PDA

View Full Version : Friend's Pit was STOLEN... [UPDATE: ABEL IS HOME!!!!!]

Jessika
05-13-2008, 05:11 PM
A classmate of mine told me at school today that her pit was STOLEN out of her own backyard over the weekend... I know last week she caught some guys in the act of trying to steal him but her boyfriend came out with a shotgun and threatened to shoot them for trespassing, and of course they ran like mad...

I guess a family member didn't know not to leave him outside unsupervised, and within five minutes he was gone... my friend was at the store at the time.

She called the cops... and they pretty much told her it wasn't worth their time and they have more important things to worry about. Well I can't believe what is more important than ILLEGAL DOG FIGHTING!!!!!!!!!

I am FURIOUS that they won't do anything!!!

In the meantime she has put up posters offering a reward of $10,000 (yes, you read that correctly -- $10,000!!!!). It's half of her boyfriend's life savings, and the way she reasoned was they have to offer a bigger reward than the dog would be worth fighting.

I told her she needs to call the local Animal Control, all the local shelters, and the Humane Society of Missouri because they have a close-knit relationship with the police department about cases like this.

I'm just FURIOUS that someone was WATCHING them for the split second they weren't looking to steal him... he wouldn't hurt anyone either, this dog is as sweet as can be unless you're a stranger trying to cut him loose of his tie and trespassing in his yard...

Please everyone keep my friend and Abel in your thoughts that he returns home safely and that the police actually get off their lazy butts AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Karen
05-13-2008, 05:26 PM
How sad. She should try to speak to the chief of police, as well as the people you listed. She may have just gotten one person with an attitude, which is not representative of the whole force. At least I hope so. But posters, Animal Control - does her boyfriend remember anything about the people he scared off last time?

Jessika
05-13-2008, 05:28 PM
How sad. She should try to speak to the chief of police, as well as the people you listed. She may have just gotten one person with an attitude, which is not representative of the whole force. At least I hope so. But posters, Animal Control - does her boyfriend remember anything about the people he scared off last time?

Just a bunch of thugs from the inner city is all :(

And yes I know it isn't a representation of the whole force, which is why I'm really pushing her to contact Animal Control and HSMO because I KNOW they'll look into it :(

I just really hope Abel comes home or is returned home safe!!

chocolatepuppy
05-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Prayers that Abel is found soon.

buttercup132
05-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Do you have pictures and a rough area of where she lives to cross post?

Freedom
05-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Prayers for Abel; and for his family, too.

Jessika
05-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Do you have pictures and a rough area of where she lives to cross post?

No pictures but I'm sure I can ask her for some tomorrow

I know she lives in the Alton/Belleville, Illinois area, but whereabout *exactly* I'm not sure.

Thank you, everyone!

Seravieve
05-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Wow. Thats so disgusting that people think its ok to take someone else's pet.
Even more disgusting to think about people around the STL area dog fighting.
Such a stupid 'sport'.... :rolleyes:

Definitely contact all the Animal Controls and Humane Soc. She should email them all a flyer with a good pic of the poor dog and telephone number, so they could post it on door/waiting room.

I too hope Abel makes it home safe and sound.

buttercup132
05-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Alright, I'll wait to see if you can get pictures then cross post onto a pit forum.

BC_MoM
05-13-2008, 10:34 PM
They need to contact the news and papers! Make it an issue! Ugh... I hope they find him. :(

Jessika
05-14-2008, 03:45 PM
They need to contact the news and papers! Make it an issue! Ugh... I hope they find him. :(

Thats actually a REALLY good idea, however I'm not sure how well it would be received since most people already see pits as being "evil" and "dangerous" dogs, I don't know if they would want to help "save" one, sad as that might sound. But on the other hand maybe it will help shed light on local dog fighting?

She lives in Alton, Illinois but the dog could very well have been taken across the state border into East Saint Louis, which would make more sense. He was stolen on May 10 from their shop. She did give me pictures today and a little more information on him... he's about 110-120 oound pit (yes - BIG boy!), his ears are cropped but look like it was done in someone's basement with a dull knife... as in, they are cropped very unevenly and look very distinct. He is a blue pit, but a little darker, kind of like a darker Weimaraner, and he has two white spots on his chest. And his name, of course, is Abel.

They are still offering a $10,000 reward for him and posting signs all over St Louis and the Illinois side of the river as well.

Unfortunately the pics I have are all black and white and printed, so I will have to scan them. They're also from her cell phone (she just gave me what she had on her, otherwise I would have to wait until tomorrow for better, color pics), and as my in-laws business is still "open" the comp with the scanner is being used so I will have to wait until around 6pm to have access to scan them.

She has contacted local shelters, rescues, Pit rescues, local law enforcement as well as a lot of other animal groups in the area hoping to spread word, and when I told her some of you were asking for pictures and wanted to help spread the word too, she was almost drawn to tears. So thank you guys, so much for wanting to help, I will get you the pictures ASAP!!

EDIT: OH ALSO, she has pictures of the guys who they scared off last week from trying to steal Abel that they lifted from a video, she sent them to her uncle who works in law enforcement in another state to "clean up" and make them easier to see, and she will give me those pictures too because even if they aren't the ones who stole Abel I'm pretty sure they have connections to the ones who did, or definitely know about Abel's whereabouts!!!

pitc9
05-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Oh how horrible!!!
Maybe Denise (brody's mum) can do a reading and find something out that way.
http://www.pawsitive-thinking.co.uk/

mamad21975
05-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Wow that is horrible. I hope the efforts of your friend work and she is able to get her pit back. How scary. :(

DrKym
05-14-2008, 04:25 PM
No pictures but I'm sure I can ask her for some tomorrow

I know she lives in the Alton/Belleville, Illinois area, but whereabout *exactly* I'm not sure.

Thank you, everyone!

Crossposted to all the rescues in my old area, still have lots of contacts in the Alton area. There are several pit owners I contacted on Broadway also to keep an eye out for a "new" dog on the scene

K

Jessika
05-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Crossposted to all the rescues in my old area, still have lots of contacts in the Alton area. There are several pit owners I contacted on Broadway also to keep an eye out for a "new" dog on the scene

K

Ohhh thank you!! I have a strong feeling it was brought to the St Louis side of the river, but the dog could still be anywhere in the St. Louis metropolitan area - Illinois side AND Missouri side.

ramanth
05-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Prayers that Abel is found. :( :(

Jessika
05-16-2008, 09:03 PM
ABEL IS HOME!!!!!! ABEL IS HOME!!!!!!

She came in to our second class this morning in tears; her boyfriend called to tell her a lady saw the ad at the grocery store and recognized him because her son came home with him earlier this week and claims he "found" him but she didn't believe him.

She refused to take the $10,000 and only took $100 instead and said if they wanted to they could make a donation to her church.

She must have been an angel!!!

Moesha
05-16-2008, 09:05 PM
WoW that is awesome. So glad he is back and hopefully he will be watched closer now by anyone letting him out.

Jessika
05-16-2008, 09:13 PM
WoW that is awesome. So glad he is back and hopefully he will be watched closer now by anyone letting him out.

She is taking him back to her parents' so this won't happen again. When he was stolen he was at their shop and she ran to the store, her boyfriend's brother let him out I guess (he was on a chain though) and went to help a customer, and BAM he was gone :(

Karen
05-16-2008, 09:21 PM
So good - what a nice lady! :) And smart, too, not to believe that her son 'found" a clean, happy, well-fed, friendly dog. Prayers of thanksgiving being sent, and if your friend wants to make a small donation to her church, they can always send an "anonymous donation" to the church but mark "In honor of Mrs. Nicelady."

chocolatepuppy
05-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Great to hear Abel is home!:D

luvofallhorses
05-16-2008, 09:31 PM
I am so glad to hear Abel is home. :)

Catty1
05-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Great news! I just found this thread and was reading it through.

How old is this lady's son? Any idea if your friend will press charges?

I bet Abel is just tooooo happy! :)

Freedom
05-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Oh such wonderful news!!! Bet I know someone who is going to have a wonderful weekend!!! Thanks for keeping us up to date!

Seravieve
05-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Thats such good news!
I cant believe that guy... 'I found him...'
Geez.

3muttsandaboston
05-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Great news! I'm so happy he was returned. People who steal dogs are so dumb! I don't know what I would do if someone stole one of mine. You can adopt one at a shelter for a very small price if you want a dog that bad.

pitc9
05-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Who knows... maybe the person that stole the dog saw all the ad's and knew they we not going to get away with it so they turned the dog loose and the woman's son really did find her!
Who knows! Maybe we'll never know.

All that matters is that she's safe back at home!!

ramanth
05-17-2008, 02:26 PM
HORRAY!!!! That is awesome news. Welcome home Abel. :D

BC_MoM
05-17-2008, 02:40 PM
YAY! I am so happy he is home.:)

Jessika
05-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Great news! I just found this thread and was reading it through.

How old is this lady's son? Any idea if your friend will press charges?

I bet Abel is just tooooo happy! :)

He was in his 20's was all I was told, and they probably won't press charges since the only thing that matters is he is home SAFE!

Who knows... maybe the person that stole the dog saw all the ad's and knew they we not going to get away with it so they turned the dog loose and the woman's son really did find her!
Who knows! Maybe we'll never know.

All that matters is that she's safe back at home!!
I thought that too, but the way the lady described it didn't make it sound like he just "found" him. This lady was clearly a "good" person, and if she felt like her son was lying as to how he acquired the dog then there was probably good reason. However, I didn't meet neither of them so there's always room for doubt ;)

*LabLoverKEB*
05-19-2008, 06:27 PM
OMG YAYYYY!! I'm just thrilled to hear that sweet Abel is home, safe and sound!