PDA

View Full Version : An interesting question...

Sevaede
05-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Would you say it's justifiable to go through a breeder rather than rescue if you're in search of one rare breed in particular?

We've been interested in Lundehunds for several years. We weren't able to find ANY through Petfinder until recently. Our latest search yielded one male Lundehund... in Alabama. :eek: That wouldn't be entirely impossible but I've not heard of too many rescues allowing an adoption so far (how would they perform a home check?).

I would really like to be able to rescue one but that doesn't seem likely. :(

Freedom
05-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Check if there is a breed rescue group.

If not, being it is a rare breed, why not go to a RESPONSIBLE breeder?

Actually, I don't think many people on here are against adoptions from RESPONSIBLE breeders.

To find the breed rescue, check here:

http://www.lundehund.com/

Not all rescues limit their adoption area. I adopted Sugar from Small Paws Rescue; she flew in from Ohio to RI. SPR adopts nation wide. So if the dog in Alabama is otherwise of interest to you, and it is only location which is stopping you, ASK!

Sevaede
05-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Check if there is a breed rescue group.

If not, being it is a rare breed, why not go to a RESPONSIBLE breeder?

Actually, I don't think many people on here are against adoptions from RESPONSIBLE breeders.

To find the breed rescue, check here:

http://www.lundehund.com/

Not all rescues limit their adoption area. I adopted Sugar from Small Paws Rescue; she flew in from Ohio to RI. SPR adopts nation wide. So if the dog in Alabama is otherwise of interest to you, and it is only location which is stopping you, ASK!

I already have the NLCA link bookmarked. And I am well versed in *RESPONSIBLE* breeding/breeders, I think going to one is a given. :D

To my knowledge, there are no breed specific rescues for Lundehunds. They are still relatively new (the first having come over in the 80's) here.

I am aware that not ALL rescues limit their adoption areas, that's just been some of my experience with rescues (for the reason of not being able to easily check up on dogs). That was just something I was worried about. Am I too far? Will they accept me to adopt him? etc. :)

I am not sure how to contact this rescue. I cannot find an email address. I suppose I could snail mail them! :D Here is his link: http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10061076. He looks like he's probably mixed with Shepherd. This is Norwegian Champion Maahornets Annar http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/unbakedbrownie/ChamMaahornetAnnar.jpg

binka_nugget
05-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Would you say it's justifiable to go through a breeder rather than rescue if you're in search of one rare breed in particular?

Others might disagree with me but I honestly think no one should feel bad for choosing a reputable breeder over rescue. It's absolutely fantastic if someone chooses rescue, of course, but breeder vs rescue is a personal decision and as long as you're choosing a reputable breeder and not a byb, there shouldn't be any guilt involved! :)

Flatcoatluver
05-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Others might disagree with me but I honestly think no one should feel bad for choosing a reputable breeder over rescue. It's absolutely fantastic if someone chooses rescue, of course, but breeder vs rescue is a personal decision and as long as you're choosing a reputable breeder and not a byb, there shouldn't be any guilt involved! :)

I completly agree with you, but this dog in the shelter is sooo adorable! God Luck, and please keep up updated.

Freedom
05-08-2008, 09:49 AM
I am not sure how to contact this rescue. I cannot find an email address. I suppose I could snail mail them! :D Here is his link: http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10061076.

They give their phone number. It would be a long distance phone call, but heck, if you like the dog, why not go for it!

MoonandBean
05-08-2008, 09:57 AM
My Sunny came all the way from Alabama to PA. Maybe the shelter would be able to arrange a transport. If I were along the route, I'd help :)

cloverfdx
05-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Dont feel at all guilty about going through a responsible breeder for your dream dog, there is nothing at all wrong with that.

My next dog will be from a breeder (there is only 1 breeder in Aus at the moment). But i have had my heart set on a Dandie Dinmont Terrier for years now, and want to make my dream come true.. so responsible breeder it will have to be :).

SemaviLady
05-10-2008, 08:19 AM
This is Norwegian Champion Maahornets Annar http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/unbakedbrownie/ChamMaahornetAnnar.jpg
What a very handsome dog and such an intriguing breed.

I agree that the dog in that rescue pic looks to be a 'whodunnit'. Unfortunately, the photo is a "toupee shot" (top of the dog's head), so no breed characteristics are discernable. Furthermore, most of the puffin dogs I have seen (and the standard specifies this white) - the dogs usually have a sort of irish pattern (white front and flashiness - a type of pinto) and the dog in the rescue pic looks to be solid in color so is not likely to have much of a genetic likelihood to be even part Lundehund.

Good luck with your search. You might eventually have to import. :)
If you do, you will be up to your neck fighting mandatory spay and neuter (MSN) laws. The Lundehund has undergone several genetic bottlenecks and has some locked in genetic problems. MSN enables people with no realistic understanding of genetics to destroy the breed.

MSN is already undermining grassroots programs in wildlife conservation (rangeland and acreage residing wolves, puma, coyotes, bobcat and other animals) and decimating several breed genetics diversity and preservation efforts. Most MSN proponents are simply 'animal lovers' and not trained in these topics, they are often uneducated about these issues or they simply do not care to be educated.

So it is a good thing for people to speak for responsible breeding. Good thread. :)