PDA

View Full Version : Blood Parasites ?? Questions HELP Please?

Anikaca77
05-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Well today I stopped by and saw Shirley Fonda (Foundas Foundlings) a non-profit organization who rescues cats and I've helped her out over the past year or so.

Well anyway, there was this little black kitty named Blackie (I've attached a picture of her) who is over 6 1/2 months old and fixed, shots, combo tested etc.

Anyway, I was talking to Shirley about her today because I noticed that she was wobbling and what not. Shirley said she had a blood parasite that lowered her red blood count which caused her to lose some oxygen which resulted in her having some nerve damage. I told her about some of the kitty's I know some of you guys have that have CH and I told her it sounded like that but I'm not sure. I guess I'm not sure how the CH kitties get CH or if it's the same thing that Blackie could have.

I asked Shirley if she was over the blood parasite and she said she hoped so.

I'm supposed to go over to Shirley's to get more pictures of the cats to update them on her petfinder website and I didn't think to ask her while I was at Petco visiting her if I came over can I get this blood parasite on me and give it to my guys?

I'm pretty worried about this and she had this happen last year because one cat she took in had this parasite and then it transfered onto another cat and killed it and then she had to do a flea bomb to get rid of them and things settled down but I just don't want to carry anything to my house. I know she would understand and she does keep her house as clean as she possibly can now with 60 cats, she was down past 60 but with kitten season she took in more cats and well it's getting harder and harder to find homes for the older cats.

Anyway, any advice would be great and I'll be sure to ask Shirley as well before I go over.

Thanks,
Melissa

Here is some information I found on the web about a blood parasite, I'm just not sure if this is the right thing or not.

Haemobartonella Felis is a parasite which is transmitted to kitties mainly by ticks but may also be transmitted by fleas. It may also be transmitted by a blood transfusion from an infected cat. Haemobartonella Felis targets the red blood cells which are responsible for carrying oxygen. The disease caused is sometimes called Feline Infectious Anemia. This tiny parasite infects the red blood cells and causes them to become fragile and to break apart inside the body. These tiny parasites are closely related to Rickettsia.

The usual signs of Haemobartonella Felis are related to anemia, which is a shortage of red blood cells. Some cats may be infected without signs of the disease. Those infected with Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV) or Feline Immunodefiency Virus (FIV) are more likely to have severe disease. Cats infected with Haemobartonella Felis may become depressed, weak, and have pale pink or white gums and tongue. They may well refuse to eat, may lose weight, and their skin and gums may become yellow. Without therapy, one third of cats with Haemobartonella Felis die from severe anemia.

Some cats recover from the disease but become carriers of the organism. This means the cats look healthy but still have small numbers of Haemobartonella Felis in their bodies. If these cats become stressed, it sometimes causes the Haemobartonella Felis to multiply and produce disease.

In order to diagnose Haemobartonella Felis a complete blood count must be taken. This will show a decrease in red blood cells. When a sample of the blood is strained and examined under the microscope, the parasite itself may be seen on the cells. The number of organisms in the bloodstream can fluctuate dramatically. There can be many observed in one sample, and a sample taken two hours later may reveal none. Cats should be tested for Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV) since many cats can be infected with both Haemobartonella Felis and FeLV at the same time. The presence of FeLV virus and its effect on the immune system can complicate treatment.

To treat Haemobartonella Felis, antibiotics such as tetracycline, oxytetracycline, or doxycycline are given for three weeks. Although it may seem contradictory, in cats with a rapid course of disease, large doses of prednisolone (a steroid) may sometimes be given to suppress the destruction of the red blood cells by the body. In some animals, it is necessary to give one or multiple transfusions. A glucose rich intravenous fluid may be life saving in very weak and debilitated pets. Some cats cannot tolerate tetracycline and will develop fever, vomiting, or diarrhea. If this occurs, the veterinarian may lower the dosage or choose another antibiotic. Only the veterinarian should make changes in treatment.

When pets are treated promptly, the prognosis is good for recovery. Without treatment approximately 30% of the cats will die. Cats may remain carriers of the organism for long periods, but they usually do not become sick again once they have recovered.

As with other diseases transmitted by fleas or ticks, flea control and tick control are the foundations of prevention. Products which repel and kill ticks and fleas such as Flea Halt Wipes for Cats are excellent choices. Frontline kills ticks, but does not repel them.

There have been no reported cases of Haemobartonella Felis in people.

Anikaca77
05-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Ok I just found this info on CH so I'm guessing it's not related to what Blackie has but it sure sounds like it.

Melissa

Cerebellar Hypoplasia

The cerebellum is the portion of the brain responsible for the control of motion. When a puppy or kitten is born with an underdeveloped cerebellum, the condition is known as congenital cerebellar hypoplasia. There are infectious causes of this condition in both cats (panleukopenia infection prior to birth) and dogs (herpes virus infection prior to birth). Improper development of the cerebellum may occur due to injury, poisoning or just from an accident in development in the uterus. It is generally possible to see signs of this condition almost as soon as the puppy or kitten is born. Affected animals have tremors and unusual jerky movements or may fall down when they try to move. The symptoms do not get worse as they age. As the kitten or puppy grows it will learn to compensate for its condition but there are usually lifelong signs of a decreased ability to coordinate movement. Almost all dogs and cats with congenital cerebellar hypoplasia can live happily as pets with a little special care to compensate for their disabilities. This condition can be confused with cerebellar abiotrophy, a different disorder in dogs in which the puppy has a normal cerebellum at birth but it gradually dies. Signs of disease identical to cerebellar hypoplasia occur but the timing is different. Puppies with this condition seem normal at birth but usually start to show signs of problems after they are 2 months or more of age.

Mike Richards, DVM

Emeraldgreen
05-03-2008, 11:23 PM
I've been interested in finding out more about CH as well. I found this link on PT that has some info on it.
CH info (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=103971&highlight=cerebellar+hypoplasia)

It's a thread started by Laura's Babies and she has a cat with CH. I'm going to ask her a few questions because she seems to know quite a bit about it. :)

critters
05-04-2008, 05:53 AM
Hemobart was going to be my guess for the blood parasite. Perhaps the blood cell destruction caused a little brain damage in the baby's cerebellum, just like CH.

When Faith had hemobart, she was as orange as a pumpkin and right here in the house, but nobody else, besides maybe her babies, got it.

catmandu
05-04-2008, 03:36 PM
These Things Are Good To Know As Tubster Panther Is An Indoor/outdoor Cat And I Will Have The Knowledge Now Of What To Look Out For.
Thank You.

catfamily
05-04-2008, 06:51 PM
monty is my only cat that i walk on a leash outside and i am so afraid he will bring things like this in to my others.but he needs this walk like a dog daily or he gets depressed...i do put flea stuff on him...i hope it is enough.i also get afraid and never know which stuff is safe to use.every vet says something different about each product it seems but i am scared to death of haemobartonella AND bartonnella too.

Freedom
05-04-2008, 07:41 PM
I use Revolution, as it repels as well as kills fleas, and covers a lot of other stuff as well. Including heartworm, so I don't have double dose the cats as I do the dogs.

Frontline kills fleas but does not repel them.

Advantage both kills and repels but does not cover many other parasites.

I just scanned a few articles re haemobartonella as I wasn't familiar with it. Quite a few ( but not ALL) said the cat is usually a 'carrier' even after it is all healed up. So be cautious with bringing it home to your cats would be my suggestion.

Anikaca77
05-04-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm just so scared that I might bring something home but I want to help her and I guess I just need to wear my sandels and shorts and that way I can look for fleas on me before coming into my house.

I just don't want to risk getting a blood parasite on me and bringing it home to my guys but I also want to help her get down with the number of cats that she has but it is hard too because she takes in kittens and the adults are still stuck waiting for a home.

Melissa

Freedom
05-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm just so scared that I might bring something home but I want to help her and I guess I just need to wear my sandels and shorts and that way I can look for fleas on me before coming into my house.

I just don't want to risk getting a blood parasite on me and bringing it home to my guys but I also want to help her get down with the number of cats that she has but it is hard too because she takes in kittens and the adults are still stuck waiting for a home.

Melissa

That's why you treat your cats and keep them up to date on everything.

Anikaca77
05-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Even if I treat my cats though, if a flea that has a parasite bites my cat, my cat can still get the parasite right?

Sorry I'm not to familiar with these parasites and what not. I just don't want my cats to get a parasite and end up like poor Blackie is.

Melissa

catfamily
05-05-2008, 10:24 AM
this subject gets me very nervous also...i am not to familiar with this either and reading everyone's advice.:confused:

Anikaca77
05-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Well I was talking to my husband about this parasite thing and well sad to say that my husband feels that I should go over to her house because the "what if" I brought something into our house. So I think I'll just give Shirley my camera and let her take the photos and I can edit them I guess.

I feel really bad but I can't risk bringing a parasite into my house and getting my cats all sick.