PDA

View Full Version : Do Cats hold Grudges?

critter crazy
05-09-2008, 10:50 AM
LOL!! A few days ago, Duke accidentally stepped on Mocha, as he was comming into the house. Since then, Mocha has gone out of her way to show her disgust for Duke!! If he comes anywhere near her, she will attack! I mean a full fledged attack!! Nails claws and everything!! She hisses, growls ect... Will this behavior stop?? Or is mocha officially a Duke Hater???http://pets-n-people.net/vb/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif:eek:

kuhio98
05-09-2008, 11:44 AM
It'll probably pass after she's sufficiently punished him enough. And after he's sucked up to her until she's satisfied.

True stories ~ #1 When I was a kid, my father rubbed kittiy's nose into a pee puddle. Kitty never forgave Dad and took every opportunity to pee in his (only his) shoes.

#2 Years after hubby and I met, he told me how he had neutered a cat with knife and no anesthesia. :eek::(:mad: Half an hour after doing so, the kitty came up to him, curled up in his lap and purred. Evidently this kitty (Smokey Joe) did not hold grudges.

Laura's Babies
05-09-2008, 01:16 PM
My RB Sambo, whenever I would scold him for anything, he would give me the "silent" treatment and sit with his back to me for days, completely ignoring me and my pleas to forgive me. He would purposely come in the room and sit facing away from me, NEVER making eye contact..

I finally figured out 2 could play that game and would ignore him when he got like that... In no time he would be BEGGING ME for attention... I laughed about it then and still chuckle to myself about it now.

MoonandBean
05-09-2008, 01:22 PM
So funny! I read the title of this thread outloud and without knowing what I was doing, my co-worker answered "they certainly do" :)

KitCat
05-09-2008, 01:24 PM
I had an aggressive cat years back and I told people not to play rough with him. Of course one of our friends was wrestling with him, but the cat played nicely. Few weeks later, he's sitting in a chair with his hand dangling over the side, so the cat jumps up and bites his hand. Our friend says what's up with that? I guess the cat remembered who likes to play rough!

GILL
05-09-2008, 01:49 PM
They sure doMy Patches would allow me to go out once a day, if I cae home from work and went out again, she would not come near me for 2-7 days. If I did anything that was not to her specs. look out. She would not play ball, not put me to sleep and certinaly not wake me up.
This is a cat that made sure that I went to sleep at the same time every night she wuld wake me every morning AFTER she was feed and had her insulin. If I was sick she would sit on my chest to keep me in bed. YES some do hold a grudge, but they are also the most loving and caring ones.

lizbud
05-09-2008, 05:05 PM
#2 Years after hubby and I met, he told me how he had neutered a cat with knife and no anesthesia. :eek::(:mad: Half an hour after doing so, the kitty came up to him, curled up in his lap and purred. Evidently this kitty (Smokey Joe) did not hold grudges.

This is pretty hard to believe, are you sure he wasn't kidding you?

kuhio98
05-09-2008, 06:57 PM
This is pretty hard to believe, are you sure he wasn't kidding you?I'm sure. Unfortunately, he really did this.

catmandu
05-09-2008, 07:18 PM
THAT SADLY RINGS TRUE AS MY GRANDFATHER USED A RAZOR AND A RUBBER BOOT TO NEUTER THE MALE KITTENS WHEN HE COULD CATCH THEM AT 6 WEEKS OLD, AFTER THAT THEY COULD NOT BE CAUGHT FOR LOVE NOR MONEY.
I GUESS IT WAS BETTER THAN DROWNING THEM WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN MICHAELS FATE IF MY BROTHER HAD NOT ADOPTED HIM.
I AM TRYING TO THNK OF A GRUUDGE, THE ONLY ONE THAT COMES TO MIND IS POUNCER ROCCALNO WHOS STILL OUT THERE, BUT IS STILL ANGRY I HAD HER SPAYED AND WILL DINE HERE BUT WANTS NOTHING MORE TO DO WITH ME.
I WILL HAVE TO FIND A PHOTO, I CANT REMEBER WHERE SHE IS ON PHOTOBUCKET.
I WISH SHE WOULD COME IN AND BE MY CAT.:love::love::love::love:

Medusa
05-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Nearly all of my cats hold grudges. When I come home from even a brief trip, say 3 days, they're all mad at me and won't even look at me. And, God forbid, if Creamsicle gets underfoot and I stumble and accidentally step on a paw, she won't come near me, sometimes for days.

Bengalz
05-09-2008, 07:52 PM
This is an interesting question ... I have read, on more than one occasion, that cats, typically, have very short memories. However, I have yet to believe that myself;) Every cat I've ever known seems to remember those things/events it chooses to remember;) and act accordingly;)

Fortunately I am blessed to have a very forgiving little girl who, at times, may not be too impressed with me:rolleyes: but forgives me for being simply hooman:rolleyes: Apparently though she was not so forgiving with her previous guardians so there must be some explanation to the choices a kitty makes when dealing with others:)

rosethecopycat
05-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Bella is my sensitive one.
Once I tried the kitty toothbrush (finger tip rubber) on her. She shunned me for 3 weeks. Bella is a cat that is physically attached to me at the chest, whenever possible.
I finally got her to come around by having only her in the laundry room, and putting her on my chest. It was heartbreaking. I thought she lost her most loving trait. After 3 weeks of retraining she came around.
Now, if I spend too much time with the fosters, she will become a little chilly with me, so I spend extra time cuddling with her.

Jessika
05-09-2008, 08:24 PM
I don't believe any animal holds grudges because they lack rational thought. Lots of people humanize their pet's actions when really they're just being animals.

All my cats have been acting crazy lately too, probably because of all of the recent seismic activity!

As far as grudges go, I believe cats learn but don't necessarily hold grudges. Same with dogs :)

DJFyrewolf36
05-10-2008, 01:40 AM
I think cats have a bit more cognitive ablilty than people credit for. Ive seen enough evidence to be fairly convinced (both with my own cats and other peoples cats) that they will react to cirtian things in cirtian ways and in a sense hold a "grudge" against the offending party. Even Remus, the most loving and personable cat I've met (maybe Im biased lol) will shun people who have treated him badly. Yeah its an avoidence response but it does take at least a little cognative ablity to form the association to begin with.

Boy Im long winded today lol :p

kitten645
05-10-2008, 02:06 AM
"I don't believe any animal holds grudges because they lack rational thought. Lots of people humanize their pet's actions when really they're just being animals."

I completely disagree with this. I think the line between what some think is "human" behaviour and "animal' behaviour is the same. Just a different perpective. I absolutely see my boys having "rational" thought. If they do this it will result in that so do they chose to do this or not? Calvin knows that if he eats Smudge's food, he'll be scolded. But he always does. Until he hears my footseps and knows he's been nauhty. Scampers and hides. Then tries to find forgivness by being cute. That's rational.
As far as grudges, I'd come home after a business trip WITH a sitter mind you , and find the cabinets and draws in the kithchen open and counter tops cleared of everything!:eek:dishes, knife racks, open fridge doors ..you name it. It was pretty clear they made their sentiments clear. NEVER happend when I was home.

Jessika
05-10-2008, 09:53 AM
I think there is a fine line between what some would consider "rational thought" and "learned behavior", though.

GILL
05-12-2008, 01:21 PM
I am convinced that they do hold grudges. My Patches would shun me for the same length of time that I was gone. I WAS ONLY ALLOWED OUT ONCE A DAY. If I did some thing that she did not like she would not play ball with me. Mits has taken a page from her book but he is more forgiving. He comes to get every night at 11:00 pm sharp unless I have scolded him or I have gone out for a second time in one day. He still will do his duty and make sure that I am tucked in bed, he will he wait for me too come to bed. There are several other things that one of more of our cats do. Like ET the other night decided that she would chase anyone that came near. Well I got her a couple of time with the swart bottle. About 2 hours later I was watching TV she walked in like she wanted a pet, as soON as she was in rangE of my leg, she let loose with full nails. Tell me she didn’t hold a grudge.