PDA

View Full Version : What Makes People So Gullible?

lizbud
05-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I'vee heard about other religious groups that just blindly follow relgious
gurus & never question what they are told. What is it about the so
called "religious influence" that leads folks to do such crazy things?

Family Leaves Corpse On Toilet For Weeks
Religious 'Superior' Claimed Body Would Come Back To Life, Police Say

POSTED: 8:57 am EDT May 10, 2008

MADISON, Wis. -- Two children and their mother are said to have lived for about two months with the decaying body of a 90-year-old woman on the toilet of their home's only bathroom.

Wisconsin authorities say a religious "superior" had claimed the corpse would come back to life.

The children, ages 15 and 12, cried hysterically Wednesday after a deputy who came to the Necedah, Wis., home looking for the woman, Magdeline Alvina Middlesworth, ordered them out because of the stench from the body.

According to the criminal complaint, Middlesworth's sister called sheriff's officials Wednesday and asked them to go to the home about 80 miles north of Madison to check on the woman, who had not been heard from for some time.

The children are in foster care. Their mother, Tammy Lewis, and self-described "bishop" Alan Bushey remain in custody on felony counts of being a party to causing mental harm to a child.

Lewis told a deputy that Middlesworth, who one of the children referred to as "grandmother" in the criminal complaint, had appeared to pass out as Lewis helped her into her underwear.

She said she propped Middlesworth on the toilet and left the room to call Bushey, who told her to leave the woman alone and pray for her, the complaint said. He said he had received signs that God would raise her from the dead with a miracle.

Lewis went on to say she thought Middlesworth was still breathing when she put her on the toilet and called Bushey, instead of an ambulance. She later told a detective she put the woman on the toilet on March 4.

An autopsy has been performed, but results won't be available for some time, Juneau County Sheriff Brent Oleson said.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

RICHARD
05-10-2008, 01:28 PM
I have to pass on this one.

-----------

The thing that really bothers me is the fact that "God" makes such bad judgement in picking the people that he 'talks' to.

He's supposed to be all knowing and all seeing, I guess he has to work on his character judgement skills?:confused::(

lizbud
05-10-2008, 01:38 PM

-----------

The thing that really bothers me is the fact that "God" makes such bad judgement in picking the people that he 'talks' to.

He's supposed to be all knowing and all seeing, I guess he has to work on his character judgement skills?:confused::(

Well, one thing I do know is, although the religious leaders might really
hear voices, they are not from the Almighty.

DJFyrewolf36
05-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Well, one thing I do know is, although the religious leaders might really
hear voices, they are not from the Almighty.

I second this one...

Catty1
05-10-2008, 06:53 PM
RICHARD - bad pun BOTH ways! Naughty boy!!!! ;)

shepgirl
05-10-2008, 07:34 PM
I thought Richard was a nickname for a girl...lol. Just goes to show how gullible we are Richard. Better say a few extra prayers tonight, those were not nice things to say about God...
Seriously, what makes us so gullible to some of the posts we read on forums?
Human Nature I guess....

Cinder & Smoke
05-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Richard ...
Better say a few extra prayers tonight,
those were not nice things to say about God ...

I think you'll find that RICHARD has a good 'nuff Relationship with God that
ole RICHARD can say just about whatever he wants to ...
Without fear of a :eek: *Lightning Bolt* making a surprise appearance.

Catty1
05-10-2008, 11:33 PM
shepgirl, RICHARD also use "God" in parentheses...meaning kind of tongue in cheek...where people/religious leaders seem to BRAG that God has told them that this dead lady on the toilet will be raised to life...well, heavens, it always seems to be borderline cases that fall for this.

(remember the poisoned kool-aid that a whole cult decided to drink because of what their leader said? Jim Jones, was it?)

Twisterdog
05-10-2008, 11:38 PM
I would say in this case it has less to do with being gullible, and more to do with mental illness.

I have a button that says, "God, protect me from your followers."

Nuff said.

Jessika
05-11-2008, 12:06 AM

-----------

Gotta agree on lizbud on this one... lol

They probably are hearing voices, but they aren't from God. :(

sumbirdy
05-11-2008, 12:18 AM
That's disgusting!

But I have a question, if that was their only bathroom, when they had to go, WHERE did they go?

Medusa
05-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Yes, there's a difference between intuitive guidance and psychosis. Being the skeptic that I sometimes am, I wonder if this "leader" heard anything at all but just wanted to appear as all powerful and exert authority over these people, so he gave those instructions. That doesn't account for their blind obedience to his word, however. Fear of disobeying him, perhaps. Whatever it is, I've grown weary of people hiding behind religion in order to excuse criminal behavior.

shepgirl
05-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Awww, I knew all along Richard had special connections. I did catch his joke..."tongue in cheek...lol".
I wondered the same thing as sumbirdy...if it was the only toilet, where did they go?
I was wondering if maybe the whole thing was a hoax....

RICHARD
05-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Oh, I have had my trials and tribulations that the Lord has put me through-
When that happened I had to believe in Man Upstairs- chance doesn't have a sense of humor or the power to shake the tree you are sitting in.

------

And when I do hear voices inside my head?

I take off the headphones!:confused:;)

momoffuzzyfaces
05-12-2008, 12:59 PM
That's disgusting!

But I have a question, if that was their only bathroom, when they had to go, WHERE did they go?
I wondered that too. Mercy, I hope they didn't sit on "grannies" lap!!!!:eek:

Pawsitive Thinking
05-13-2008, 09:19 AM

Eeeeewwwwwwwwwwww

sumbirdy
05-13-2008, 11:37 PM

Oh let's hope not! :eek: And when they showered and got dressed in the bathroom, did she "watch" them? *shivers* It's all too creepy for me. I couldn't stand to have a dead person in my house with me for months, no matter how much I loved them when they were alive.