PDA

View Full Version : Now Shilo needs your prayers. WORRIED (*post 47*)

jenluckenbach
04-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Shilo is currently at the vet's, getting a chest x-ray.

He hasn't been eating right over the weekend. And he has been laying around MUCH more than usual.

I was assuming his mouth was hurting, because when he did try to eat, he recoiled and then stopped eating.

But the vet feels that his mouth looks good and has minimal to no pain there.

BUT!!! He has labored breathing. And I did notice him breathing rather rapidly over the weekend, and purring....not the contented purr....but the "I am in pain" purr. He is getting a chest x-ray.

The vet's office was quite busy today (I think they had am emergency that set them behind, this morning) so they kept Shilo and sent me home until later.

So here I sit......WORRYING......what could be wrong???

Laura's Babies
04-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Darn Jen! You have been having a really rough time with all the babies you have taken in lately. Please keep us posted on what is going on with him! Prayers are on their way for him.

momcat
04-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Of course Shilo will be in my prayers and you remain in mine. Hopefully your little sweetie will be fine in no time and whatever might be wrong can be easily and quickly resolved. Please let us know what the vet says?

kimlovescats
04-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Jen, I am so sorry! How old is Shilo? My first concern is always the darned FIP. I hope and pray it isn't that and that whatever it is can be easily remedied!

Hugs,
Kim

krazyaboutkatz
04-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Hopefully it's nothing serious. He'll remain in my thoughts and prayers.

jenluckenbach
04-28-2008, 12:51 PM
He's home. Nothing definite, but a possibility of a little congestion or possibly asthma. We are giving him some pain meds and some pred in hopes his breathing improves.

I am just glad they didn't tell me they saw a tumor or something! :eek:

I've got to watch him for the next couple of days for improvement.

orangemm
04-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Let's hope the meds work for Shiloh. Poor lil guy! You've had a prolonged string of bad luck lately, Jen. :( Maybe you need a couple of days off?

Give Shiloh some nice tender scritches from me and the boys....

(hugs)

kb2yjx
04-28-2008, 04:01 PM
WHEW Jen!!!! Prayers for Shilo!!! Will send a pm!!

catmandu
04-28-2008, 04:25 PM
We are so glad that there seems to be nothing seriuouly wrong with Shilo
and we hope that the meds that your Vet gave him while help restore his health.
The Found Ctas say you are an alert Cat Meeowmie to spot when one Cat is ill when you are surrounded by some many Furr Friends.
Good Work Aunt Jen. Well Done!!!!!

jazzcat
04-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Glad he's back home now. Hopefully it's just a little congestion and nothing more. Prayers on the way.

Freedom
04-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Come on, Shiloh, let this be a kitty cold and let the meds get this beat so you can get back to life as usual!

Medusa
04-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Good grief, you sure have had your share of catastrophes, Jen! I'm glad that nothing scary was found, so we'll pray that Shiloh gets his breathing calmed down and that nothing serious will be found.

Catty1
04-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Dear Shilo...hope you are feeling better and getting good deep breaths of air really soon! HUGS!

phesina
04-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Prayers for both Shiloh and Jen as they recuperate!

jenluckenbach
04-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Well, I thought Shilo was feeling a lot better this evening. he was up, and moving about. he acted like he was hungry. He even followed me upstairs to the room the cats eat in............BUT............he collapsed at the top of the stairs. Like he just couldn't go on. :(

I picked him up and brought him to his spot in the room, I figured that he would eat once he was there........but he didn't. :(

One thing, the pred. really should perk up his appetite. So maybe tomorrow morning he'll be ready to eat.

jazzcat
04-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Oh no, seeing him collapse would really scare me. Gentle kisses for sweet Shilo and (((HUGS))) for you Jen.

AbbyMom
04-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Prayers and warm thoughts on the way for Shilo. Come on kitty, eat!

Laura's Babies
04-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh no, seeing him collapse would really scare me. Gentle kisses for sweet Shilo and (((HUGS))) for you Jen.

Same from me Jen! Still sending prayers for the meds to kick in and make him all better. Poor baby!

Reachoutrescue
04-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Dear Shilo...please feel better!! You got to eat buddy!! We all love you and want you to get well. Jen...you poor dear...I am so sorry your kits are having so many problems. I pray Shilo gets better and all goes well for the rest. Please give Shilo a head scritchy for me....

kimlovescats
04-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Poor guy, I sure wish the vet had figured out what's going on with him! :confused: Hopefully the pred will get him eating tomorrow and he'll gain some strength back!

Catty1
04-28-2008, 11:57 PM
Dear Shilo...Jen, I am sure you are right, that the pred will perk up his appetite, and he can get some energy back once he starts eating again.

{{{{hugs}}}} to you both!

krazyaboutkatz
04-29-2008, 01:44 AM
Jen, I'm sorry that Shilo is not doing well and that he still won't eat.:( Hopefully he'll start doing better tomorrow. He remains in my thoughts and prayers.

jennielynn1970
04-29-2008, 05:53 AM
Hope Shilo is doing better this AM. That would really scare me with the collapsing!

jenluckenbach
04-29-2008, 06:35 AM
Still not eating. Maybe a small amount, but not much. Acting sort of OK, but did not sleep on bed at all last night which is VERY odd for him.

kimlovescats
04-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Jen, what tests did your vet do? I know you mentioned chest x-rays? What else? This is so baffling to me, and I'm sure it is to you (of course)! :confused:

kb2yjx
04-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Had this when Norton(16) had a bad URI. He cannot smell anything!!!So he will not eat....He might be able to smell chicken/turkey baby food!!! How scary to have him collapse!!!

jenluckenbach
04-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Still not eating.

I am instructed to update the vet tomorrow, so he has another chance to eat before then. At that time we will see what step to take next.

He is not congested in the nose, so I doubt that is discouraging him from eating. the vet thought the x-ray showed a bit of congestion around the heart.

He is limping a little tonight, also.

Tomorrow is another day. :confused:

Catty1
04-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Are you force-feeding him a bit? Sub q's?

Poor Shilo, and poor you.

PT Prayers for you both.

Medusa
04-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Guess we gotta pump up the volume on the prayers.....

kimlovescats
04-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Jen, is it his back leg? Can you feel it to see if it feels cold compared to the others?

This is why I ask:

What is Feline Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy?:
More easily referred to as HCM, this disease is a thickening of the heart muscle, and is believed to be largely genetic in origin, with several breeds considered suspect. It is found most often in middle-aged cats, and in males. Although there is no known cure for this condition, with prompt diagnosis and early treatment, cats may live on for years after diagnosis. HCM is often associated with Hyperthyroidism in cats. Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)sometimes results from HCM.
What are the Symptoms of HCM?:
Unfortunately, one of the first symptoms may be heart failure and death, an important reason why cats with any of the "at-risk" diseases should be monitored carefully for heart health. Other symptoms include:
Sudden appearance of dyspnea (difficulty breathing)
Anorexia
Lethargy and/or weakness
Syncope (fainting)
Limb paralysis (rear legs may be affected)
Clinical symptoms include a heart murmur or a pulse over 200. Further tests would

rg_girlca
04-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts on the way for dear Shilo and MAJOR prayers for you Jen, that this terrible time for you will end very soon.

{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

Emeraldgreen
04-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Jen, Catty1 told me that Shilo had a tumor removed. I wanted to pass along that I have been giving Tiger 3 caps a day of Transfer Factor (http://www.4life.com/transferfactor.aspx), an immune boosting supplement that really seems to be helping him since his third tumor removal.
I contacted a woman named Bethany who had a cat with a nasal tumor (squamous cell carcinoma-the same as Tiger). Her cat was doing so poorly that she brought her to the vet to be put down but at the last minute, she just couldn't go through with it. She found out about Transfer Factor and started giving it to her cat. She chose to give the kind meant for humans in order to give her cat a strong dose. For 2-3 months she gave about 4 caps per day and then tapered it off to 3 caps a week. This was 2 years ago and her cat is doing really well she said.
I'm hoping that it will help Tiger and perhaps it might be something that could help Shilo? If you want any more info on it, just let me know.

jenluckenbach
04-30-2008, 05:28 AM
Rutherford had the tumor removed. Shilo has no teeth because of stomatitis.

I think I am going to go feel his legs. And then feed the cats and see how he does.

ChrisH
04-30-2008, 06:54 AM
Oh, Jen, I'm so sorry to hear Shilo is sick. :( Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

Emeraldgreen
04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Rutherford had the tumor removed. Shilo has no teeth because of stomatitis.

I think I am going to go feel his legs. And then feed the cats and see how he does.

Sorry, I was given the wrong name in a PM sent to me.
Anyway, the Transfer Factor would certainly be helpful for Rutherford.
Hope Shilo gets better soon.

GILL
04-30-2008, 11:26 AM
I am so sorry too hear. all our prayers are with you and Shilo.

kimlovescats
04-30-2008, 01:36 PM
I think I am going to go feel his legs.

Jen, I forgot to add that the "coldness" could mean a possible blood clot, which is very painful and needs to be dealt with ASAP. Are you totally confident in this vet? If not ... please find another one!

HUGS and prayers!
Kim

jenluckenbach
04-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Sorry for the delay in updating....had to go to work.

No coldness in the legs.

Still not eating. Licks a little but that's it.

We might go for an ultrasound, but I am not sure it is in the budget. :( We'll probably do blood work, too (I just need to ask the vet if he HAD blood work done before his last dental.)

I do trust the vet, and the other vet at the clinic. I doubt I'd NEED a second opinion (or actually a 3rd), but it is always a possibility if need be.

Tonight I am going to try to tempt him with some REAL food. LOL

kb2yjx
04-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Jen, we all know that Shilo could not be in better hands - YOURS!!!!!!! Prayers heading out to Shilo and you, too!!!

jenluckenbach
04-30-2008, 07:29 PM
He ATE tonight. I feed him canned food because of his lack of teeth. Tonight, I placed canned SALMON on top! Irresistable, I guess. :rolleyes:

Catty1
04-30-2008, 08:00 PM
I guess BraveHeart told him to hold out for the human food! :D

Great news!

jenluckenbach
04-30-2008, 08:10 PM
I guess BraveHeart told him to hold out for the human food! :D

Great news!
Maybe :p But BraveHeart was less than interested in his salmon today. He's more of a junk food junkie ;).

jenluckenbach
05-01-2008, 05:50 AM
not even the salmon could tempt him this morning. he just lays there.

Medusa
05-01-2008, 06:28 AM
This is so frustrating; one step forward, two steps back. I sure hope Shilo snaps out of this soon and feels better.

catnapper
05-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Jen I am SO SORRY! I have been terribly out of the loop with everything in my own life -- I missed this! Many prayers for your dear beloved Shilo. (((HUGS)))) for you and Charlie.

kb2yjx
05-01-2008, 09:55 AM
This is so CAT!!! They get our hopes us and then zam, they go back to their old ways!! Have you tried baby food? Or is it time to order pizza??? Hope BraveHeart starts eating again!!!

jenluckenbach
05-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Shilo went back to the vet for blood work (results tomorrow) and they weighed him and listened to his chest again.

He lost a couple more ounces (in 3 days...of not eating) but the worse news is the vet hears a heart murmur that was not there even 3 days ago. A grade 4 (on a scale of 1 to 6).

He is now going on different medication: Lasix and Enalapril

The ultrasound is on hold because it is now thought to be HEART related, so the ultrasound would show nothing.

My poor special boy! :(

jennielynn1970
05-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Oh my goodness! Poor Shiloh! I hope the new meds work and he gets better. he's such a sweet boy. Many gentle hugs and kisses for Shiloh!

kimlovescats
05-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Jen, is it his back leg? Can you feel it to see if it feels cold compared to the others?

This is why I ask:

What is Feline Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy?:
More easily referred to as HCM, this disease is a thickening of the heart muscle, and is believed to be largely genetic in origin, with several breeds considered suspect. It is found most often in middle-aged cats, and in males. Although there is no known cure for this condition, with prompt diagnosis and early treatment, cats may live on for years after diagnosis. HCM is often associated with Hyperthyroidism in cats. Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)sometimes results from HCM.
What are the Symptoms of HCM?:
Unfortunately, one of the first symptoms may be heart failure and death, an important reason why cats with any of the "at-risk" diseases should be monitored carefully for heart health. Other symptoms include:
Sudden appearance of dyspnea (difficulty breathing)
Anorexia
Lethargy and/or weakness
Syncope (fainting)
Clinical symptoms include a heart murmur or a pulse over 200. Further tests would

Jen, it's looking more like my fear! :( I pray it isn't!!!

kb2yjx
05-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Jen!! That poor boy!! Maybe they should do a cardiac ultrasound. Prayers that the meds help!!

Medusa
05-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Goodness, this poor boy has had his share of troubles! I'll light a special candle for him tonight. ((Hugs)) to you, Shilo and Jen.

Moesha
05-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Oh dear! Hoping for good news to come from this. You have sure had more than you share of sadness lately.

Catty1
05-01-2008, 06:17 PM
HUGS! Dear Shilo - major PT Prayers coming your way.

I hope whatever it is is treatable....

jenluckenbach
05-01-2008, 06:29 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: He's been limping on his rear legs. :( :(

jazzcat
05-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Oh no, not the update I had hoped.

Lots of prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

kb2yjx
05-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Has Shilo ever been checked for diabetes??? Eons ago, I read that that can cause a cat to limp. MEGA PRAYERS!!!!(I cannot but help and think about the pelvic clots from the heart condition!)......

jenluckenbach
05-01-2008, 07:47 PM
His test results due tomorrow will hopefully tell us what is going on.

Shilo is to do this medicine combination 1 day to see if there is improvement. his update AND the blood test results will determine in what direction we need to go. The vet mentioned a possble need for a portion of a baby aspirin due to the risk of blood clots.....but needed to wait for the test results.

Anikaca77
05-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Poor Shilo

My prays are being sent double time.

kimlovescats
05-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Jen, the blood clot issue is why I asked about the back leg and seeing if it felt cold to the touch. That would signal a blood clot and the obstrucion of blood flow.

Prayers coming for you and Shilo!

HUGS,
Kim

orangemm
05-02-2008, 04:30 AM
More hugs and prayers for Shiloh!

Poor Jen, this is not a very good time for you............ :(

jenluckenbach
05-02-2008, 05:51 AM
As of 3 AM this morning I was well aware that Shilo felt better. He climbed into bed, started nuzzling me with his nose and paw-pawing on my neck.

So the good news is the medication is working but the bad news is it MUST be his heart that is failing. :( And that breaks my own heart into a million pieces.

Late tonight, I will speak to the vet who will have the blood test results and instructions on what to do next.

PRAYERS for sweet Shilo.

Moesha
05-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Hugs for you and Shilo as well. It just doesn't seem fair does it?

ChrisH
05-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Extra prayers on the way.

GILL
05-02-2008, 10:24 AM
I am so sorry Jen. You know you and Shilo have all the prayers of the Crew.

Kirsten
05-02-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm so sorry, Jen! This reminds me a lot of what my Katz was going through. Let's hope that Shilo will be better responding to the meds than she did...

Best wishes for him are on the way...

(((HUGS)))
Kirsten

Taz_Zoee
05-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Jen, you and Shilo will be in my thoughts.

Reachoutrescue
05-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Oh, poor poor Shilo! I pray your heart is okay and you can live a long, happy, healthy life. You are in good hands and very loved. We are all rooting for you to recover from what ever it is that ails you! Please get well sweet boy.

kb2yjx
05-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Shilo, I will just send prayers....

phesina
05-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Prayers for Shiloh and for Jen and her whole family.

jennielynn1970
05-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Oh Jen, I hope that his heart is ok, I know how much you love this guy. He's such a sweetheart too! I hope that the news is better than expected, and that he can make a full recovery!

Big hugs to you all!

jenluckenbach
05-02-2008, 07:36 PM
The blood work results were good. And since the meds are working, we just keep giving them. The vet will listen to his heart in about 2 weeks.

He is (hopefully) eating right now, so I guess I'll found out soon enough how much he ate.

But he feels better, that I am sure. :D

kimlovescats
05-02-2008, 08:23 PM
That's encouraging news, Jen! Maybe if it is his heart, then you caught it early enough along to treat it! ;)

jenluckenbach
05-02-2008, 08:32 PM
That's encouraging news, Jen! Maybe if it is his heart, then you caught it early enough along to treat it! ;)
This is what I hope!

He did eat tonight, not the full amount, but enough to be encourging.

Catty1
05-02-2008, 08:55 PM
HUGS! Keep eating dear Shilo - I am so glad his levels were good, Jen! :D

kb2yjx
05-03-2008, 09:07 AM
The Clan is happy to hear that Shilo ate something!!! YEA!!!

catfamily
05-03-2008, 09:18 AM
i am so sorry i got to this so late.prayers are on the way to your Dear Shilo.
this is so sad knowing her heart may be going.
but knowing the meds are helping tremendously is great news.
i'm so srry for your pain to jen:(

jazzcat
05-03-2008, 11:34 AM
That's a good update. Glad to hear the meds are helping, the blood tests were good and he is eating.

phesina
05-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Well done, Shiloh!

krazyaboutkatz
05-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Jen, I'm glad to hear that he's feeling better and starting to eat again.:) Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.