PDA

View Full Version : Thank goodness for the prong

NicoleLJ
05-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Well I had my first experience with the prong collar and my dizzy spells. The meds I am on cause really nasty dizzy spells and weakness in my legs and arms and so on. I can even faint with them. Well yesterday I had done a lot of running around and when evening came hubby and I decided to take Ajax and Luca for an evening walk. Sheena had been working all day so she got to stay home and rest. I put the prong on Ajax and off we went. The walk was great all the way to the park. I was working on walking him with the leash not in my left hand(he walks on my left) but only in my right hand and hanging loose from my right to the collar and him at heel. He only needed a few collar corrections before I was able to resort to just verbal corrections. Then we started working on him paying attention to me. Like me suddenly stopping so he would have to sit beside me, or me turning in either direction(I would always say Ajax Turn, so he knows to watch which way I am turning). thing like that. When we got to the park we worked on walking in a line with Luca close behind us or in front of us(Ajax likes to lead) and also varying speeds. All the while using verbal commands to keep him at heel.

Then we had a rest. I was tired but the dogs of course weren't. After resting for 15 mins we got up and started home. It is 4 long blocks to our house. After a half block I started to get dizzy. Not majorly so but enough that I know if Ajax had been in his halti and doing his old habits I would have been flat on my face. All the way home though I only had to give 3 verbal commands for him to heel. The rest of the time he corrected himself and kept looking at me and walked the way he should. If it wasn't for the collar Derek would have had to walk him. As it was Derek had to hold my hand to help make sure I didn't fall. I could have easily put my hand on Ajax's back to steady myself, he is tall enough and would have let me, but he is still growing and I will not do that to his growing joints.

So I was able to get a lot accomplished and also make it safely home.
Nicole