PDA

View Full Version : Keyboards 'dirtier than toilet seat'

RICHARD
05-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Some computer keyboards carry more harmful bacteria than a toilet seat, according to new research.

Consumer group Which? said tests at its London offices found equipment carrying bugs that could cause food poisoning.

Out of 33 keyboards swabbed, four were regarded as a potential health hazard and one harboured five times more germs than one of the office's toilet seats.

A microbiologist ordered the worst keyboards to be so dirty he ordered it to be removed, quarantined and cleaned.

It had 150 times the recommended limit for bacteria - five times as filthy as a lavatory seat tested at the same time, the research found.

Dr Wilson, a consultant microbiologist at University College London Hospital, said sharing a keyboard could be passing on illnesses among office workers.

"If you look at what grows on computer keyboards, and hospitals are worse, believe it or not, it's more or less a reflection of what's in your nose and in your gut," he said.

"Should somebody have a cold in your office, or even have gastroenteritis, you're very likely to pick it up from a keyboard."

Which? computing editor Sarah Kidner advised users to give their computer "a spring clean".

"It's quite simple to do and could prevent your computer from becoming a health hazard," she said.

-------------------

At first I thought this was a music story.....I apologize to all people at church I refused to shake hands with because they were alway touching their organs.:confused:;)

Freedom
05-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Richard, they didn't even DISCUSS cats sitting on keyboards! Oh boy did they miss a biggie . . . . .

Catty1
05-04-2008, 09:25 PM
And we are supposed to clean them HOW?

I've taken mine apart and run soapy water through, rinsed VERY well and let THOROUGHLY dry.

not sure if the wireless would be the same - there is a protective layer between the keyboard and the electronics below.

Compressed air, rubbing alcohol and q tips I guess. :)

Taz_Zoee
05-05-2008, 03:17 PM
I just grabbed the clorox wipes and started cleaning AS I was reading the post. Just the title made me go for the wipes. ICKY!!!

Pam
05-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Richard, they didn't even DISCUSS cats sitting on keyboards! Oh boy did they miss a biggie . . . . .

Yes they did! My hubby would probably chime in here if he were a Pet Talker. He is always talking about the "kitty litter feet" that prance across our kitchen table. Of course I clean the table before serving dinner but it does seem to bother him nevertheless. I guess I should be cleaning my work keyboard more often too. Maybe a little alcohol on a cotton ball once in a while?

Cinder & Smoke
05-05-2008, 03:36 PM
He is always talking about the "kitty litter feet" that prance across our kitchen table.

:D

The thought of Kitty Litter Feet on the table
DOES raise the Ewwwww factor a bit!

:p

Randi
05-05-2008, 03:43 PM
And how long ago is it you took your keyboard, turned it upside down and shook it? Try! :eek:

Karen
05-05-2008, 04:01 PM
The one neat-freak I worked with years ago constantly cleaned her keyboard - which no one else ever touched. Sadly, she never understood (despite me explaining patiently, over and over) that water+electricity are a bad combination, and so used a spray cleaner on her keyboard. Then, when her keys would start sticking, or even stop functioning, she felt persecuted because no one else's keyboard failed as often as hers. Sigh.

jackie
05-05-2008, 04:12 PM
I can believe that, my personal keyboard is FILTHY, but I don't think I will lose much sleep over it.

RICHARD
05-05-2008, 05:01 PM
And how long ago is it you took your keyboard, turned it upside down and shook it? Try! :eek:

How can you type with the keyboard upside down and shaking?;)

Jessika
05-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Oooooh yeah hehe I've known about this for awhile now, and it kinda makes sense if you think about it

Taz_Zoee
05-05-2008, 06:24 PM

I occassionaly take canned air and clean my keyboard out. I'm a bad girl and tend to eat at my desk so crumbs fall in there a lot.:o

Daisy and Delilah
05-06-2008, 03:50 PM
I cleaned mine with Q-tips, cotton balls, and alcohol once. It was so labor intensive, I decided to live with it the way it is :D

lizbud
05-06-2008, 05:01 PM
I do shake out the keyboard on my home pc & get lots of crumbs.:p

I also eat lunch at the computer. I'm sure office equipment has tons of
germs, but mine are friendly ,family germs.:)

Pam
05-06-2008, 05:16 PM
:D

The thought of Kitty Litter Feet on the table
DOES raise the Ewwwww factor a bit!

:p

Yep Phred here is an example of Kitty Litter Feet, although I think hubby has made him self conscious and now he now hides them by doing the meatloaf pose. :p
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Belrip/DSCN7141.jpg

pitc9
05-07-2008, 01:32 PM
I have a bottle of Rubbing Alcohol next to my desk at work, but more times than not I clean my keyboard and phone after I realize that I've gotten sick!
DUH!!