PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried SILK, soy milk??

moosmom
05-07-2008, 09:45 AM
I bought some the other day and had it on my Honey Nut Cheerios. You cannot tell the difference. It's great. It also comes in flavors which, I really didn't want to try so soon because I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not.

I tried to give what was left in the bowl to the cats. The snots wouldn't drink it. Humpf!!!!:p

Anyone else drink it??

Chica
05-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Yes, I use it in my cereal. I use the vanilla flavor.It's very good, and you can't taste the difference.I can't have regular milk anymore. I get you know, the (runs), heheh!!
So, I have to be carefull.But, it's good for my cereal, and cooking with it to.:love:

Sirrahsim
05-07-2008, 10:07 AM
If you have thyroid disease please do your research before making the switch to any sort of soy products. Soy can really mess up your thyroid hormone levels.
That being said, I have thyroid disease so No, I don't drink Silk. My er... half sister in law(??) drinks it and she loves it:)

Chica
05-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks, that is good to know!:love:

Medusa
05-07-2008, 10:42 AM
No, I haven't tried it. I have difficulty even saying it w/out gagging. If they would sell it in pint size, I might but every store around here insists on selling it in half gallons. If I don't like it, then that's too much waste. Funny you should mention that your cats won't drink it. I buy organic whenever possible and Coco Puff used to love to lick the inside of egg shells but since I switched to organic, he turns up his nose. Wonder why.:confused:

smokey the elder
05-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Milk ought to come from mammals, not plants.:p:D

Medusa
05-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Milk ought to come from mammals, not plants.:p:D

I agree w/you in theory, truly. But cow's milk is for cows, goat's milk for goat's. We get our milk from our mother's breast until we're weaned, obviously. My dilemma is that I LOVE milk and, thankfully, I'm not lactose intolerant but, because I agree w/your statement, I do feel that I should try soy milk. Plus it's supposed to be good for menopausal women. I'm just a fraidy cat to try it.

k9krazee
05-07-2008, 11:54 AM
I love it! If it wasn't so gosh-darn expensive it's likely that I'd get that instead of regular milk as I'm lactose intolerant. The chocolate silk is my faaaavorite.

critters
05-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I I'm just a fraidy cat to try it.

So start with chocolate then. Nothing with chocolate can be bad, right?!! :D

Freedom
05-07-2008, 12:09 PM
I love it! If it wasn't so gosh-darn expensive it's likely that I'd get that instead of regular milk as I'm lactose intolerant. The chocolate silk is my faaaavorite.

I've tried several different soy drinks (I didn't know that about it effecting the thyroid, I am on meds for thyroid, oops!) some I like, some are awful. Unfortunately I never remember which is which so it is always a roulette game when I get one.

I use Lactaid as a regular milk and we have no problem with that. We are huge milk drinkers, so to go without would be a sacrifice indeed! Plus the cats love it and it is alright for them.

k9krazee
05-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm just a fraidy cat to try it.

DEFINITELY start with the chocolate. ;)

IRescue452
05-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Good to know it tastes alright so I won't be afraid to drink it at my vegetarian friend's house. I avoid soy like the plague though, in my opinion its really unhealthy and can prevent you from absorbing good nutrients.

smokey the elder
05-07-2008, 01:02 PM
My experience with soy goes back to 8th grade Home Ec where we had to make soy burgers. How VILE! So I have some bias against soy (except for deep-fried firm tofu which is really good in Pad Thai.)

sparks19
05-07-2008, 01:35 PM
I started drinking Silk when I was breastfeeding Hannah because she just couldn't take it if I drank actual Milk. and I have been drinking it ever since. We use the plain for cooking, the Vanilla and chocolate are really good.

Medusa
05-07-2008, 01:40 PM
I may try the chocolate because I drink 1% chocolate milk now and I love it. If it's the slightest bit chalky, though, I'll gag but I'm sure it isn't or you would've said so. The only choc. milk I drink is 1% Superior because it's so smooth.

momoffuzzyfaces
05-07-2008, 02:11 PM
DEFINITELY start with the chocolate. ;)

That's what I started with too!!! I had tried an off brand years ago and tossed it out. But the chocolate looked so good I tried it and love it. Then I went to Vanilla because I wanted something I could use in different things. Love it too but now am using the Low fat Vanilla. I like it even better. They make great smoothies! The Silk brand is the only kind I'll ever use.

So thrilling to be able to eat cereal again after 30 some years. I feel like a kid again! ;):D

Here is the link to their web site if you'd like to go browse around:
www.silksoymilk.com

RICHARD
05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Choco Soy effing rocks!

With Rice Crispies or Cheerios? I am there.

The vanilla is good in coffee. The regular soy isn't bad, in a pinch.

I can look at regular milk and feel ill, If I get the jones for cereal I do it on the weekends, that way I am close to home.

The Sunday paper always has coupons for soymilk!

momoffuzzyfaces
05-07-2008, 05:12 PM
The chocolate makes a yummy banana shake: one banana, 1 cup choc soy milk, a little sweetener or suger if you like, blend and YUM! :D

neko1
05-07-2008, 05:15 PM
I love the chocolate silk! and that banana shake sounds yummy :D

Suki Wingy
05-07-2008, 08:02 PM
It's tolerable. I'm also lactose intolerant, but I never really liked milk in the first place. Seems like if they make it in soy, I've had it. I really like Tofuti Cuties, they're little ice cream sandwiches made out of tofu.

shepgirl
05-07-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm lactose intolrant and kept hearing people rave about soy milk and how healthy it is. I went to the store and bought some so I could try it. I swallowed three gulps and threw it all up. I thought it was the worst thing I've ever tasted.

joycenalex
05-07-2008, 09:03 PM
i've used it, vanilla flavor on cereal, blended with frozen berries and bananas. even ran a taste testing at work one lunch. the chocolate silk won,:D but it was billed as chocolate milk.:p

Catty1
05-07-2008, 09:28 PM
shepgirl - did you get the unflavoured stuff? NO WONDER.

The stores here have Silk and all the other flavours...but there is a brand of soy that comes in gallon jugs called Sunrise Soy. Sweetened or unsweetened. That's it! :)

I use the plain as a base for smoothies etc - with stevia added for sweetness - and it will take on the flavour of anything you add to it. Kinda like tofu.

It has more protein in it also.

K9karen
05-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I've tried the Soy Milk because John likes it. I nearly gagged. I'm not a big milk drinker in recent years since I developed lactose intolerance. I LOVE Lactaid Chocolate milk. It's thick and sweet and really good.

shais_mom
05-07-2008, 10:41 PM
I've tried SILK and wasn't overly impressed. (chocolate) but I LOVE the 8th Continent's chocolate milk.

http://www.8thcontinent.com/8thContinent.aspx

ramanth
05-07-2008, 11:18 PM
I love Chocolate SILK. I don't really care for the plain, but will use Vanilla on my cereal. :)

finn's mom
05-08-2008, 08:42 AM
If I don't like it, then that's too much waste.

I don't like what I've tried enough to drink it straight from a glass, but using it in cereal, I like it. But, I know where I work, if you don't like something, there's no problem returning it for a full refund. I don't know how your stores are, but we also allow people to try something before purchasing it. It never hurts to ask. :)

aki
05-08-2008, 08:50 AM
i have been using silk for years. the plain unflavored kind. i'm lactose intolerant. and never could fathom just drinking a glass of milk, soy or otherwise. but i use it in mac and cheese, and on cereal, etc. i don't like the flavored kinds tho. :D

`aki

Cataholic
05-08-2008, 09:11 AM
I cannot stand soy milk! It tastes like sandy liquid. :(

Jonah calls it "yuk milk" and can identify it by the various cartons somehow..

moosmom
05-08-2008, 10:11 AM
I've only tried it on cereal. Haven't poured it in a glass to drink it. I guess I'm kind of afraid of what it'll taste like, since I've drunk milk from a cow since I was a baby.

momoffuzzyfaces
05-08-2008, 12:49 PM
I don't just drink the vanilla either (though I did to try it). It was ok that way but I use it for smoothies, on cereal, and for cooking. I do drink the chocolate though. :)

moosmom
05-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I just got brave and tried a sip of the plain. EEEEWWWWWW!!!!!! I'll keep it to use on my cereal. The taste of the plain reminded me of Milk of Magnesia. BLEK!!!!!

shepgirl
05-08-2008, 08:57 PM
shepgirl - did you get the unflavoured stuff? NO WONDER.

The stores here have Silk and all the other flavours...but there is a brand of soy that comes in gallon jugs called Sunrise Soy. Sweetened or unsweetened. That's it! :)

I use the plain as a base for smoothies etc - with stevia added for sweetness - and it will take on the flavour of anything you add to it. Kinda like tofu.

It has more protein in it also.

I did buy the unflavoured Catty, didn't know there were other kinds. I've never noticed anything labelled SILK in our stoes, maybe we don't have it. It was such a horrid taste that I just put it on my list of NO'S....lol
What in the world is stevia? Tofu I tried also, find it so blah...

Giselle
05-08-2008, 09:22 PM
We make our own soy milk.

Soak the beans in water. Grind them in a blender. Strain out the fibers. Boil it. Add sugar or whatever. Voila. Soy milk, the REALLY natural way :)