PDA

View Full Version : Found baby bird *PICS ADDED*

jackie
04-29-2008, 02:49 AM
I know this should go into pet general, but it will get more hits here.

My neighbor just brought me over a tiny baby parrot that his cat got. It is still alive and apart from a scratch on his neck, which has stopped bleeding, it is unhurt.

This parrot is VERY young, and it must have fallen out of his nest. I know it is a long shot, but how do I keep this baby alive?

As soon as I got it I gave him a few drops of water then some apple and walnuts ground together with some water. I know that birds feed their chicks with regurgitated food, so I thought something watery would be best.

Right now he is is a shoe box with an old shirt and paper towel.

Not sure what kind of bird he is, he must be the only parrot that we have here, not sure what breed they are, but they look a lot like Quaker parrots.

Freedom
04-29-2008, 08:33 AM
I cross posted this in Pet General, and sent a PM to Argranade and to Genny, in case either of them can give some ideas.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Don't give him any more water! The best thing you can do is put him back in his nest if you know where it is, though it doesn't sound like you do. I'd take him to a vet or an animal rescue center if possible. He may have other injuries you can't see and he needs to be checked over. The vet can also direct you best what to feed him. You should be able to find a baby bird formula at a pet store. You can feed it to him with with a syringe. I wouldn't give him anymore apple or walnut or anything else until checking with someone first. Baby birds need to be fed VERY often, so it is important you get him baby bird formula as soon as possible. Or get him to a vet or rescue center.

jackie
04-29-2008, 02:00 PM
No idea where his nest is, like I said the neighbors cat brought him in. He is still alive, but now i look at him a bit more and I doubt he is a parrot. I thought maybe a pigeon, but then i googled baby pigeon photos and his beak is different.

I called the vet and they said there is no point bringing him in to them, just to feed him every two hours a mixture of gofio (toasted corn meal) and fruits. He has eaten three or four full syringes full of the mix and is passing stools regularly. He seems strong, but who knows. I just took some pics and if someone can help ID what kind of bird it is, that would be great.

jackie
04-29-2008, 02:15 PM
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/JackieMcHeffey/Birdy/DSCN0956.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/JackieMcHeffey/Birdy/DSCN0959-1.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/JackieMcHeffey/Birdy/DSCN0960.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/JackieMcHeffey/Birdy/DSCN0961.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/JackieMcHeffey/Birdy/DSCN0962.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/JackieMcHeffey/Birdy/DSCN0964.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/JackieMcHeffey/Birdy/DSCN0959.jpg

Karen
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Oh, bless you for helping this wee birdy! I hope he continues to thrive!

Muddy4paws
04-29-2008, 02:38 PM
wow, I really cant help at all. Maybe phone local vets or rescues?

They really are tiny! Good luck with him, Hope they he through

Genny
04-29-2008, 09:25 PM
I haven't ever been that great at looking at baby birds to see what kind they are but last year I found a baby bird in the middle of the road and brought her home. She wasn't as young as your baby though this one had feathers....I fed her worms...and she at them like crazy!!!! Mayb e try giving your baby some and see if it likes them..cause normally that's what the mother is going to feed it...bugs and stuff like that ;) good luck with it though

Twisterdog
04-30-2008, 12:35 AM
Wow, that's a YOUNG bird. I've never raised one that young before.

What, and how, you feed a baby bird is VERY dependent on the species of bird.

For example, I have raised a lot of baby pigeons. They pretty much drink formula from a bottle, much like a mammal would. They thrive on commerical parrot hand-rearing formula, and are quite hardy and easy to keep.

I have raised several starlings. Starlings are primarily insectivores, so their diets consist of mostly protien. Baby starlings are easily raised on soaked dog food, placed in the back on their mouths with tweezers.

Trying to feed a pigeons diet to a starling, or visa versa, would surely kill them. Just as cats are carnivores and horses are herbivores ... some birds eat strictly fruit, some seeds, some insects. It's very important to know what type of bird you have. Worms aren't really a good idea for a lot of species of bird. While some birds, like robins, sometimes eat earthworms, it is not their primary diet. Feeding an earthworm to most baby birds would be like trying to feed a human baby a T-bone steak.

Just by looking at his feathers which are starting to come in, could he perhaps be a bluebird?

I would really look for a licensed wildlife rehabber, who can identify the bird for you.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Definitely not a parrot or a pigeon. He is extremely young and until he has some more feathers he will be hard to identify. I'm sure you have a lot of birds there that we don't have here. I'd add a little calcium to that mix. Some birds develop splay leg without the addition of calcium in their diet. I still suggest that you get him to a wildlife rescue center, his best chance is with someone who can better i/d him and either raise him or better direct you.

Good luck!

Medusa
04-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Oh goodness, how tiny! All I can offer are my prayers.....

moosmom
04-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Twisterdog,

Much to colorful to be a pigeon. I'm thinking either a bluebird or a baby robin. The beak is not your typical parrot beak.

Anyway to call the Department of Agriculture for help??

lizbud
04-30-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't know the breed at all but it looks way to young to be out of the nest. I'd try again to find the nest & put it back. The cat might have
knocked the nest out of a tree or bush. I hope you can help him/her.

sirrahved
04-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Oh my, that's a tiny baby! Good luck to you!

Jessika
04-30-2008, 05:11 PM
The only advice I can give is PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be very careful about feeding and keeping him warm, etc. Baby birds are very fragile and VERY prone to stress, so keep him in a QUIET place away from any animals and a no-traffic area of your house, such as a bedroom closet.

I recently found a baby bird, much older than the one you have appears, and he was doing fine... but just very suddenly passed away without any warning. He was eating and drinking fine, too, so I'm not sure what happened. The morning that he died actually he was so active, he was hopping out of his box and trying to fly around our closet!!! So I'm not sure, they are just so peculiar so please take extra caution and care!

There are a few bird forums I found when I had my bird via googling, perhaps you can join one of those to ask questions? They may be much more knowledgeable in IDing him and giving you tips on how/what to feed, etc.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Husky_mom
04-30-2008, 05:36 PM
sorry I´m not a greater help...

his crop (neck: food storing area) seems empty... and a baby bird (at least Cockatiels and budgies) seem to have a "bulge" when fed....

also juts getting pin feathers (those lil spkikey things, which will bloom into feathers) should mean he´s about 10 days old or so because he hasn´t opened his eyes yet....

yo can try formula from a pet store or even pellets mashed up (zupreem, roudybush or whatever yo can find)... and a vet or avian vet is way better

you can try here at tailfeathersnetwork dot com slash community... its an all bird site and people might help more as they are 100 into birds and might also recognize what kind he is... from what I see he´s not a parrot or a pigeon... but he´s big to be a small bird (for his age)... a baby tiel sized he is in comparision maybe even bigger if he´s around 10 days

NOTE: I´m not sayng anyone here wouldn´t be helpful... just that there are tons more people birdwise and ASAP help is what she needs

jackie
05-01-2008, 03:17 AM
My neighbor took him over to a bird enthusiasts house yesterday afternoon.

He has heat lamps and all things which will give the chick a better shot.

Fingers crossed this little one makes it.

Medusa
05-01-2008, 06:48 AM
Absolutely! Prayers are continuing for this little guy.....

Argranade
05-01-2008, 08:42 AM
I'm sorry I have not been on,

Glad the bird is in good care now.

It could be anything from a grackle to a starling, only time will let you know.

If you can here is a recipe for the baby bird that you can give to the bird enthusiast.

I know we are not certain it's a starling but this will do very well.

It's from online.

Hand feeding Mixture.

Recipe: Handfeeding Mixture

1 cup soaked dog/cat food
1/4 cup of applesauce
1 hard boiled egg
Avian vitamins (follow dosage on package)
Around 750 mg calcium (I use Tums Smooth Dissolve tablet) ground to powder and dissolved in a little water.
Water

Mix all ingredients together, and add enough water to make it the consistency of cooked oatmeal. The above formula can be divided into portions and frozen. This formula works well for baby House Sparrows and some other passerines. Only leave this food at room temperatures for an hour or so, as it can spoil.

Handfeeding How-to's

When feeding small babies, use something flat such as McDonald's coffee stirrers, chop sticks, popsicle sticks, or a straw with the end cut off to make a scoop. The handle of a plastic spoon works well for older birds. Caution: Do not use small items such as toothpicks or Q-Tips, as it is very easy for a baby to swallow them.

I like to occasionally add small amounts of different foods to the formula to acquaint them with how different foods taste (foods such as some mashed sweet potatoes or carrots). You may use any of the jars of baby foods such as peas, beans, sweet potatoes, etc., and the jars of strained chicken are also appropriate. If adding baby food, add only a small amount of it to the handfeeding recipe above, and remember that baby food is not a necessity but is optional.

A baby starling's food should be fed at room temperature. A baby without feathers will need to be fed every 20 to 30 minutes over a period of at least 12 hours a day. A healthy baby should start begging for food after you have fed him a few times. To help get a feeding response try tapping on the container he is in, or tapping lightly on the top of his beak. Older babies will take longer to start gaping, and may need to be force fed a few times before they come to accept you as a source for food. I feed from the time I wake up until I go to bed. Babies starting to feather need to be fed every 45 minutes or so, and a fully feathered baby can
go an hour or two without feeding. Feed as much as the baby wants. You will not overfeed him, as he will stop begging for food when he is full.

Never give a baby bird earthworms or fishing worms! Such worms can carry parasites that are harmful to baby birds.

IRescue452
05-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I think pigeons are fuzzier at hatching. If it is a starling here is a good website http://www.starlingtalk.com/babycare.htm I don't know if this baby is quite ugly enough to look like a starling and I don't know if you have those where you live.

moosmom
05-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Jackie,

Did the neighbor's friend give any indication as to what kind of bird it might be???