PDA

View Full Version : Should I have the dog put down?

2xbitten
05-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Please help me decide. My best friends dog has bitten my son. This is not the first time the dog has bitten anyone. The dog bit me first. I had never done anything to the dog except scold her for barking. As far as I know it has bitten 3 diiferent people. I didn't count one because it was in her home and the dog may have been being protective, but at the same time it was a child. We have known this dog since a puppy but still acts as if we're new. She said that she would have the dog put down, which maybe a problem for our relationship. It's her husbands dog, (he's in Iraq) and has had to have so many dogs put down for some reason or another. Some have been medical reasons and some have been behavior problems. Part of me says he may contribute to the dogs behavior by rough play. Not only will he be upset with her but also with me. I hate to create friction between all of us, but this is unaccceptable. The animal lover in me says don't put the dog down, part of it is that they may be bad pet owners. So who should I blame, him or the dog? Do I demand that she give the dog away to people that don't have children or are not going to be around children or do I allow and demand her to put the dog down?

Karen
05-05-2008, 08:58 AM
You should explain to your friend that you cannot visit her with that dog in her house until she gets the dogs some behavioral training. Let her now how dangerous it is, and that only training will help the dog, and her.

2xbitten
05-05-2008, 11:18 AM
When the dog bit me almost a month ago I told her to get her dog some training but she has still yet to do it. In addition some of the people that have been bitten, including my son, were not in her home at the time. So I am somewhat against her even keeping the dog because if she hasn't done it yet, she might never send the dog to training. In addition she has children of her own, although they have not been bitten.

Karen
05-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Has the dog been reported to Animal Control? Usually dog bites have to be recorded in most places.

I would then not visit her at all. Maybe that will impress on her the importance of the situation.

shepgirl
05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
I agree with you telling her you can't visit as long as the dog is there. If she's already been told to get the dog some training and hasn't done it, I don't expect she ever will. As for the husband, would he rather come home in the middle of a lawsuit because this dog has caused serious damage to some other child or person...so far they have been lucky nobody has sued them, their luck won't always hold up.
If I had to choose between my childrens' safety or a friendship, my kids would be my first priority and a true friend would understand this.

Moesha
05-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Is the dog uptodate on its shots?

Jessika
05-05-2008, 07:48 PM
IMO if one of my *true* friends had a dog with behavioral problems, they would take my advice to heart and do something about it and would NOT guilt me about any decision they CHOSE to make. Then again, all of my close friends are all wonderful, selfless people and if they had a problem dog like that they would seek my help and advice and they WOULD get training and they would completely understand why I could not visit them until the dog has been worked with, especially if I had a child around!!

If your friend doesn't want to be complaint, then that is her prerogative and her decision. But DO NOT feel bad about any decision SHE decides to make. This is not your decision. If you feel scared and/or threatened by this dog and she won't do anything about it then it's sad but in all honesty I would feel it be my duty to society (and the safety of everyone living around her and in the general public) to report her to animal control. Maybe that will give her a dose of reality and she will take it to training or something.

It's a shame her husband is in Iraq, and bless his heart for fighting for our freedom and our country, but that doesn't negate the fact that this dog *seemingly* hasn't been properly taken care of (yes, in my opinion basic training is a factor in properly caring for your dog) and she really needs to do something about it.

How does the dog behave around her?

EDIT: And as far as worrying about the husband being mad at you... let him. You are not forcing your friend to do anything. If she chooses to get training, good for her. If she chooses to have the dog put down then SHE chose to put the dog down, NOT you. Don't guilt yourself over this.

Just lay low, explain to her you simply can not be around, especially with your child, until she gets the dog some training or rehomes him with someone who can give him more time and training that he deserves.

Have her children been bit? That would terrify me, I missed that part at first... if the dog bit your child and other strangers, what makes her think the dog won't do some serious damage to her own children?

pitc9
05-06-2008, 09:54 AM
If this is not the first time they've had a dog that's had to be put down for behavioral problems...it should be obvious to them that they need to take a step back and learn how to raise a dog. The saddest thing about it that the dog and the dogs in the past will or already have paid with their life for the lack of discipline and absence of training their owners have failed to provide them with.

From what you've said... I can only assume the bites have not been too serious. Your friend needs to realize that all it would take is one bite with the wrong person and she can be sued and could lose everything, not just the dog!!

Find names of animal behaviorist in her area, and HAND them to her. Don't rely on her to look up names and phone numbers. Let her know that you are serious and you #1 don't want anyone to be bitten again #2 worry about what could happen next time. Let her know that you're looking out for her own good as well as your own and your son's!!!

Catty1
05-06-2008, 09:56 PM
It might not hurt to call AC and let them know that this is one of many dogs these people have owned that have had problems, and some had to be PTS.

With that kind of track record - it's the people, not the dogs.

Poor puppies.

Read this thread and show it to your friend - if you think it will help: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=141627

Pawsitive Thinking
05-07-2008, 05:14 AM
The fact that they have had other dogs put down for so many reasons makes it blindingly obvious that these people should not own dogs!

I would suggest that your friend surrenders the dog to a rehoming centre where it can get the training and attention it so obviously needs.

If the husband plays rough with the dog then it thinks that is how it can play with everyone - not matter who they are.

Poor dog - encourage your friend to get it re-homed with people who know what they are doing

shepgirl
05-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Didn't realize they had other dogs PTS. If that's the case I agree that it's the owners and not the dogs that are at fault.

chocolatepuppy
05-10-2008, 07:49 AM
With that kind of track record - it's the people, not the dogs.

I agree. I think the dog should be rehomed with someone who knows how to train a dog. Shame on these people for killing off dog after dog and not even trying to train them properly!:mad: They should not have a dog!:(

Pawsitive Thinking
05-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Any updates on this poor, confused dog?