PDA

View Full Version : Some People

NicoleLJ
05-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Some People really irk me. Hubby and I went to a movie at the Movie Mill tonight. We will waiting till the movie has been their a while so the theatre is fairly empty. We went to see 10 000 BC. It was good but not great. Sheena was awesome as usual. She has been going to the movie for 4 years now so is very well know at all the theatres. Anyway after the movie I went to the ladies room while hubby went outside for a smoke. Went I went in I noticed the stall for the wheel chair access was occupied so I squeezed Sheena into one of the smaller stalls. Which was fine. She is smaller and can easily fit. When I came out I went and washed my hands. Sheena went to her usual spot which is in front of me under the counter. Then the lady in the Wheel Chair stall came out. She was a very nice looking lady, dress in a very expensive business suit. I was about to be polite and say hello when I noticed her look under the counter and get a shocked look on her face then she glared at me and said "You should not bring dirty nasty dogs into businesses. They do not belong here." Then she walked out. I was speechless. I finished drying my hands realizing that she didn't even bother to wash hers. And proceeded to walk out of the bathroom. While I was walking to the main doors a nice older couple was following me and whispering. I get outside and hubby looks angry. I tell him what happened and he said he knew already. Said she came out side complaining loudly about a dog in the bathroom and how dogs do not belong in businesses. Hubby said he told her she is a Service dog and she would have realized that if she took the time to read the vest. And she belongs to my wife." He said she huffed and went to her car. Then the couple walked up to us and let us know that she complained to them to and also complained. They also told her that she was a Service dog and a beautiful one at that and very well behaved and that they had seen me many times over the years and she was always well-behaved. That put a smile on my face to know that strangers came to my defence. They told me to just ignore her. That some people are just ignorant. The part that bothers me is she waited in her car till we got in ours then she followed us for a ways. Why, I have no idea but she was talking on her cell phone. I just don't understand some people. If Sheena had been doing something wrong then I could see an issue. But sitting under a sink as I wash my hands? What is the problem with that?

Nicole

BC_MoM
05-08-2008, 11:44 PM
I would have called the police if she was following you.

NicoleLJ
05-08-2008, 11:49 PM
If I had a cell phone I most likely would have. But we don't.
Nicole

dukedogsmom
05-08-2008, 11:53 PM
She must really be a miserable human being. Just goes to show that nice clothes don't make someone classy. What a rude *****! I would be honored to see you and Sheena.

gini
05-08-2008, 11:57 PM
This must have hurt your feelings and for that I am very sorry. But some people are very self-centered and ignorant and you happened to come upon one.

I guess I would say that I feel sorry for this woman - she needs her head adjusted!!

NicoleLJ
05-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks. It hurt alot after I got over the shock. But them when the older couple came up and talked to us I felt so much better. The wife kept saying that each time she saw me and Sheena she want to pet her. But if I let her know then she would always want to so she wouldn't let herself when I said she could.
Nicole

jackie
05-09-2008, 03:00 AM
Don't lose any sleep over it, some miserable people just live their lives trying to make everyone else miserable too.

chocolatepuppy
05-09-2008, 05:03 AM
Yep, she sounds like a miserable woman, forget her Nicole, you and Sheena did nothing wrong.;)

Pawsitive Thinking
05-09-2008, 05:25 AM
What a miserable old bag! Don't let her get to you

Why was she in the wheel chair stall in the first place? you said she walked out.......

Ginger's Mom
05-09-2008, 06:02 AM
Why was she in the wheel chair stall in the first place? you said she walked out.......

Hee, it took me a moment to figure that out also. Nicole never said she was in a wheel chair. She simply said the lady was using the handicapped stall, not that she was actually handicapped.

Randi
05-09-2008, 07:05 AM
What a nasty woman! I'm glad someone supported you. :) The woman had no right to be in the handicapped toilet anyway, and you could have told her that - but I certainly understand why you were speechless and hurt. :eek:

Medusa
05-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Apparently, the woman lives in her own little world w/blinders on. If that were not the case, she would've noticed that Sheena is a service dog, that she was a person w/no handicap in the handicap stall and she also would have noticed signs posted about washing her hands, not that she should have to be reminded to be clean. She made the snide remark about a "dirty nasty dog" and she didn't even wash her hands! I doubt that she was following you; she probably was just going in the same direction as you and it may have appeared that way. Whatever the case, the incident was but a blip on the radar screen. And it made you see how good people can be, too, because more came to your and Sheena's defense. Flick her off your shoulder like the irritating little gnat that she is. FLICK! :p

Freedom
05-09-2008, 07:49 AM
There is a saying (I haven't got the words right) that you haven't opened your heart unless you have loved an animal. Applies here.

BTW, non handicapped persons are permitted to use handicap stalls. If there is a line, an handicap person comes to the front and gets next chance at that stall.

NicoleLJ
05-09-2008, 08:59 AM
The place was empty except for her and I but I really have no problem with her using that stall because she could have a hidden disability and needed to check her blood or take meds or something. Since Sheena fits in the smallers stalls it is not a problem. My problem was what happened afterward.
Nicole

Cataholic
05-09-2008, 09:01 AM
BTW, non handicapped persons are permitted to use handicap stalls. If there is a line, an handicap person comes to the front and gets next chance at that stall.

I used to work with a woman that wouldn't use the handicap stall. I never understood that. I usually go into the handicap stall, if it is available, when I have Jonah with me.

Laura's Babies
05-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Her attitude would change REAL fast if someone in her own family needed a service dog! She just better hope.......

We all agree, she is a jerk and not worth your thought or worry.

moosmom
05-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm with Val, she must be a miserable SOB to complain about a very well-haved SERVICE dog. Her day will come. Don't lose sleep over it. She was probably pissed that she paid full price for a movie that stunk. I would've made a remark about her using a HANDICAPPED stall when in fact, she was not handicapped. People these days really tick me off. She should've minded her own business.

Ginger's Mom
05-09-2008, 11:42 AM

Not arguing the point, just wanted to mention that we had a lady in a wheel chair that would come into our office every Tuesday, and work there most of the day. She apparently complained that when she goes into the ladies room many times the handicapped stall was already occupied by someone not needing that stall. We were all sent an e-mail telling us that on Tuesday's we were not to use the handicapped stall at all. Her term is over with now, but I always thought as Sandy has said, if a handicapped person enters a room they move up to the front of the line to the next person to use that stall since they obviously cannot wait for any others. I just thought that was a bit much.

shepgirl
05-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I can't agree about this whole handicapped thing and the stall. This woman could have been a lot more handicapped physically than she appeared to be and really did need this stall, so I wish people would think before speaking this way. Go through a list of disabilities and you might realize why she was in a handicapped stall. As for calling the dog a nasty dirty dog, this person might be phobic about dogs and was even too scared to wash her hands. Most of us carry those hand sanitizers in our purses anyway, you don't know that she didn't use one of those.
This person also paid for her ticket to the movies, so she has a right to complain if she wants to, whether she saw the vest or not. No one knows why or what was said if she complained. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and jump on the bandwagon before knowing if maybe she had a worse disability and chose not to use a dog.
On a side note, Sheena isn't a registered SD if I read right, maybe the woman was aware of this. So far only guide dogs have access.

NicoleLJ
05-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Sheena had the right of access because she had permission to be there. She and i have had permission to be there for 4 years. And Guide Dogs will soon not be the only dog with access rights. Come 2009 things will be changing here in Alberta. And I am helping in changing that.
Nicole

caseysmom
05-09-2008, 07:34 PM
I am so sorry Nicole, people that don't love animals tend to be miserable people, don't you think?

shepgirl
05-09-2008, 07:40 PM
I was only saying that people shouldn't judge another's actions just by reading something on the internet. Maybe if that woman told her side of the story it would help us better understand that she was probably just or more disabled than some think.
I wouldn't be ranting about someone not liking my dog, not everyone can like dogs. And my life is too busy to make much ado over petty stuff like this.
2009 isn't here yet so no one knows what the outcome of the bill will be, not even Peter himself.

shais_mom
05-09-2008, 07:45 PM
I've used the handicap stall as well as long as there are no handicap ladies in line to use it. It isn't like the parking spots.
I am just assuming NASTY WOMAN had to use the handicap stall b/c she was definately mentally - and socially - handicapped. And her head probably wouldn't fit into a regular stall....

**darn** NOW where did that halo roll too?? ;)

NicoleLJ
05-09-2008, 07:46 PM
No they don't but he and many others are working hard to try and make sure the laws will be fair and will work for the Owner trainers and the Facility Service Dog Handlers alike.

And just for your information if you read on the first page I did state that I had no problem with her using the handicaped stall. She could have been checking her blood or taking meds or such. My problem was her behaviour towards me and Sheena when we had done nothing to her. So for me it had nothing to do with her being in the stall.
Nicole

caseysmom
05-09-2008, 08:09 PM
No they don't but he and many others are working hard to try and make sure the laws will be fair and will work for the Owner trainers and the Facility Service Dog Handlers alike.

And just for your information if you read on the first page I did state that I had no problem with her using the handicaped stall. She could have been checking her blood or taking meds or such. My problem was her behaviour towards me and Sheena when we had done nothing to her. So for me it had nothing to do with her being in the stall.
Nicole

This reminds me of a while back when someone gave you a bad time about your dogs credentials on this site and they got banned...hmmmmm

NicoleLJ
05-09-2008, 08:23 PM
This reminds me of a while back when someone gave you a bad time about your dogs credentials on this site and they got banned...hmmmmm

I remember that quite well too. But I am not worried about Sheena's credentials. I have talked to the MLA's reps. I know my rights when it comes to her. She is not protected under the law but she is also not illegal either. As long as I have the businesses permision to enter the place then Sheena is allowed there. And as long as I have a doctors note to prove I need her then there is no law being broken.
Nicole

Medusa
05-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Goodness, it's a shame that you have to experience this in regards to your dog. But you're right, the stall controversy is secondary. I think people commented on it only because you mentioned that she walked out of it and they were giving you their support. At least that's my position. As for Sheena's credentials, I'm sure you know what's required and you comply. No one should be able to say anything about that. :)

Jessika
05-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Guys, obviously the lady had a HUGE handicap if she thought Sheena was a "nasty dog"! So she obviously had every right to be using the handicap stall and leave without washing her hands ;)

Husky_mom
05-09-2008, 09:18 PM
I donīt have any problems having a dog inside a bussiness... service dog or not...

I love having them there, unless they are jumping off the walls and tearing the place down... but then again I donīt blame the dog itīs the OWNER!!...

just like with kids... they drive me crazy when parents canīt control them....

Sheena would be so welcomed...and I think all service dogs should as long as they have persmission from establishment and a certificate about being UDT...and thinks thatīs plenty of guarantee if need be...

shepgirl
05-09-2008, 10:15 PM
I am just assuming she had to use the handicap stall b/c she was definately mentally - and socially - handicapped. And her head probably wouldn't fit into a regular stall....

**darn** NOW where did that halo roll too?? ;)

shais_mom -- I would never have thought you could make such a remark about the mentally ill when you know Nicole has stated that she has metal and social handicaps. That was very rude of you. Why would anyone laugh at handicapped people on a forum, how do you know there aren't other members here in the same position?

shais_mom
05-09-2008, 10:51 PM
shais_mom -- I would never have thought you could make such a remark about the mentally ill when you know Nicole has stated that she has metal and social handicaps. That was very rude of you. Why would anyone laugh at handicapped people on a forum, how do you know there aren't other members here in the same position?

you are quite right I wouldn't say that I wasn't talking about NICOLE I was talking about the nasty woman that said that to her but thanks for thinking the worst of me
its pretty funny you are accusing me of this when I've thought several of your posts recently have been on the rude side.
must be YOU'RE conscious

jennielynn1970
05-09-2008, 11:13 PM
gosh... I have depression (which could be a handicap), and Staci and I get along quite well, lol. I mean, I know she's not the devil incarnate (that's someone else we know...:p;) )

I think you guys took it out of context, or are being a little too defensive here.

The woman who was in the stall was in the wrong, but was a coward enough to just walk away and not allow a response. She's not worth your time getting upset about. She was just an unhappy person looking to spread her unhappiness.

NicoleLJ
05-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Hold on here. I have nothing to do with what Shepgirl said. What she said to shais_mom is totally uncalled for. And if I in some way without knowing insulted shais_mom I apologize. When I posted about the stall to shepgirl it was because of what she wrote. No other reason. I am sorry you were made to feel badly. And I am sorry for that.

I find it interest that Shepgirl is defending the lady that was so rude to me when I and Sheena clearly did nothing wrong. That to me makes no sense.
Nicole

shais_mom
05-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Hold on here. I have nothing to do with what Shepgirl said. What she said to shais_mom is totally uncalled for. And if I in some way without knowing insulted shais_mom I apologize. When I posted about the stall to shepgirl it was because of what she wrote. No other reason. I am sorry you were made to feel badly. And I am sorry for that.

I find it interest that Shepgirl is defending the lady that was so rude to me when I and Sheena clearly did nothing wrong. That to me makes no sense.
Nicole

I'm editing my post and pm'ing you...

Jessika
05-10-2008, 09:56 AM

I took her post as referring to the business woman and not Nicole...

shais_mom
05-10-2008, 10:53 AM

and you were correct - thanks Jessika :)

Medusa
05-10-2008, 11:19 AM

Ditto. :)

shais_mom
05-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Ditto. :)

thank you! :) I DID edit my post so there isn't any question now tho

Jessika
05-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Yes, its blaringly obvious now hehe but even originally, why would a long-time member here be so outwardly rude to another member, when neither one are known for that type of behavior toward anyone else the whole time they've been here?

shepgirl
05-10-2008, 12:51 PM
I guess I owe you an apology shaismom. The way you mentioned the disabilities made me think that you were singling Nicole out. Sorry for misunderstanding the post.

Nicole, nobody is defending anyone. I just need both sides of a story before slinging mud...it ends up back in our face when we least expect it.

If someone is interested in knowing why I thought the lady was in a handicapped stall with a right to be there you can pm me...I won't put this reason on a forum.

shais_mom
05-10-2008, 02:32 PM
I guess I owe you an apology shaismom. The way you mentioned the disabilities made me think that you were singling Nicole out. Sorry for misunderstanding the post.

Nicole, nobody is defending anyone. I just need both sides of a story before slinging mud...it ends up back in our face when we least expect it.

If someone is interested in knowing why I thought the lady was in a handicapped stall with a right to be there you can pm me...I won't put this reason on a forum.

apology accepted.
I for one wasn't questioning the reasoning of the lady in the stall - when ya gotta go - ya gotta go - I would feel bad myself if I were in a handicapped stall and a handicapped person had to use a regular sized stall b/c I was in there. Sometimes I don't use them anyway b/c the toilet seats are too high for my short legs!

Cataholic
05-13-2008, 08:40 AM

The lady had a 'right' to be in the handicapped ASSESSIBLE stall the same reason ANY one does...it is not a handicap ONLY stall- a term of exclusion, but, a handicap ASSESSIBLE stall, a term of inclusion. It means that it can accomodate someone that *might* need extra room. No one else is precluded from using it. Not even Nicole's doggie :)

Pawsitive Thinking
05-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Handicapped or not she didn't have to be so unpleasant - there is enough nastiness in the world already

Medusa
05-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Handicapped or not she didn't have to be so unpleasant - there is enough nastiness in the world already

Amen, sister!

NicoleLJ
05-13-2008, 10:11 AM
It wasn't the stall issue that bothered me. To me there was no issue there. I just saw someone was using it so went and used the smaller one. Same thing when I went to the focus group yesterday except instead of someone being in the stall the door was not on the stall. It was in need of repair. So agian Sheena and I used the smaller stall. Who cares. No big deal. She is trained for that. And so will Ajax. Lots of times the changing table is in that stall so it is not just for the handicaped either. I just see it as busy and use a different stall.

My problem was the fact that she came out, yelled at me, insulted my dog who was doing just as she was trained to do, and then didn't give me any chance to explain. That was the problem I had. I just wanted a chance to explain and i don't think I have a right to be yelled at like that. Thats all.
Nicole

Medusa
05-13-2008, 10:14 AM
My problem was the fact that she came out, yelled at me, insulted my dog who was doing just as she was trained to do, and then didn't give me any chance to explain. That was the problem I had. I just wanted a chance to explain and i don't think I have a right to be yelled at like that. Thats all.
Nicole

Everyone has a right to be treated w/respect and should not be yelled at ever with or without your dog. You were right to be insulted for both Sheena and yourself.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Everyone has a right to be treated w/respect and should not be yelled at ever with or without your dog. You were right to be insulted for both Sheena and yourself.

Absolutely!

shais_mom
05-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Nicole

no 'thinking' about it - no one has the right to yell at you or anyone like the Nasty Woman did. Period.

MoonandBean
05-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Flick her off your shoulder like the irritating little gnat that she is. FLICK! :p

I love that...flick! I was thinking about something someone told me once when a very angry person tried to start a war with me...She said "don't wrestle in the mud with a pig because you'll both get dirty but the pig enjoys it". If I had engaged, it would have caused ME a lot of stress because I don't live my life that way. SHE would have loved the battle. This person you encountered obviously lives her life this way and this 1 out of 1000 mean interactions meant nothing to her (she enjoyed it) but it could ruin your day if you let it...don't let it :)