PDA

View Full Version : Finally going to college at 35...

Scooter's Mom
05-10-2008, 03:29 PM
I never went to college after high school. However, I work for the University of Phoenix and part of the employee benefit package is free classes (you have to pay for books and a few other minor fees). I have worked there since November of 2002, and I finally decided to take the leap.

I start my classes on Monday the 12th. Yes, in 2 days. I will be starting my Associates of Arts in Psychology. I have always been interested and intrigued by psychology, and I figure if it's something I am going to actually manage to do, it needed to be something I am interested in even if it may not be "practical".

So here goes! I will probably be around a little bit less often than I am now. I will try and pop in at least a few times a week though. It's been 18 years since I was in school, so this may be really hard for me. I hope it isn't!

I just had to share with everyone. It's never too late to start school.

Crystal

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
05-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Congratulations! It's never too late to start, and you'll never regret it. My aunt is 45 and she's going back, actually, to finish. Good luck! Let us know how it goes. =]

Taz_Zoee
05-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I found that going to school later in life was actually easier for me. Although now I am the same age as you and I'm just plain lazy. But I really do need to take accounting courses. Maybe you can tell me how well it's going and it will inspire me to get off my butt. :)

Karen
05-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Congratulations. It is never too late!

chocolatepuppy
05-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Best of luck!:D

Freedom
05-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Best wishes, Crystal!

With 5 fur kids to urge you on, and to cuddle when you are tired, you have a great support base in place, te hee.

Medusa
05-10-2008, 06:04 PM
That's wonderful! It won't be difficult for you at all. Keep telling yourself daily "I am able and God is willing and together we can do it!" You're to be commended for going back to school and taking advantage of free classes. :)

lizbud
05-10-2008, 06:45 PM
What a great idea. Best of luck with all your classes.:)

shepgirl
05-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Fantastic, and no need to worry. The older we get the more we thirst for knowledge, you'll do great. You'll never regret this decision.

Rachel
05-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Congratulations on your endeavors. And no, it is never too late. In five years you will still be 40 whether you went to school or not. As for a degree in psychology not being *practical*, there is some truth to that, but in the process of taking these classes you might find an area that you definitely know is of interest to you...a school psychologist, clinical psychologist, etc. and then on to your master's degree. Even if you do not end up majoring in psychology, these courses are a good base for your overall education.

My husband started taking classes toward his second master's degree at age 60 (while holding down a full time job) so don't you worry about being too old.

Medusa
05-11-2008, 07:51 AM
even if it may not be "practical".
Crystal

It took me this long for it to dawn on me what you wrote. Not practical? Are ya kiddin'? The whole world is crazy! ;)

catnapper
05-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Awesome! I wish you best of luck in your studies.

You're never too old to go back to school. My husband went back fulltime when he was 35 to get his teaching degree. He made some sacrifices but he knew its something he always wanted to do but never did.

RedHedd
05-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Congratulations! I recently went back to college for the fourth time this last semester and am taking Anthropology classes. The local community college offered a class in Archeology of the Bay Area - it was the archeology part that caught my eye - a secret passion and interest of mine for a very long time.

The teacher is fantastic. It was a short three-week, one unit class, but I learned so much and a fire has been lit in me to learn more. I'm going back in the fall to take the second half of this class and perhaps more. Who knows where this will lead? It's NEVER too late to go back to school. When we quit learning, we quit living. I'm in my mid-50's and have a girlfriend in her 60's and one in her 70's who are both taking classes.

Emeraldgreen
05-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Good for you! That is so awesome. :)

CountryWolf07
05-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Congratulations! :)