PDA

View Full Version : 27 cats/kittens abandoned

moosmom
05-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Ya know, there is such a simple solution...

SPAY and NEUTER YOUR EFFIN CATS!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

CROMWELL, Conn. -- Cromwell animal control officers said nearly three dozen cats were crammed in pet crates and abandoned in a parking lot on Tuesday.

A passerby called police after spotting three pet carriers packed with kittens and adult cats at the Blockbuster Plaza off Route 372 just before 11:30 a.m.

Officers found 27 kittens ranging in age from three weeks to four months and three adult cats. They were sitting in feces and left in the hot sun.

Cheryl Gagnon, Portland Animal Control, said the cats will be separated into foster homes. Some of them will go to Cat Tails and others will be housed at a veterinarian. Gagnon said a couple of foster homes will take in some of the litters.

Animal control officers said the cats will soon be up for adoption.

The animals were taken to an animal shelter in Portland and were being evaluated by a veterinarian. Preliminary exams showed no signs of abuse, and all of the cats appeared to be healthy.

The Cromwell police are investigating and have asked for the public's help in finding the people who dumped the cats.

I hope they find the jerk who did this and cram his sorry arse in a carrier in the hot sun. This is one of the reasons I don't like people much. Present company excluded, of course.

krazyaboutkatz
05-12-2008, 09:07 PM
How horrible.:( I'm so glad that they were found in time and that all appear to be healthy.:)

Medusa
05-13-2008, 06:54 AM
You're right, Donna, but I sometimes think we're talking to the wind. Just the other day I talked w/a woman who has a farm and, of course, a lot of farm cats. She said that she lost count after 37. I asked her why she doesn't have them altered and she said that it's too expensive. I said "I know that it's pretty expensive to feed 37 cats because I've done it during the time I was trapping them for altering" and she said "I live on a farm! That's just the way it is! They inbreed a lot, too." I could tell I was wasting my breath.

Laura's Babies
05-13-2008, 09:13 AM
When I find someone like that Medusa, I offer to help them find help in getting the S/N done. I tell them what they have is great and it is called a "sanctuary" and there are things in place to help them. I make sure I tell them the world NEEDS people like her that has a place for them and if it is numbers she wants, the S/N will reduce the kittens but there are many, many more that need a place to go if she was willing to take them.. I can't tell you how many times I have stopped at the flea market where someone has a bunch of kittens and do my S/N speech and tell them all the help there is out there to get that done for free to low cost.

To dump this kitties out in a kennel somewhere and just to abondon them like that is heartbreaking. That is a text book case of not S/N'ing and suddenly getting overwhelmed.. Then just dump their problem on the rest of the world..:rolleyes:

Medusa
05-13-2008, 09:41 AM
You're right, to dump kittens is a sin in my opinion, and it causes a problem for people other than herself if they're dumped somewhere. This woman knows all too well what options are available to her but she won't take advantage of them. Her excuse: "I'm too busy. I'm up at 4:00 to milk the cows, then I'm off to work, then more to do on the farm when I get home. I can't worry about a bunch of cats." I find this attitude all too often.

moosmom
05-13-2008, 04:17 PM
It puts a burden and heavy strain on all the shelters since it is now kitten season. *sigh* Not to mention all the people like us involved in animal rescue.

catmandu
05-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Not To Mention That That Many Kittens Will Probably Displace
The Older Cats Who Have Been Trying For A New Home.
I Remember This Oaf Who Every Few Months At The Price Chopper Giving Away Boxes Of Kittens.
When I Suggested Spaying His Cat, He Told Me To ^^&())) Off.
I Heard Him Later Laughing That The Momma Cat " Disappeaed"
And They Would Only Have Male Cats.
What A Shame That There Are These Unfeeling Creeps In The World.

momcat
05-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Preliminary exams showed no signs of abuse, and all of the cats appeared to be healthy.

If this isn't abuse I don't know what is!

My thoughts about what should be done with this @!!&*^@# just cannot be posted here. I respect all of you far too much to say it out loud!!!!!

Sweet kitties, I hope in time all of you will realize whoever did this to you does not represent ALL humans. There are many of us who love you and pray that each of you will find a home where you'll know nothing but :love::love: and more love

Catty1
05-13-2008, 07:30 PM
As horrendous as this abandonment is - God BLESS the angels that are looking after them. :love:

Many Offer Help For Abandoned Cats

http://www.courant.com/media/photo/2008-05/38606401.jpg

THREE KITTENS and their mother, found abandoned along with 26 other cats in Cromwell, sit comfortably in a cage at Catales, an animal rescue organization in Middletown. A passer-by found three pet carriers in a parking lot on Shunpike Road packed with 30 cats -- 27 kittens and three mother cats. Fifteen of the cats are at Catales awaiting adoption. Fifteen others are being cared for in foster homes, also awaiting adoption. The kittens range in age from about 3 weeks to about 4 months. (CLOE POISSON / May 7, 2008)

By JODIE MOZDZER | Courant Staff Writer
May 8, 2008

CROMWELL — - A day after 30 cats were found crying, hungry and covered in feces in a parking lot, Animal Control Officer Cheryl Gagnon has been inundated with adoption offers and questions about donations.

What's missing is any information about how the cats got to the parking lot of the shopping plaza on Shunpike Road, near the intersection of Route 372. They were found near the entrance to the plaza, and close to a KFC restaurant. There were three adult cats and 27 kittens left in three separate crates, Gagnon said. She received a call from someone who spotted the cats at about 11:30 a.m. Tuesday.

"When I looked at them, I was appalled," Gagnon said.

The cats had been left in the sun without food or water, and Gagnon estimated they had been there for one to two days. One of the crates was so large it took two people to lift it into Gagnon's van. The police department is hoping someone who might have seen a person unloading the crates will call with information to aid the investigation. The person or people who left the cats could face animal cruelty charges for abandonment, Gagnon said.

http://www.courant.com/media/photo/2008-05/38606412.jpg
Volunteer Sue Ewanowski of Middletown latches a cage after refilling food bowls for two of the kittens who were found abandoned in Cromwell Tuesday at Catales, an animal rescue organization in Middletown. (CLOE POISSON / May 7, 2008)

By Wednesday afternoon, Gagnon had already received more than 30 applications from people seeking to adopt the cats, and had fielded dozens of calls asking how people can donate food or money. The police department keeps a Special Needs for Pets fund, which helps with animals found by the animal control officer. Any donations made specifically for the cats will help offset the costs of housing them and giving them medical treatment before homes can be found.

In about a week, 15 kittens will be ready for adoption. The 12 younger kittens will be ready in seven weeks, Gagnon said. Foster families are caring for the adult cats and the young kittens for now. Fifteen kittens are being housed at Catales Inc. in Middletown, a nonprofit cat rescue organization.

To help, contact Gagnon at 860-635-2256, or at [email protected].

Contact Jodie Mozdzer at [email protected].

shepgirl
05-13-2008, 08:59 PM
We're lucky over here. I want to take make a shelter for stray dogs and catswith a barn not being used. We can get monetary help with the spaying and neutering and we have wonderful people that will rehome them. I am lucky that I can get bargains on food also. Bless our SPCA and our vets. Always plenty of food for animals here. We get huge discounts on kibbled foods which we don't need since we feed raw.

moosmom
05-14-2008, 08:19 AM
I stopped by Catales (I'm a volunteer there) yesterday and grabbed these babies and buried my face in their fur. There's nothing like it. It hurt my heart for what's happened to them, but am comfident they'll find happy homes quickly.

Another Happy Ending!!:love:

nancys
05-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I could cry when I read things like this, but thank God, they were found in time and that they are healthy. I hope they all find good homes.