger tent to accomidate the dogs. The above suggestions are great. Another important hint is to make sure they wear current ID tags and/or are microchipped just in case your pet should get loose. I have velcro pouches on my dogs collar that you can put an a piece of paper in and everytime we go camping I change the info. I write our cell phone #, campground name, site # and days we plan on staying also if I have any friends or relatives near by I add their information on their too.
KYS made a great camping/vacationing list!

TO SisterDog: My old friend had a dog that I gave him, named chekotah, also a female about 5 years ago and he could no longer keep it, so he gave it away. I was wondering if there was a connection as it is not a popular name?:confused:

strass
09-09-2002, 09:27 AM
Hey all!

Just wanted to thank you for the advice and tips! We got back from our first camping trip with Murphy yesterday. Overall, it went pretty well, although I think he was a little confused at first--"why are we out here in the woods??" He loved playing with a special rock he found, digging his hole, trying to catch moths, and running along the beach. He also enjoyed dozing in front of the campfire on my lap and sleeping between us in the tent (he doesn't get to sleep on our bed at home, so this was a BIG treat!).

We did have a bit of a problem with barking. Murph hardly EVER barks at home or while he's being walked, but while he was on his tie-out this weekend, he would bark like a completely crazy dog when bikers rode by or small children appeared. I think he was just frustrated at being restrained, but man, was he loud! Next time, we'll be sure to get a more isolated site, which we didn't have this time. And we may try a citronella collar.

Anyway...there's the report. I wish we had a digital camera so I could post pics. :rolleyes:

ramanth
09-10-2002, 10:12 AM
Good to hear the camping trip went well Strass! Kia loves to camp. Our only camping scare was that Kia figured out how to open the tent. So Andy woke up to find it was just him and I and no Kia. :eek:

He quickly looked outside and found that Kia hadn't wandered far. She was curled up by the remnants of the fire with a look that said.. "Where's breakfast?" :rolleyes: *laughs*

KYS
09-10-2002, 09:12 PM
Glad you had a great time camping. :)
We have that barking problem with Rocky,
every time somebody walks their dog by.
So we also try to find a secluded camp
space, but sometimes you just can't.
I leave a rolled up news-paper on the
table, and when Rocky starts up, I tap
the paper on the table.
It works sometimes. lol

yorkster
10-29-2002, 07:21 PM
I'm really late with a reply here, but don't get on PT much these days. I just had to reply though because we took Scout camping twice this summer and it was a great success! :)
We had a very secluded spot (we roughed it with no bathrooms, running water,etc.) and she absolutely loved it! And so did we.
We also did some hiking with her and she was well behaved. The thing she loved the most was swimming in the river which was very low and safe at the time.

Someone mentioned here in this thread about bringing vet records. A great idea, and I had not thought about that when we went. Next time I will take them for sure.

I've got to find the pics of her- she was so happy!