PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Frontline Plus for Dogs on your cat?

jazzcat
05-06-2008, 02:12 PM
I've been putting Advantage on my Dad's cat Miss Kitty for years but this year the ticks are so bad I decided to switch to Frontline Plus for cats (my vet recommended it over the phone). To save money I bought the Frontline Plus for Dogs online - not from my vet - but now I'm concerned if it is safe to do that like you can with Advantage. I bought the large dog size and I know how much to measure out for her. I just want to make sure it's safe to use the one for dogs on cats.

Anyone use it like that or know for a fact that it is safe?

smokey the elder
05-06-2008, 03:01 PM
If the dose concentration (mg/cc, etc.) is the same for both formulas, then you can adjust the dosage (in cc) for weight. I've done this with Advantage, using a 1 cc syringe (no needle) because I know the concentration for all tube sizes is the same. I don't know about Frontline.

critters
05-06-2008, 06:03 PM
As I recall, FL+ for cats is stronger of methoprene than is the dog version, so it's safe to split doses. PDFs take forever to open with dialup, so I'm not double checking that info. You can open the PDFs at the bottom of http://frontline.us.merial.com/products/products_flplus.asp to check for yourself. :)

jazzcat
05-06-2008, 06:10 PM
As I recall, FL+ for cats is stronger of methoprene than is the dog version, so it's safe to split doses. PDFs take forever to open with dialup, so I'm not double checking that info. You can open the PDFs at the bottom of http://frontline.us.merial.com/products/products_flplus.asp to check for yourself. :)
You are right, the cat version is a bit stronger than the dog version so there shouldn't be a problem. It just may not kill the fleas as long.

critters
05-07-2008, 05:59 AM
Technically, S-Methoprene doesn't kill fleas; it's an IGR (insect growth regulator). I doubt very seriously you'll see much, if any, difference with the lesser strength.

jackie
05-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I use frontline on all my pets, and those little pipettes are so expensive! I have switched to the frontline spray. Rather then having to use 4 pipettes every 6 weeks, I spray every 2 months. A small bottle of the spray runs me about 13 euros, which is enough for 4 dogs of varying sized and a cat, where as the pipettes are about 7 each.

Sevaede
05-09-2008, 12:44 PM
I have been using either 1 dog dose of Frontline or 1 dog dose of Advantage on two cats and one dog for the past 9 months or so. I get this plus a syringe (which I have learned to save instead of throwing away XD). When I've used the advantage, I find that I have to re-dose earlier than when I use Frontline. :) Either way, it's under $20 a month (including a syringe) for all of them. Plus, when I purchase the Frontline, I have enough left over that I dose each of my neighbours dogs (2 dogs, one is 18 lbs, the other is probably about 11-13). :)

catmandu
05-09-2008, 05:15 PM
My Vet Recommends Advantage As The Found Cats Are Completely Indoor Save For Tubster Panther And He Gets A Dose Monthly, Especially Now As He Could Bring In Fleas And He Has An Ova Collar To Keep Them Off.
I Just Pray He Doesnt Lose The Collar, That Was A Double Saw Buck.

Suzuko
05-09-2008, 11:14 PM
I used to use dog FL+ on my cats when I lived where they could safely go outside. Haven't needed to do it the last two summers, thank goodness. I hate to put chemicals of any kind on an animal unless it's absolutely essential.

As I recall, one "large dog" dose of FL+ would treat 8 cats. I had seven, and what I did was put a bit more on the bigger cats and less on the smaller ones, to use up the whole ampule each time, because it's hard to store leftovers.

catfamily
05-10-2008, 12:16 AM
i've also been wondering what to use on my maincoon that goes out on a leash with me.i don't want him bringing in ticks or fleas.there are tons of ticks here in the woods where we are.i never know what is safe and what isn't.every vet says something different it seems:confused:

Suzuko
05-10-2008, 08:46 PM
The best way to keep the Maine Coon from bringing ticks inside is to remove all the ticks before you go in. You just have to check him all over. The ticks take longer to attach to a cat with thick fur, so you should be able to find them before they do any damage. Watch for the tiny, newly hatched "seed ticks" in the spring though. I don't think any of the flea/tick treatments actually repel ticks.

catfamily
05-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Suzuko-thank you for the advice...i will check monty from now on throughly before coming back in.i made sure mike my husband read your advice too so he knows the importance of it;)
i thank you:)
monty is hard...he gets so stubborn and doesn't like to sit still for me but i'll get help with mike.