PDA

View Full Version : Cat Bite Question!

Sirrahsim
05-05-2008, 05:05 PM
To sum it up very quickly: Tyler was playing, Boomer walked in to visit, Tyler attempted to pick him up (he knows better) and Boomer bit him on the hand. It isn't bad and just barely broke the skin in a few places but I am worried because I know how quickly cat bited get infected. Should I just watch it? Make him an appt for first thing in the morning? Or do I need to take him to the ER or something? I washed his hand and put bandaids on it.
Thanks for any advice! I took this photo within a couple of minutes of the bite after washing his hand with soap and water.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/tylerwendl/May.jpg

kimlovescats
05-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Do you have any peroxide? That would be helpful to pull out any possible infection. I would just watch it very closely. If it shows ANY signs of swelling, or redness other than how it looks right now, then I would go to the doctor or ER right away. Most likely it will be 'ok' but several people here have had bad experiences!

Keep us update, Missy!!!

HUGS,
Kim

Sirrahsim
05-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks Kim!

jenluckenbach
05-05-2008, 05:23 PM
If it was on an adult, I would wait......but for a child?? I'd go NOW! And even though peroxide is a great antibiotic, I was told that since cat bites are deep puncture wounds, the bubbliness of peroxide could force the infection INTO the wound.

I've had cat bites (MANY) and at least one got infected even though I did all the right things. A cat bite put a cowerker in the HOSPITAL for 4 days!! :eek:

Don't take chances.

Sirrahsim
05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
I don't have any peroxide but I did use the Dial foaming hand cleanser. I think the active ingredient is Triclosan or something like that... Maybe I should call Tyler's doc anyway to see what he wants us to do.. :(

catmandu
05-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Pouncer Roccalno Bit Me On The Elbow And It Swelled Up , And I Had To Go To The Rmergency Ward. I Would Go As Its Better To Be Safe Than Sorry.

shepgirl
05-05-2008, 05:40 PM
I don't think you have to worry about it for now, You thought of washing it with antibacterial soap and it really doesn't look that bad. We got cat scratches all the time and never had any that got infected. The only thing to watch for are red streaks going up his arm and you'll know he needs medical attention. I wouldn't rush to put him on any antibiotics, they sometimes harm the immune system worse than a scratch will.

aki
05-05-2008, 06:04 PM
i would keep an eye on it for sure. def put some antibiotic ointment on it. like neosporin.

as many times as sig has bitten me, i should be dead. :p

but he hasn't earned the nickname - sig vicious - by being an angel cat.

~Aki

moosmom
05-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Missy,

It doesn't really look like a "bite" per se. Just make sure that you watch the site for redness. If it starts getting red or the red travels, get him to the ER quick. But, I don't think it'll come to that just by the looks of it.

Jessika
05-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Missy,

It doesn't really look like a "bite" per se. Just make sure that you watch the site for redness. If it starts getting red or the red travels, get him to the ER quick. But, I don't think it'll come to that just by the looks of it.
I was going to comment that it doesn't look like a "puncture" bite to me, either, but this is just seeing a picture vs in person and it could be a different story.

Cat bites are nothing to pass off as they can turn very serious very quickly, but I would at least call his doctor and ask what they think.

Taz_Zoee
Taz bit me before (not the first time :rolleyes:) and I didn't do much to it except wash it with anti-bacterial soap. A few days later I felt a pain on that finger and thought I had a splinter or something, but there was nothing there except what looked like skin peeling. I eventually realized that was were he bit me. I put peroxide on it and it stopped hurting right away and was gone quickly.
But I'm not a cat bite expert. Only telling you my experience. And I'm not a child either. But I know that when I was little my mom would just wash it out with peroxide and we'd be on our way. I grew up with dogs and cats that lived outside (yeah, I know :(), so they probably had all kinds of germies.

I hope Tyler's bite doesn't get worse and all is well soon. :)

Sirrahsim
I've been advised to just keep an eye on it and come in at the first sign of infection :)

Freedom
05-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Great! From the photo, doesn't look to be a problem.

I've had bites which got infected - three times. Even immediately after, they were much deeper than what the photo shows.

Tyler, I think you are starting to learn: LISTEN to Mommy!!

momcat
05-05-2008, 07:54 PM
You might consider talking to your pediatrician to see if a tetanus shot may be in order.