PDA

View Full Version : Birds

mel55smiles
08-26-2002, 07:34 PM
HI!! IM 13 AND I WILL PROB. BE GETTING A BIRD THIS CHRISTMAS.
WHAT DO YOU TIHNK IS PROB. THE BEST BIRD FOR ME.
THE ONLY BIRD IVE EVER HAD WAS A SWEET CROW..

blackcoffee
08-26-2002, 08:12 PM
if you are looking for a parrot, i suggest you start with a cocktiel as it is better with children. and you don't really have much experience with birds... :)

mel55smiles
08-26-2002, 08:19 PM
THANKS!!!

I HAVE FOSTERED WILD BIRDS,
LIKE CROWS, MOCKING BIRDS

blackcoffee
08-26-2002, 10:39 PM
that's very good that you have already got some experiences with birds. are you looking for a parrot or other kind of birds? i know a lot of people have parrots and some have finches. what are your choices? if you don't mind loud birds, you can go for a cockatoo. but be very careful as they are very attached to human and can be really loud. let us know what you decide.:)

lovemymaltese
08-27-2002, 02:37 PM
a cockiteil. I had one and loved her. I had to give her to a breeder when she began laying eggs and became irritable about the age of 8 or so. I would suggest trying to get a male one if at all possible. They are more attractive, usually smarter (talkers) and no problem with egg laying.

mel55smiles
08-27-2002, 06:45 PM
HMMMMM.....

WELL I WAS HOPING TO FIND A BIRD COSTING NO MORE THAN 100 BUCKS, SINCE I WILL HAVE TO BUY FEED, AND TOYS.

Logan
08-27-2002, 09:48 PM
We have two Cockatiels, one male and one female. They are wonderful. The first one, Roger, was a little less than $100, but by the time I bought his cage, food, toys, etc, I think my bill was $250. Cages are not cheap!!! Milly, was an orphan, and she came with all her accessories and herself for $150. My problem is that I just want to keep on getting things for them!! And that adds up!!

Good luck with whatever type of bird you choose. I would definitely get a young one that you can tame and hold. Half the joy of having them is getting to hold them, I think. I can't say enough about how wonderful our Cockatiels are!!

Logan :)

popcornbird
08-27-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by blackcoffee
that's very good that you have already got some experiences with birds. are you looking for a parrot or other kind of birds? i know a lot of people have parrots and some have finches. what are your choices? if you don't mind loud birds, you can go for a cockatoo. but be very careful as they are very attached to human and can be really loud. let us know what you decide.:)

Cockatoos are wonderful birds but they can be very pricey (well into the thousands!!

mel55smiles
08-30-2002, 04:29 PM
WE HAVE A CAGE, SO THATS NOT A PROBLEM.
THANK YOU LOGAN AND POPCORNBIRD, I WILL PROBALLY GET A COCKATIEL, OR A RESCUED BIRD. WHEN I VISISTED THE HOUSTON SPCA FOR VACATION, I FELL IN LOVE WITH A BEAUTIFUL COCKATOO, BUT THEY WERE GOING TO HAVE A TRIAL TO SEE IF THE GUY THAT ABUSED THEM WERE GONNA GET HIS BIRD BACK. AND WE HAD TO LEAVE BEFORE THE TRIAL SO I WAS PRETTY UPSET.