PDA

View Full Version : Two lovely dog stories from my neck of the woods.

ChrisH
05-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Story One

Penny a labrador-cross from St Asaph rescued a lady in distress from a river when her owner asked her to 'fetch'

Brenda Howatson was walking labrador Penny along the River Elwy near her home at St Asaph, Denbighshire, when she saw a woman in difficulty. Following her owner's command, Penny jumped into the river and dragged the unconscious woman ashore. Mrs Howatson said the woman, a resident at a local mental health hospital, was safe and well thanks to Penny.

The drama unfolded when Mrs Howatson, a civilian custody officer with North Wales Police, spotted a wheelchair near the river's embankment. She said: "I saw a woman going down towards the river on her bottom. She also had a leg in plaster. I shouted: 'Are you all right, love?' That's when she went in."

"I ran down the embankment. There's a whirlpool down there and it's somewhere Penny normally steers clear of. But I shouted 'fetch' and she just jumped straight in. She went straight for the woman and then dragged her in. As she got to the bank I was able to grab her collar and we pulled the woman in. She was unconscious."

Mrs Howatson put the woman in the recovery position while another man who had witnessed the rescue helped direct paramedics to the scene.

The woman was taken to nearby Ysbyty Glan Clwyd hospital. Mrs Howatson added: "I've since been to visit her at the home and she's recovered fine.

"I'm very proud of Penny, she did a great job. I'm not a strong swimmer but if Penny hadn't have been there I'd have had to try and swim into the whirlpool. There had been heavy rain the day before and the river was very strong. Penny is 10 years old but still very fit."

A spokeswoman for North Wales Police said: "There's no doubt that her [Mrs Howatson's] quick thinking and prompt action saved the woman's life."

The woman is a resident at nearby Plas Coch, an independent mental health facility. A spokeswoman for operators Mental Health Care, said: "We're very grateful to all the members of the public and the emergency services who helped."

Go here for picture & video.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/wales/7385218.stm

ChrisH
05-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Story Two

Missing dog takes bus to seaside

A missing border collie was reunited with his owner after catching a bus to the seaside more than 20 miles away.

Worried owner Emma Ward printed posters and contacted dog wardens, unaware Hike was on the number 11 Arriva bus near her home in Connah's Quay, Flintshire.

But four-year-old Hike was discovered 40 stops later under a seat after making the 23m (37km) journey to the coastal resort of Rhyl in Denbighshire.

Ms Ward said: "I was over the moon to get him back. I was fearing the worst." She added: "I live in between two pubs and there's an alleyway which I let Hike go out into. Everyone round here knows him and he's always somewhere close by, just doing his own thing. He always comes back when I whistle him. But this time he didn't come back and I knew something was wrong."

Hike disappeared at about lunchtime last Thursday, and within hours Emma and her family were printing missing posters. She also contacted the dog rescue home where she spotted Hike two years ago, and alerted local dog wardens.

She said: "By this time I was frantic. I had phoned everyone, including the vets in case he had been knocked down. But then the call came from a dog warden to say he was absolutely fine and had got the bus to Rhyl.

"I used to catch the number 11 bus to work in Holywell and Hike had been on with me before, so he must have decided to just jump on. I was so relieved to see him. But when I got there to pick him up, he was playing ball with the driver - he didn't have a care in the world."

Go here to see a picture of Hike and said bus. :)
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/7375121.stm

Louie and me
05-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Did they charge Hike a bus fare? My Louie is a senior citizen now and could ride for free but for goodness sake please don't tell him. Heaven only knows where I would find him.

lute
05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Those are great stories! Hike looks like one happy dog.

captain
05-08-2008, 12:34 AM
What great stories!!!!

I hope the dog get a bravery award - they do that here in Australia. Do they do that there, Chris??