PDA

View Full Version : How do I cook pork chops?

RICHARD
05-07-2008, 04:41 PM
I can cook them fine, but am looking for a method of getting the fat crispy and the outside brown.....Help?

joycenalex
05-07-2008, 04:44 PM
grilled, after marinading them (cut slits in the meat) in soy sauce/honey for an hour.

lizbud
05-07-2008, 04:45 PM
I bake them. Coat them with a spicy mix of crumbs & pop them into
425 degree oven for 1/2 hr. Roughly 15 to 20 minutes per side. I love mine
done crispy too.

lvpets2002
05-07-2008, 04:52 PM
:) Oh for sure Grill or Bake..

RICHARD
05-07-2008, 05:19 PM
LOL,

Um, can I be a man and ask stupid questions?
Do I do anything to get the crumbs to stick?
Do I eyeball the soy/honey marinade?

Thanks!

sirrahbed
05-07-2008, 05:24 PM
heat a skillet with a dab of butter and a dab of olive oil. Medium high heat will do so the olive oil doesn't smoke. salt and pepper the chops. fry quickly on each side until crispy and brown. I like these best cooked only about 2-3 minutes each side with chops that are about an inch thick. don't overcook them or they will be dry - the BEST!!

a dab is about a tablespoon;)

Karen
05-07-2008, 05:24 PM
The crumbs will stick to the moistness of the meat! Do grease the pan you bake them in, though, so the crumbs don't glue themselves to the pan.

More soy than honey ... I'm sure if you Google it, you can find a recipe that'd give you approximate proportions.

sirrahbed
05-07-2008, 05:30 PM
or....try them http://annesfood.blogspot.com/2005/11/crispy-pork-chops.html Nigella's way;)

RedHedd
05-07-2008, 05:47 PM
I do what Sirrabed does - pan fry in olive oil. Season to taste (I like a sprinkling of garlic salt and freshly ground pepper). Eat. (yum!) share with kitty if they beg - Mitzi :love:'s pork! :cool:

joycenalex
05-07-2008, 06:11 PM
karen was right googling soy-honey glaze found me this...from bobby flay Serves 4 (FWIW, i do generally eyeball my amounts)
Ingredients
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
pinch of hot red pepper flakes
freshly ground black pepper
8 (4- to 6-ounce) center-cut boneless pork chops, cut 1/2 inch thick
Canola oil
Salt
2 large Vidalia onions, sliced 1/2 inch thick
Procedure
1. Combine the honey, soy and pepper flakes in a small bowl and season to taste with pepper.
2. Heat your grill to high.
3. Brush the chops on both sides with oil and season with salt and
pepper. Set aside a few tablespoons of glaze for brushing the cooked chops.
4. Grill the pork chops until lightly crusty, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the
chops over, reduce the heat to medium or move to a cooler part of the grill, and grill, brushing often with glaze, until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the chops to a platter and brush with the reserved glaze.
5. Brush the onion slices with oil and season with salt and pepper.
Grill the slices until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve the chops with the onions on the side.
and now i think i'll do this on sunday...;)

lizbud
05-07-2008, 06:28 PM
LOL,

Thanks!

I run water over each chop & then use the "shake & Bake" mix to coat
them. (stuff just sticks to the meat). There is no sticking to the pan at
all, so I wouldn't grease the pan. I do turn the chop after 20 mins &
put them back for another 20 mins. No problems.

dukedogsmom
05-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I wouldn't be able to tell you. Last time I tried to cook them was in the oven and they were hard as bricks!

Jessika
05-07-2008, 07:31 PM
LOL,

Thanks!

I may be incorrect, but I believe my mother always dipped them in some beat egg before dipping them in the crumbs. Delicious!

Lori Jordan
05-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Easiest way i do it,Smother them with BBQ Sauce and throw them on the barbeque...If you dont have one just fry them in a frying pan.

shepgirl
05-07-2008, 08:21 PM
I BBQ or fry them. Baked are also great with mushroom sauce and garlic.

CountryWolf07
05-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I may be incorrect, but I believe my mother always dipped them in some beat egg before dipping them in the crumbs. Delicious!

My mom does the same thing. :)

RICHARD
06-03-2008, 09:04 PM
I made some in the oven- I will try to get thru all the methods over the summer!

I did a BBQ sauce marinade, heated up a pan in the oven and tossed them in, Covered with foil and let them rip.

They were pretty good, I am looking into the breaded chops soon!

Thanks again!

pitc9
06-04-2008, 03:56 PM
I like coating the chops in sour cream or dipping them in melted butter first, then flopping them around in crushed up corn flakes with garlic powder.

Yummmm.... I think I'll have pork chops for dinner tonight!
:D

Medusa
06-04-2008, 06:43 PM
heat a skillet with a dab of butter and a dab of olive oil. Medium high heat will do so the olive oil doesn't smoke. salt and pepper the chops. fry quickly on each side until crispy and brown. I like these best cooked only about 2-3 minutes each side with chops that are about an inch thick. don't overcook them or they will be dry - the BEST!!

a dab is about a tablespoon;)

This is exactly how I cook them and they come out perfect every time.

moosmom
06-05-2008, 07:59 AM
I marinate mine in a combo of orange juice and gingerale all day. Then I dip them in bread crumbs and cook for 45 minutes at 375 degrees. The orange juice keeps them moise and juicy.

Randi
06-05-2008, 09:04 AM
In Denmark, most people do them like Jessica said.... beat an egg, dip the pork chops in there and then dip them in fine bread crumbs. Put margarine or butter on a pan and fry them for 3-4 min. on each side, medium heat. Don't turn them more than once!

RICHARD
06-24-2008, 09:02 AM
I rocked the house with PCs last night, fried with sides of steamed veggies and chicken flavored rice. The butter/oil recipes work well!

The "Katz" went nuts over them. He put his paws up on my knee to get some.

Am still looking forward to the 'baked' recipes. It's been too dang hot to fire up the oven!!!!

mruffruff
06-24-2008, 11:47 AM
My favorite (read that as easiest) way---

Spray a baking container lightly with oil. Place chops of any kind in a single layer in the container. Spread with one of the following:

Mayonaise
Bottled Alfredo sauce
Ranch or any other type of thick salad dressing
canned cream soup

Sprinkle with garlic powder (carefully) and paprika.

Bake at 400 for 25 minutes.

Delicious!

RICHARD
07-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I forgot to get charcoal for my BBQ chops today.

I did the oil and butter way to cook them, took the chops out and added water, Wondra, mushrooms and some S+P to the pan to make a gravy-

Those suckers ROCKED!

I want cold weather soon!!!!!

I figure that I can eat chops for the rest of the year and not do them the same way twice!!

mugsy
07-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Ok, so mine isn't pork chops, but, it's pork...

Get a pork loin and mariniate (and then bake it with the marinade) with olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, and garlic. I usually marinate for a few hours in the pan where I'm baking it and then turn the oven on at about 300 and cook it for about 2 hours (this is a whole loin too). I baste it about every 1/2 hour.

I have friends over for dinner and Steve won't let me make anything else because he loves it so much! His wife just laughs at him when he takes a bite! Usually it is so tender it melts in your mouth.

I would think with some minor modifications, it would work for chops too.;)

RICHARD
07-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Ok, so mine isn't pork chops, but, it's pork...

I would think with some minor modifications, it would work for chops too.;)

LOL, we can start the Pork Channel now!:D

joycenalex
07-06-2008, 02:51 PM
richard, if you saute 1-2 sliced celery ribs and 1/2 c of cut up onions, you'll have my moms' recipe for smothered pork chops

RICHARD
07-08-2008, 12:33 AM
richard, if you saute 1-2 sliced celery ribs and 1/2 c of cut up onions, you'll have my moms' recipe for smothered pork chops

LOL, stupid man question again.

Do you take the chops out, sautee the veggies and serve them 'separately'?

LOL, I need more instructions! Thanks!

Medusa
07-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Again, it isn't pork chops but it's pork. Ever tried Bobby Flay's recipe for pulled pork? It's fabulous! I'll have to look it up because I haven't made it in a while but it's really good!

joycenalex
07-08-2008, 06:37 PM
sorry richard, i wasn't very complete in answering that one. after the pork chops are cooked, place them on a plate at the back of stove top, hold the chops there so they stay warm. saute the onions and celery till tender crispy, mom browns the flour, on low heat, then if the pan drippings are too "thick", she'll add, slowly, so lumps won't form, a little bit of chicken broth (more about that in a minute) ...you can use chicken bullion, but it's too salty for me. when the flour/drippings mix bubbles, stir the pan bringing up any crusty bits from the pan bottom, then put the onion/celery mix in, stir till veggies are coated, place it on top of the chops, and enjoy. i have done a version of this with boneless chicken breasts, and added a large pinch, about 1/2 teaspoon, of poultry seasoning to the gravy as it browns. for the chicken broth...mom taught me to freeze homemade chicken broth in ice cube trays dedicated for this then when frozen, take them out of the trays, put them in a ziplock bag and keep them in the freezer for things like this, where you need a little bit of liquid for a gravy, you nuke 1-2 cubes just till melted, you can use canned chicken broth too.

RICHARD
07-08-2008, 07:40 PM
sorry richard, i wasn't very complete in answering that one. after the pork chops are cooked, place them on a plate at the back of stove top, hold the chops there so they stay warm. saute the onions and celery till tender crispy, mom browns the flour, on low heat, then if the pan drippings are too "thick", she'll add, slowly, so lumps won't form, a little bit of chicken broth (more about that in a minute) ...you can use chicken bullion, but it's too salty for me. when the flour/drippings mix bubbles, stir the pan bringing up any crusty bits from the pan bottom, then put the onion/celery mix in, stir till veggies are coated, place it on top of the chops, and enjoy.

I can do that! Thanks for the info and recipe!:)

RICHARD
08-28-2008, 09:56 PM
I was tired and wasn't in the mood to really cook so I tossed some PCs on the barbie today....I gave the a BBQ sauce basting....

They were delicious.....I still have some recipes to go!

mugsy
08-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Here's one from Mike:

marinate the chops in:

Blackberry Merlot/Peppercorn dressing/marinade 1/2 bottle
Kikkoman Teriyaki 1/4 bottle
Lea and Perrins Worchestershire a dash
rinsed the bottle of merlot peppercorn with blush wine
sea salt 3 teaspoon

cook them on the grill...he marinated them for about 4 hours

seasoning for grill:
garlic pepper
garlic powder and grilled on medium heat...OMG were they GOOD!

jennielynn1970
08-28-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm not a big pork fan, but my favorite way to eat them is the way my mom makes them.

Take the pork chops, bone in or boneless, and put them in a baking pan.
Put some ketchup on top, about 2 tablespoons each, then about 1 1/2 tsp. of brown sugar. Slice an onion, and lay rings on the top.

Stick in the oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes (if thick boneless chops, bake 45-50 minutes).

I love them this way!

The one teacher I work with has the most fantastic recipe for pulled pork. I will post that tomorrow when I have time. It takes a longer time to make, but is soooooooo worth it!