PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Gray Kitty Needs New Home

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-27-2002, 10:18 AM
Hi all :-)

My mom has had a gray cat hanging around her house lately. She has started feeding him, but doesn't want to bring him in the house because of her Cranker (her ragdoll that defies all ragdoll personality traits). She says he is the friendliest kitty around. Whenever she goes outside he is right there, rolling on the ground and looking for belly rubs, then helping her hang the wash on the line and generally offering her some good entertainment. She takes the Cranker out on a leash, and the gray kitty attacks the rope and has a good ol' time with it, but if he gets too close, the Cranker will start hissing and put up a fit. She was hoping that the Cranker would at least tolerate him so she might consider bringing him in the house, but it's not happening. Right now it's really not a problem because the weather is nice, but she worries about what will happen once the weather starts turning cold (she's in Northern WI). And even though he's doing fine as is, they do live by a busy highway that has claimed many, many kitties through the years, and she would rather find him a forever home rather than have him take his chances outside with the wild critters (she has a woods behind her house) and the highway.

She is asking everyone she knows if they need a cat, but has had no takers yet, so I thought I'd ask here. We're heading up there this weekend, so if someone in the Chicago area was interested, I could bring him back home with us. I really wish I could take him, but Terry has put his foot down about no more in the house. He feels Tubby is too old to go through the stress of adapting to a new face in the house - and in the litterbox.

My mom says she figures he is pretty young, but adult size so not a little kitten anymore. He has all his claws, was in good health when he showed up (she figures someone dumped him off) and I'm thinking he's not fixed otherwise it wouldn't have been so easy for her to tell he was a he. She has not had him to the vet for any check-ups or shots or anything, but he seems to be happy and healthy.

I will try and get some pictures while we're up there, but hopefully we'll have a taker before then so all I have to do is worry about bringing him home in the motorhome.

zippy-kat
08-30-2002, 11:51 AM
any news ~or pics~ yet?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-30-2002, 01:59 PM
No, not yet. We're headed up there this weekend, so I'll be able to give a full report - and pictures on Tuesday. I have to keep telling myself I can't have him...no, no, no! ;)

Edwina's Secretary
08-30-2002, 04:34 PM
I'm thinking, I'm thinking.....

I've been trying to convince my parents to get a new cat (had to put Annie down last summer -- sarcoma.) They are in the country around Rockford. Problem is...my dad has been sick this summer (for the first time in his life) and is challenging. He's 80 and entitled.

I'll "probe" when I talk to them this weekend....

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-30-2002, 05:07 PM
Oh, oh, so that means I can bring him home....just in case. :D

Hmmm....don't know how that would go over with Terry though, 'Specially if it turns out they don't want him, because then what would I do with him? Well, I guess I'd just have to keep him. ;) :D No, don't think Terry would go for that.

But thanks for checking and let me know. I'd gladly make a trip back up there if they're interested, especially since Terry will be busy all next weekend (trade show, ugh) and I'll have the weekend to myself. I could either drop him off on my way home, or I could bring him to you and you could bring him up there, or, or...I guess we can work on that when they decide.

Thanks!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-02-2002, 06:29 PM
Well, we just got back from visiting my parents, and we got to meet "Goofy." He is the sweetest, most lovable kitten around! I couldn't believe how friendly he was, and his motor was running the instant we touched him. I figure him to be at most, 6 months old. His...private parts...are there, but I don't think he is sexually mature yet - but I really have no basis for saying that. He has that long legged look of a kitten, and he is still quite small, so I just estimated.... He is gray tiger stiped, with a white chest, tummy and paws, with a little white on his face. I took a few pictures, but haven't gotten them off the camera yet.

The good/bad news is, I mentioned that I might have a taker for him, and instantly my mom's face fell, and she says "Well...I don't know if he'd be happy anyplace else." I figured he'd work his way into her heart, I just didn't figure it would happen so quickly. And it turns out my dad (whose has a reputation of hating cats) and my brother are already very attached to this little guy. My dad is the one that named him Goofy. :rolleyes: So it looks to me like he has found a forever home already.

I'm really sorry, Sara, if your parents had said they would take him, but maybe this has opened them up to rescue another kitty at a shelter....a kitty that really needs a forever home.

The only thing is I wish my mom would let him in the house, but I'm sure that will come soon. And my dad is already talking about making him a house for outside. I just worry because the history of kitties being killed on the highway that is near their house. There is a lot less traffic on it since the interstate and more important aterial roads opened up, but I still worry about the little guy. Although he shouldn't roam once they get him fixed (which will be done soon), and there's no reason for him to roam for hunting puposes since he is well fed already (has his own little food bowls right outside the back door). And the Cranker is getting more used to him too. Not exactly accepting him yet, but not hissing at him when he come near either. AND it's almost as if the Cranker doesn't know how to act these days because of this little bundle of competition. He even let me pet him this weekend - twice!!!! - which has never happened since the day I brought him there.

So, to make a long story short (yeah, right :rolleyes: ) he's a little sweetheart, just loves to cuddle, but has found a forever home in the three human hearts that reside there. :)

PS - look for pictures tomorrow (Tuesday).

AmberLee
09-02-2002, 07:00 PM
What good news! Goofy sounds ADORABLE and like he's wormed his way into a wonderful forever home. I'm sorry for Sara, but... it sounds like a great opportunity for little Goofy to 'bloom where he was planted', if you'll forgive the cliche.

{{{hugs to you both}}}

zippy-kat
09-03-2002, 12:54 AM
GREAT NEWS!

Edwina's Secretary
09-03-2002, 10:42 AM
Well gosh -- what WONDERFUL news for Goofy. My hard drive crashed at home this weekend (it sounded like ping pong balls being batted around inside of it and then ..............nothing!)

Anyway...I was making progress with my mother....she called me back yesterday...but truthfully...my dad's health has affected her more than she would like to admit. They have a young dog -- KC and perhaps he is all they should have at this time.

I am soooo...glad though about Goofy. He should ask Fister and Edwina the techniques they used -- he'll be in the house and on the "big bed" in no time!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-03-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
I am soooo...glad though about Goofy. He should ask Fister and Edwina the techniques they used -- he'll be in the house and on the "big bed" in no time!

:D :D Just what I was thinking when my mom first told me "...but he's not coming in the house." :D

Thanks again, Sara, for making the effort, we do appreciate it. :)

So here are some pictures.

First thing he does when you walk towards him is flop down and roll over. I gave him a few tummy rubs, then backed off to take pictures and he looked at me as if to say, "Where you going? I'm not done with the tummy rubbing yet!"
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid30/pca3fd261222d97299d8225a1cd9fef9f/fd50c250.jpg

We had dinner on the picnic table in the backyard, which is normally his resting place. He was such a good kitty and didn't beg ('suppose he hasn't learned that one yet.:rolleyes: ) but he did sit on the fence and watch every move we made.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid30/p7831d3e86efdf9db05f4351810f84536/fd50c245.jpg

We were done with dinner and somebody started talking to him, so he immediately got up and started rubbing on the fence before he ran over to us and offered his tummy again. (can't believe I didn't get one of those tummy shots).
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid30/pa601066725e7738dd84b995cf1dc2086/fd50c235.jpg

Then Monday morning my mom came down to the motorhome to gab before we left, and look who followed her. He heard us talking in the motorhome (we had the windows open) and he sat outside and talked to us. He's such a little sweetie. My mom left right away when we noticed him out there because she doesn't want him down there, too close to the road.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid30/p7e8f9a409e5efdcda0f71f586135ca0f/fd50c205.jpg

zippy-kat
09-03-2002, 12:09 PM
What a gorgeous guy!! Soooo glad he has a home!

Great pics--thanks for sharing!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-03-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
What a gorgeous guy!! Soooo glad he has a home!

Yeah, me too. He even had Terry melting, and if my mom was insistent on getting rid of him, Tubby & Peanut just might have had a new little brother.

I can't believe someone just dumped such a little sweetie. One of their neighbors (on the other side of the woods) had seen him too, but has also see another one that looks a lot like him. So I'm thinking whoever it was dumped two little kittens in the woods. We have no idea what happened to the second one. :( I just don't understand some people. :mad:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-11-2002, 01:21 PM
Hi Everybody :-)

Just a quick update on Goofy. I talked to my mom last night and he is doing great. She now calls him "No-nuts" or "Nummie Nuts" because he had his surgery and is now without...err...some parts. ;) :)

They made a little house for him and put it in a protected spot so he has somewhere to go when it starts getting cold. He gets a fresh bowl of food and water everyday, and she said he's always out there to greet her when she goes outside.

She always ties up Cranker when he is outside, and I guess Goofy plays with his rope. :D The Cranker will move a few feet, dragging the rope, and Goofy will attack the rope, roll in it, get tangled in it and just have a good ol' time with it - and all the while the Cranker can't move 'cause Goofy is on his rope. :D Goofy will finally let the rope go, the Cranker will move again, and it all starts over. Needless to say the Cranker isn't too pleased with the whole business. :D I find it hysterical because he needs to lighten up some anyway. What better than a goofy kitty to get him to do that. :D

So I just thought I'd let you know he's doing good. Oh, and even the vet made the comment that "He's such a nice kitty." All he wants is to be petted, and will roll over and ask for tummy rubs as soon as he sees someone. What a goofy kitty. :D

sasvermont
10-11-2002, 01:44 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/pe57779d24b42648f21e309c1503b4c51/fd8219e9.jpg

Having a buddy to beat up seemed to help this "Cranker" aka Gabe.

Glad to hear Goofy has a new home.;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-11-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by sasvermont
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/pe57779d24b42648f21e309c1503b4c51/fd8219e9.jpg

Having a buddy to beat up seemed to help this "Cranker" aka Gabe.

Glad to hear Goofy has a new home.;)

That's it exactly, SAS. :D Even when he's happy he's got that cranky look on his face. :D

My mom did say that Goofy will go up to the Cranker and roll around and show his tummy (signs of submission) but the Cranker just maintains that he is cranky and wants nothing to do with Goofy. And if Goofy gets a little too rambunctious and gets a little too close, the Cranker will swat him one. I'm wondering how long it will be, though, before Goofy realizes that these swats don't mean anything because the Cranker doesn't have front claws....and Goofy does. ;) :D

Edwina's Secretary
10-11-2002, 02:05 PM
Dear Gabe (and Cranker)....

Does the song lyric..."So put on a happy face..." mean anything to you guys???? :D ;) :D ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-11-2002, 02:11 PM
Here's another good picture of the Cranker at his best. ;) :D
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid35/p36a17da5e5b5ca80c06fa321226c6ef4/fd2de055.jpg

He is just like Gabe was. Will hiss, swat and growl at everybody except my mom and dad. He especially doesn't like kids though, so we have to make sure they stay away because sometimes they just don't understand and will reach out, and he has been known to bite. :rolleyes: And you were wondering why we call him the Cranker. :)

sasvermont
10-11-2002, 09:20 PM
Well, tonight, my little cranker got the best of me. I was trying to keep Gabe from walking into a ditch near the road, and it was not on his program schedule, so he bit and scratched me. Here is a little photo of the damage.

I hope Goofy knows that although your little Cranker may have no front claws, the back claws and teeth certainly make up for it!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid35/pf31ba275896afbf89b3a541922a6018a/fd2da02c.jpg

Watch out for those Cranker Ragdolls. They are lovers one moment and devils the next! :rolleyes:

Pam
10-11-2002, 10:21 PM
Wow Sallyanne - that's nasty looking!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: It looks like Gabe's 'other personality' has reared its ugly head once again. I really do see a remarkable similarity between Gabe and Cranker in looks as well as personality. Geesh, why can't they be as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside. :(

sasvermont
10-12-2002, 07:32 AM
Well, Gabe finally came inside last night, at the end of a lasso. It was getting dark and he just couldn't stay outside by himself, so I lassoed the poor devil. You should have heard him. I finally dragged his furry body into the hallway and from that point on he was fine. Just like nothing had happened. He came inside the house - to the kitchen and started eating. Right now he is by my side. I am going to start to call him Cranker from now on....as a term of endearment.

My wrist is just fine.

So here is the warning for Goofy - get ready for the war.....just make sure you have an escape plan!:eek: :eek: :eek: