PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting a cat to a dog

bradbull3
05-07-2008, 03:30 PM
I had this cat for 9 years I have had him since he was 4 months old. Monday evening me and my wife moved a chihhua in and my cat has been hissing and growling at the dog. the dog is sweet and has been around cats before. But my cat has never been around a dog. the cat has smacked the dog and he is still hissing and growling at him. How do I get the cat to accept the dog as part of the family? keep in mind this is a very jealous cat.

Suki Wingy
05-07-2008, 08:04 PM
I recently brought a new cat home and had a rough time getting he and the dog to behave around each other. I'd say start by praising and petting the cat while bringing the dog into view so that he gets used to the dog being there and associates it with attention.

Freedom
05-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Safety first.

Clip the cat's nails, especially the front paws. You don't want to have a scratched cornea to cope with on the new dog. That is painful for the dog, and it will of course happen at night requiring a trip to the ER vet. :rolleyes:

Next, be sure the cat has a place to go where the dog can not go. Put up a barrier (I use baby gates and those folding laundry hangers). If possible, the cat's litter box, water and food bowls should be in this haven, where the dog can't get to the cat when the cat is 'vulnerable.' So the cat can always go to the bathroom without being nervous of the dog. You don't want the cat to start 'going' all over the house, because it has to go when the dog is out of the way. By giving a haven, the cat can get away on her own anytime.

Keep the water squirt bottle handy, and interfere if the cat is physical.

Hissing and growling is not a problem. The dog SHOULD understand that this means back off, keep away. If the dog insists on approaching, maybe squirt the DOG.

It takes time for cats to adjust to change. Anywhere from 4 days to 3 weeks.

At this point, all 4 of my dogs are terrified of the cats. They know the cats pack a punch in those front paws, since each dog has been bopped on the nose a time or two. And the dogs know to give a wide berth to Vita (my Queen) but just look away as they pass Sparkle (my social butterfly).

In other words, once you have controlled the level of the tension, just let them work it out between them.

Also, keep your expectations at the right level. You CAN expect them to live in peace. You can NOT dictate that they be best buddies. That they must choose for themselves.

Good luck! You should be through the worst of it already.

Oh, and WELCOME to Pet Talk!