PDA

View Full Version : Cat Grinding Teeth only when Touching Her Mouth

Anikaca77
04-28-2008, 07:45 PM
My little FeFe I think has been having teeth issues.

My husband brought this to my attention when you scratch the sides of her mouth she'll click her jaw really hard and grind her teeth it sounds like.

Just tonight I found her chewing on this desk that we have our turtle tank on...it's semi-soft wood but she was over there so I told her no and even had to yell a little at my baby which I never do and I felt horrible afterwards and then it occurred to me that maybe she was doing it because of her gums or something.

There is another side table that I have that has been chewed and I think it must of been her doing that.

Any suggestions if your cats have done this or anything similar.

Otherwise, Fiona seems very healthy, eats, plays, and has a ton of energy.

Thanks,
Melissa

Laura's Babies
04-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Has the vet checked her teeth/gums? If not I think a visit is in order. Something could be hurting her and she is trying to tell you that.

Medusa
04-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Funny you mentioned this. Just yesterday I observed my Specs grinding his teeth and I picked him up and he had a looooong clump of hair in his mouth, probably from cleaning himself, and he was trying like crazy to get it out and couldn't. Try checking inside her mouth to see what you can find.

catmandu
04-29-2008, 09:47 AM
THATS ONE THING THAT THE FOUND CATS HAVE NEVER DONE!!
A GOOD LOOK INSIDE FE FES MOUTH WOULD CERTAINLY NOT HURT MY VET RECOMMENDS THAT I DO THAT ON A MONTHLY BASIS.
I AGREE BUT THE FOUND CATS DIFFER IN THAT ASSESSMENT.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20angels/cats1012214.jpg

Anikaca77
04-29-2008, 12:32 PM
I scheduled a vet appointment for Fiona for 11 a.m. tomorrow. I just hope its nothing serious.

Anikaca77
04-30-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm going to be leaving work soon to go get FeFe and take her to the vets.

I'm just so worried that I'm going to have a huge vet bill, but I'll do what it takes for my FeFe.

It's probably something she's had since birth I hope.

We'll see.

Melissa

kimlovescats
04-30-2008, 09:42 AM
I could swear that I've already answered this same post a few weeks ago! LOL!

Anyway, one of my kitties does that but only when we rub on one side of his face. It's almost as if he is "ticklish" there. His mouth looks fine inside and he doesn't seem to have any pain at any other time.

Good luck at the vet, I hope it's nothing serious! ;)

Anikaca77
04-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Kimlovescats.......I think you did but I didn't make it's own thread for it.

I'm back from the vets, Fiona was a trooper. She did very well. She was given pain meds just one dose, and she is put on antibiotic for the next 5 days.

So we'll see hopefully this will help, the vet said she has gingivitis and that her gums are attacking her teeth (I think that's how she put it) anyway so after this treatment we'll wait 3 more months and do another does of this antibiotic.

I'm hoping this will ease her pain.

Melissa

kimlovescats
04-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Poor girl, I'm sorry her gums are hurting her! These mouth problems with all these kitties. Too bad we can't find a better way to keep their teeth and gums clean!

I hope Fiona's mouth will clear up quickly with the antibiotic.

Anikaca77
05-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Well Fiona started chewing again on my wood coffee table and plastic hanger, so I'm going to be calling the vets to see what she needs now.

Poor girl.

Melissa

Pawsitive Thinking
05-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Don't want to worry you but when my Cally started doing that investigations found out it was cancer.

Get your puss checked out as soon as you can would be my advice

Anikaca77
05-12-2008, 02:38 PM
I hope it's not that...I called the vets so now I'm just waiting to hear back from the vets. Hopefully I will soon. I just realized that I don't have a picture of Fiona listed so I'm going to have to post some of her.

Melissa

Laura's Babies
05-12-2008, 03:29 PM
She is so lovely!! Keep us posted on what the vet says..

Anikaca77
05-13-2008, 09:10 AM
I finally got through to the vet this morning and she said she wants to put Fiona on more medicam (not sure if the spelling is correct) it's a pain med that will be given for a few days and then slowly wean her off to every other day and then every 3 days hopefully. She said she does not want to start Fiona on prednisone and I don't want to either especially since Fiona will be turning only 1 on the 21st.

The vet said sometimes it seems that the cats are allergic to their teeth. Just 2 weeks ago I had Fiona at the vets and she said that she has stomatitis and she has gingivitis. So hopefully this pain med will help.

Melissa