PDA

View Full Version : Will go to hospital for a long time (update #46)

Kirsten
04-29-2008, 01:04 PM
With all the health problems I have (it basically affects almost everything meanwhile) my doctor decided to send me to hospital. Actually it would be more like a treatment at a health resort. I just need to get out of this vicious circle of constant worrying and existencial fears which made me so ill that my thyroid gland disease and all the other hormonal endocrinological problems are acting up and make me feel so bad that I barely function. I will have to stay at least 6 weeks, maybe more.

At this point, I don't know where I'm going to, and I don't know when (probably next week).

Of course that means I have to part with my girls for a very long time! The thought of being seperated from Luna and Lily really breaks my heart, and I already miss them. I can't imagine not to have them around, not to be there for them, as I promised them I always would be.

They will stay at home while I'm away, being looked after by my mother. A neighbor also wanted to care for them, but she was admitted to hospital herself today with severe thyroid problems.

I won't be here on Lily's 5th birthday on May 23rd, nor will I be here on Luna's 8th Gotcha Day on June 5th. This makes me so sad! And I will miss at least the beginning of the European Soccer Championship to which I was so much looking foward to. But I hope this time off will help me to finally get some rest and recover my strength a bit...

I will let you know when I'm leaving...

Kirsten

Sevaede
04-29-2008, 01:29 PM
oh no Kirsten! :( We miss you already! Can't believe you're going to be gone for such a long time!

*********HUGS*********

We hope you feel better soon! :( :) *HUGS*

momoffuzzyfaces
04-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Aw, Kirsten you certainly will be missed. :( You will be in my thoughts and prayers and so will your furry babies. As hard as it is, you have to take care of yourself first.

(((HUGS)))

Daisy and Delilah
04-29-2008, 01:39 PM
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, Kirsten. I know how hard it is to be away from home for a few days. That's difficult enough. You are very brave. I hope everything comes out well for you.

moosmom
04-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Kirsten,

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself.

Catty1
04-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Kirsten - can we send cards to you care of your mom?

If you have an address we can use, please let us know.

I know you will miss your girls tremendously - too bad you don't have a friend who could "live in" while you are away.

However - I am glad you are getting 6 weeks of rest, where your condition can be assessed and medications, if any, figured out properly. :)

Can you get any government income while you are away?

HUGS!

Karen
04-29-2008, 02:19 PM
We hope this time away will be the rest and recuperation time you sorely need. If there's an address at which we could reach you, when you find it out, will you PM it to me, so I can let people know? And as for missing certain "holidays" with the girls, just think of the party you will have when you reunite.

jackie
04-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Get the rest that you need and get healthy! I know it will be hard for you to be away from your girls, but it sounds like you sure need this.

If you have Internet access i hope you can keep us updated on your progress.

Grace
04-29-2008, 02:33 PM
This has got to be so hard on you - but if it works as planned will be worth it in the end.

We will miss you, and the girls. Do you suppose you might have time to teach Luna and/or Lily the basics of the http://bestsmileys.com/computer1/14.gif. Then they could keep us up to date on everyone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/CatMoon.gif

carole
04-29-2008, 03:14 PM
sweetheart i know your heart is breaking at leaving the kitties,we all can relate, but you have to do what you have to do, taking care of number one , yourself to get well, so you can be around your kitties once again soon and take care of them, I hope you get better soon and wish you well for your recovery, take care sweetie, all the best. :)

slick
04-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Kirsten, I'm so sorry that this has to happen but on the bright side, if this recuperation period can fix you up for good, then let it happen. Of course you missed deeply miss Lily and Luna and I know that they will miss you too.

Six weeks is a long time to be away. We will miss you.

Have a good rest and come back healthy!!!

(((hugs)))

phesina
04-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Oh, Kirsten, I'm so sorry.. such an ordeal, and all that time away from your girls.

We are all praying that the doctors will find out what's really going on and come up with just the treatment to fix it.

We will all be thinking of you and saying more prayers and doing our dances and chanting and sending our love and healing energies. And we will send cards also, when we know where to send them.

Love, hugs, and purrs,
Pat and cats

Laura's Babies
04-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Go get yourself well! That is what is impoirtant. In the long run, Lily and Luna and you will be better because you are well. Just keep remembering that when you are missing them and feeling guilty for breaking your promise to them. You will be missed but you needn't worry about anything but getting well!!

Catty1
04-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Gosh...I wish I could take a holiday to Germany right now!

Barbara? kittycatsdelight? Wanna do shifts? ;)

Medusa
04-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Kirsten, I'm sure you'll miss your fur babies but not to worry; they don't know that it's their birthdays or gotcha days. And think of the wonderful reunion you'll have upon your return. Take the time you need to get well; if it's 6 weeks or more, so be it. You can't take good care of your girls if you don't take care of yourself first. This is a blessing in disguise and may just be what you need to turn things around. In the meantime, know that all your PT friends will be praying for you and your fur babies and they'll be well taken care of. :)

lizbud
04-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Be sure to tell us when you are leaving to we can give you a proper send off. :)

Rest & relaxation & getting healthy sound good to me. You can come back
rejuvenated & refreshed. :)

Sonia59
04-30-2008, 05:25 AM
Oh Kirsten, we will miss you too. But thinking positively, it's probably a good thing for you, to take some distance with certain things of your daily life.

I am glad your kitties will have your mom's visit. Don't worry for them. Of course you will miss them but they don't have the same notion of time as humans have. For them it will not be for so long. When you are back they will great you as if you would just have left for work. Take a lot of pics of them with you ;)

Sending you postcards is a good idea. If you want to give us an address where to send them we will think about you :)

Bengalz
04-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Kirsten,

All paws and claws are crossed that this is what you need to help you get back on your feet and on with your life. Your precious girls will miss you, as you will them, however, think about how much better things will be when you get home :)

We'll all be praying and cheering for you - hold that thought :)

gini
04-30-2008, 11:29 AM
As everyone else has said, it will be difficult for you to be away from your fur babies. But, if you don't take good care of yourself now - you won't be able to care for them properly in the future. They will miss you - but they aren't going to forget you!

You have my prayers that this "time out" for you will be healing and put you on the right track for a healthy new start.

sirrahved
04-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Oh Kirsten, I pray that this will help resolve your health problems! Take care of yourself. It sounds like the girls are in good hands. Healthy vibes to you!

dukedogsmom
05-01-2008, 04:01 AM
Oh Kirsten, I'm sad for you, as well :( I know missing those two special dates will be so hard. And at times of stress, we need our animals even more. Will you have computer access so you can check in? Please pm me with where you'll be and I can send you a card. I hope the time goes fast and that you feel much better at the end of it.

Barbara
05-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Kirsten it makes me sad to hear you are having all these problems- but on the other hand I think it is a great chance for you to overcome them.
Don't try to worry too much about the girls- I have been away for up to five weeks on vacation and as long as they have their territory Filou and Tigris feel very well.
I am sure Luna and Lily will be very velcro once you come back.
Where will you be going? Is it near your town? Do you think your parents would take cards with them and send them to you if we send it to your home address?
All my best wishes- I think this will be a great approach to really getting better :)

cyber-sibes
05-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Try not to stress out over this, there will be angels watching over your furkids while you are away, Kirsten. Of course we'll miss you too, but I can't think of a better reason to be away than to heal and recover. :) You so deserve relief from these health issues. We'll be praying for you. ((hugs))

pitc9
05-01-2008, 09:29 AM
{{{HUGS}} to you!!
I know you'll be sad without the girls, but please be sure to take care of yourself and get better soon!

Randi
05-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Kirsten, I think it will do you good to go to a hospital/health resort - if you can stop worrying about Luna and Lily. ;) They will be fine I'm sure. Write a list to your mom about food, treats, water, litterbox, habits - everything you can think of, and make her promise to keep you updated. :)

I have just been away for a week, with Fister alone in my flat, and I have to admit I was a little worried at times, but my neighbor came in twice a day to feed him and cuddle, and when I came he was just fine, although very velcro! :D

I hope this will be the beginning of a better life for you. Try not to worry so much, you can't change things anyway, so you might as well let go and enjoy your treatment. You, Luna and Lily will survive this too! :)

Have a wonderful relaxed time!

(((hugs)))

Catty1
05-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Just a note: Accepting something does not mean you have to like it. ;)

"And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation-some fact of my life-unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation exactly the way it supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God´s world by mistake...unless I accept life completely on life´s terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.
"Shakespeare said, ´All the world´s a stage and all the men and women merely players.´...acceptance [has] taught me that there´s a bit of good in the worst of us and a bit of bad in the best of us; that we are all children of God and we each have a right to be here. When I complain about me or about you, I´m complaining about God´s handiwork. I am saying that I know better than God."

{{{hugs}}}

ramanth
05-01-2008, 12:40 PM
*HUGS* I wish you lots of love, luck, and prayers.

lvpets2002
05-01-2008, 12:40 PM
:( Kirsten I am so sad to hear this of you being gone.. I know it would just tear me up so to be away from my babies.. Get Plenty of Rest & maybe you can come back home sooner.. Give the babies Bigg Huggss.. Yes do send us a address so we can all send you cards.. We Will Miss You.. (((((((( HUGGSS )))))))))

jennielynn1970
05-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Oh Kirsten, I know it will be hard, but when you come home, and things will be better, it will all have been worth it.

Lots of thoughts and prayers going out to you and to Luna and Lily.

kimlovescats
05-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Kirsten, I think the break and rest will do you so much good! You will feel so rested and full of energy when you get back to your girls! I know it's hard to think of leaving them right now, but they will be fine!

HUGS,
Kim

RICHARD
05-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Wait until the hospital staff start getting messages for you! ;)

They will MAKE you get better!

Best wishes from Cah Lee Fuh Nee ah!

DJFyrewolf36
05-02-2008, 02:47 AM
Here is hoping the rest does you a world of good. I'll miss you and your gorgeous pictures (you must tell Luna and Lilly to post for you ;) )

*HUGS!!!*

Pawsitive Thinking
05-02-2008, 05:50 AM
Your girls want their Meowmie to feel better, like we all do. Look forward to having you "home" again soon.

Take care

Kirsten
05-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Thank you all very much for your replies, your encouragement means a lot to me! I'm sorry I did not reply sooner but I was having problems with my computer the last couple of days. Very annoying.

I still don't know the details. The clinic I wanted to go to (in the Black Forest in the South of Germany) has a waiting list of 4 months, which is way too long. but it would have been great because two friends of mine and also my sister are living nearby, so it would have been a great opportunity to spend some time with them. But with such a long time to wait, it's no longer an option.

There's also a clinic very close to where I live, and I could even go home at the weekends, which would be great because I could see my girls, but on the other hand, I fear it wouldn't give me the distance I need. It's really hard to tell what's better, going to a nearby clinic or to one that's far away. I fear I will miss my girls so much that I'm getting really homesick.

The more days are passing, the harder it is for me to imagine to be without my girls. Even now they are very attached to me, and they are so cute... I don't want to leave them but I feel so burnt out... It's really hard!

I will give you an adress as soon as I know where I'm going, I will send it to Karen, as she suggested. And Tenna (Uniqueviking) will keep you updated, also on Luna and Lily. :) I will probably have internet access too (most clinics/hospital have it), but you have to pay for using it, so I will probably just check my emails every couple of days).

Will tell you more as soon as I get any news.

Kirsten

Catty1
05-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Are there only two clinics available, Kirsten? It would be great if you could get in to the Black Forest one earlier...but I guess your doctor could only move you up the list if is was a real emergency. I don't know how that works.

If you went to the one closer to you, would you have the discipline to NOT go home on weekends? ;) You could ask your doctor to specify no weekend release! :) Or is the clinic just too close anyway?

{{{{hugs}}}}

Kirsten
05-02-2008, 12:34 PM
There are many more clinics than these two, my doctor wanted to call today and tell me about some more, but she didn't. We'll probably discuss that on Monday now.

I think when I'm in one close to my home, I would go home at the weekends (it's what people usually do as there are no treatments at the weekends).

And btw, the 4 months waiting list is actually for emergency cases. :D

Well, I guess I'll wait and see what my doctor has to offer. I would actually prefer one with a holistic treatment but I'm not sure if my health insurance would cover that up...

Kirsten

Catty1
05-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Kirsten - I don't know what the word is in German or Germany - but there are now many "complementary" physicians. They are regular trained Medical Doctors who also have training in alternative therapies.

I would rather have a kind and caring and knowledgeable MD than an uncaring holistic one. I would think these clinics could advise on natural things that could help you as well, and might even use some. The medical and holistic world have to be balanced, IMO

JMO -getting the best of both worlds would be best, with an MD in charge.

1. Many modern meds are made from plants.

2. Many "natural" things are not good for us...thunderstorms, hurricanes, earthquakes.

Just try and keep an open mind, hon. Hopefully your doctor knows you well enough to recommend a place that will work for you.

hugs

krazyaboutkatz
05-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Kirsten, I'm sorry to hear that you're still having health problems.:( I hope that this much needed rest will help you. We sure will miss you around here. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-04-2008, 05:04 AM
I just found this post (we were away for 4 days).

This "time-out" will be perfect for you; I am so happy that you decided to do this :). Don't worry about your cats, they will be well looked after!

See you back in 6 weeks, all healthy and happy :)

ps. Karen, I would like to get that address too!

Kirsten
05-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Well, I just got a call from a clinic in Bad Gandersheim today, most likely I will go there on May 28, or June 4; I will get the exact date and all the details in a couple of days. I will keep you informed! :)

Kirsten

Laura's Babies
05-20-2008, 02:10 PM
In case you leave before I get back, take care and get yourself well.. You are no good to your girls if you are to sick to care for them so THIS IS for them too! I will be thinking about you while I am gone and will send a prayer up every now and then that this is exactly what you need to get well! Take Care, you are cared for a LOT!

Medusa
05-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Take as long as you need to heal, Kirsten. In the meantime, your girls will be well taken care of. God will see to that. Know that all your PT family will be praying for you, as we have been all along. :)

Karen
05-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Well, I just got a call from a clinic in Bad Gandersheim today, most likely I will go there on May 28, or June 4; I will get the exact date and all the details in a couple of days. I will keep you informed! :)

Kirsten

Good to hear! Let the healing begin!

lizbud
05-20-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm glad you don't have to wait much longer. Just remember we will
all be praying & sending you virtual hugs for support.:)

Catty1
05-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Kirsten! {{{{hugs}}}} I wondered where you were!

So - is this a different clinic than the first two you mentioned?

Looking forward to the update...take care!

Kirsten
05-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks! :)

I got a letter from the clinic in Bad Gandersheim today, I'll be leaving on May 28 already. Will stay at least till July 9!

The infos they sent sound very good - if only I wouldn't have to part with my girls!! This is almost an unbearable thought, and I'm very worried that something goes wrong while I'm away. Lily has started to run out of the apartment door when it's opened. Yesterday, she tried to escape when I came back with the laundry from the basement. This is scaring me because I don't know how the catsitters will handle such a situation. She never did that before. Just as if she doesn't want me to leave - or as if she wants to come with me!!

Kirsten

Medusa
05-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Try not to let those worries get the better of you, Kirsten, so that you don't hinder your healing. Be sure to make your catsitter aware of what Lily has been doing lately so that she can be extra cautious. All will be well. :)

cyber-sibes
05-23-2008, 12:57 PM
I'll be praying for you Kirsten. Our animals pick up on our worries, try to focus on how everything will be okay while you're gone. I usually have a talk with mine & explain everything - seems to help even if they don't understand the words.

Kirsten
05-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks! :)

Be sure to make your catsitter aware of what Lily has been doing lately so that she can be extra cautious.

I tried to tell them (my mother and neighbor), but they think I'm over-reacting! :( That's why I'm worried!!

Kirsten

Emeraldgreen
05-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Kirsten, is it possible to make a temporary second door inside the first one? We did this at our old place in the barn because our cats were always trying to escape as we opened the door to get in. I know it would be unattractive but you you could create something like this using plywood to create a space between the door and the rest of the house. This would allow your pet sitters to open the door, close it behind them, take a few steps and then slide the plywood out of the way. Or instead, you could use some plastic sheeting or tarps and nail them to the ceiling and put rocks or something heavy to keep them from getting in underneath. It would just give your pet sitter that extra 30 seconds to get in and out safely without potential 'escapees' on her tail.
I know this would look really strange but if it gives you peace of mind while you are away, trying to heal yourself, then it would be worth it.
Also, maybe you could have some tags made up before you go with your pet sitters phone number on them. If a cat gets out, someone will read the tag and call the petsitter.
Just some thoughts. Hope they help. :)

Kirsten
05-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Well, when I moved in here, I made this:

http://www.catmom.de/pix/door.jpg

I'm setting this up when I'm leaving the house, but remove it when I'm at home. It's easy to handle. The kitties are able to get inside, but still it's a bit of a barrier between my apartment and the outer world. I will give the catsitters instructions not to remove this thing as long as I'm away.

Kirsten

lizbud
05-23-2008, 05:24 PM
I'll be praying for you Kirsten. Our animals pick up on our worries, try to focus on how everything will be okay while you're gone. I usually have a talk with mine & explain everything - seems to help even if they don't understand the words.

Well, I'm glad you have a set date so you can begin this healing period,
but don't forget what Cyber-sibes said. It's true you know.:)

Catty1
05-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Kirsten - is there an address we can send mail to?

If we can send messages to your parents, their English must be very good as they get tourists at their place, right?

We'll want to stay in touch.

HUGS! :love:

Karen
05-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Kirsten has promised to send me the address when she gets it, I will have it available by PM, and will post that I have it when she sends it to me.

Catty1
05-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks, Karen.:)

Kirsten
05-25-2008, 12:48 PM
If we can send messages to your parents, their English must be very good as they get tourists at their place, right?

No, they don't speak English, not a single word, to be honest. :)

Well, regarding the adress: I think it's probably the best to send mail (if you like to, but I would love to get some cards while I'm away from home ;)) to my home addy. My mother will check my mail and send it to the clinic once a week or so. I think this way it's better because I don't know for long I'll stay. They said probably July 9, but who knows...

I will send my adress to Karen before I leave. :)

Kirsten