PDA

View Full Version : I could use your prayers, please. *Update 5/27*

Medusa
04-28-2008, 06:30 AM
I have an appointment w/my surgeon this afternoon at 2:20. I've had two bone grafts done in my jaw already and now I'm spitting blood so that means I have another infection. I really don't want to have another bone graft done. It isn't that painful, it's outpatient surgery but I have to impose on a friend to take me and bring me home and the dr. always insists that someone stay the night w/me. And to add insult to injury, my insurance company refuses to pay for it because they consider it elective surgery, so it comes out of my pocket. I'm having some serious home repair issues right now that I have to pay for and I truly do not need this. I'm not really in any pain right now, just discomfort; my gums are sore and it affects my sinuses and gives me headaches but nothing really dramatic. Could you please spare a prayer that my surgeon will be able to give me an antibiotic that will clear this up and spare me another bone graft?

jenluckenbach
04-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Many prayers that the infection can be controlled without surgery.

Freedom
04-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Prayers from RI for one of our Prayer Warriors!

moosmom
04-28-2008, 08:15 AM
You have all my prayers, girlfriend. If I could give you one of my bones, I would. If I lived closed, I'd be right there beside ya!

HUGS and prayers dear friend

Donna

Medusa
04-28-2008, 08:27 AM
You have all my prayers, girlfriend. If I could give you one of my bones, I would. If I lived closed, I'd be right there beside ya!

HUGS and prayers dear friend

Donna
Now there's an offer ya don't get every day. LOL It's frustrating because I had a procedure done a few years ago to enable my body to grow more bone and it was successful, so I'm not sure why I have this infection.

Thanx for your thoughts and prayers, everyone. I appreciate it.

Pawsitive Thinking
04-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Fingers, toes, paws and eyes crossed for you

gini
04-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Mary, of course you have my prayers. Please keep us posted.

Karen
04-28-2008, 11:00 AM
You'll be in our prayers!

davidpizzica
04-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Mary, you have a lot of Pittsburgh prayers coming your way that this can be taken care of without surgery.

Medusa
04-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Well, it's been a $500 day but if it keeps me from having surgery, it was worth it. My dr. took an x-ray and said that the infection appears to be in the gums only and not in the bone this time. So he gave me 3 injections of an antibiotic directly into my gums and an Rx for Clindamycin. I have to go back in two weeks for a followup. The injections didn't hurt but now my gums are sore and it feels like the antibiotic is in my ears. LOL I'm relieved, though, that the infection didn't originate in the bone or I'd probably be headed for surgery again. Hopefully, the Clindamycin will clear it up and that'll be the end of it. (Had I known he was going to prescribe that, I would've taken some of the fur posse's. ;) )

Thanx for the prayers and good thoughts, everyone, and I'll let you know the outcome in two weeks.

Karen
04-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Prayers that this will fix it up!

Catty1
04-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Fingers, paws and eyes crossed for ya! :D

phesina
04-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Dear Mary,
Prayers and songs and chants and dances and healing energies and good wishes for you that the Clindamycin will clear this up. All fingers, toes, paw pads, what-have-you crossed.

Love, hugs, and purrs,
Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and of course Priscilla Angel

Emeraldgreen
04-28-2008, 08:49 PM
That is a huge relief that there isn't an infection in the bone afterall. What a scare! Don't forget to eat lots of yogurt to help offset the stomach troubles antibiotics sometimes cause. Something about flora and the good bacteria. :confused:
Please keep us updated on your recovery! Prayers that all goes smoothly. :)

Medusa
04-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Don't forget to eat lots of yogurt to help offset the stomach troubles antibiotics sometimes cause. Something about flora and the good bacteria. :confused:

Yes, I eat yogurt for breakfast every morning anyhow, so maybe I'm ahead of the game. :)

carole
04-28-2008, 09:32 PM
I sure hope the pills work for you Mary, just wishing you all the best and positive results, take care, hugs and love from across the miles. :)

K9karen
04-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Oh Man..it's always summin'! I hope the antibiotics work..fingers crossed for you, Mary. {HUGS}

Catty1
04-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Mary - here's a tip I got from a dentist, and once suggested to a friend who had a nasty gum infection....

Brush your teeth gently with a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide (don't swallow the stuff), easy on the peroxide. :)

It will fizz, just like it would on a skin cut or something. The friend mentioned above said she could feel it pulling the infection out.

It's not a cure...but it sure might help.

HUGS.

gini
04-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Oh boy, Mary, let's hope you are soon posting that everything is back to being 100% perfect! I am so glad that you aren't looking at surgery.

krazyaboutkatz
04-29-2008, 01:16 AM
Mary, I'm so glad to hear that you didn't need surgery. I hope that you'll make a quick and full recovery. Please take care.

Medusa
04-29-2008, 06:51 AM
Mary - here's a tip I got from a dentist, and once suggested to a friend who had a nasty gum infection....

Brush your teeth gently with a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide (don't swallow the stuff), easy on the peroxide. :)

It will fizz, just like it would on a skin cut or something. The friend mentioned above said she could feel it pulling the infection out.

It's not a cure...but it sure might help.

HUGS.
My dr. told me not to use peroxide because I have some titanium implants and he feels it has a detrimental effect on them. I've used a prescription mouthwash twice a day for years. But thanx for the suggestion, Candace, I appreciate it. I just wish this antibiotic would start working. I had a restless night because my jaw was so sore from the treatment and I spit blood again this morning. Oh well, it could be worse. At least it isn't down in the bone.

jennielynn1970
04-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Oh my goodness.... anything involving teeth and gums would have me worried for sure! I'm glad the infection is not in the bone, but sorry you have to go through it at all!

I agree with Donna, if you needed any extra bone, or extra padding in any way, lol, I'd be there to help if I could. Wish I lived closer, I'd help in whatever way I could. You've been through a lot with your son in the last few months, and wish you didn't have to deal with this too.

Big hugs, and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Medusa
04-29-2008, 07:37 PM
I agree with Donna, if you needed any extra bone, or extra padding in any way, lol, I'd be there to help if I could.
Padding I got, unfortunately. LOL The last bone graft I underwent was successful and the procedure for stimulating new bone growth was successful, too, so I'm not sure why I have this infection other than I get so aggressive when cleaning my teeth that sometimes I cut my gums and, if bacteria gets in there, that's all she wrote. I'm hoping that tomorrow morning I won't taste blood when I first wake up.

Thanx so much for your encouragement and prayers, everyone. I appreciate it a lot and I know how powerful prayer is, especially PT prayer. We pray in earnest! :)

jenluckenbach
04-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Hope the stuff starts to work SOON!!!! ;)

Glad the news wasn't bad (to the bone) :rolleyes:

Medusa
04-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Glad the news wasn't bad (to the bone) :rolleyes:
Good one, Jen! ;)

Catty1
04-29-2008, 09:16 PM
ok...lol...good old salt water...that can help a few things too.

I hope you feel way better WAY soon! :)

Daisy and Delilah
04-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Thoughts and prayers coming your way right away, Mary. I'm just seeing this. You are so brave. This can't be very pleasant for you :(
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Medusa
05-01-2008, 06:37 AM
Thoughts and prayers coming your way right away, Mary. I'm just seeing this. You are so brave. This can't be very pleasant for you :(
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
Well, thank you for that but I don't know how brave I am. I gotta do what I gotta do. I just wish I'd wake up w/out blood in my mouth in the morning. I'd be more encouraged that the antibiotic is working. If this infection spreads to the bone, then it's surgery time again. It's just weird that it started in the gums; it started in the bone the last two times and, by the time I noticed bleeding in the gums, it was too late. I'm doing my best to stay positive and I'm saying my positive affirmations until I stutter. LOL

Daisy and Delilah
05-01-2008, 08:27 PM
{{{{{More Hugs}}}}}

kimlovescats
05-01-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm just now seeing this thread, Mary. I'm so sorry you are in pain and having to deal with this. I hope and pray that the antibiotics clear this up and quickly for you!

Medusa
05-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Thank you, Kim. I'm confident that the antibiotic will do its job but I sure do appreciate all the PT prayers as back up. No, actually, the antibiotic is the back up. I'll take the prayers any time! :)

phesina
05-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Our prayers continue to flow in your direction!

cassiesmom
05-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Fingers and paws crossed, and prayers said.

Medusa
05-02-2008, 08:40 PM
I feel as though I'm improving but I still wake up w/blood in my mouth every morning. I don't bleed when I eat or brush or floss or use the water pik, only when I first wake up. I go back to the dr. in a week and he may give me more injections of the antibiotic and maybe switch to another one. Erythromycin always worked before but he didn't want to give me the same one each time. (Yeah, why do what works. :confused: ) Thanx for the continued prayer, though, friends. I appreciate it a lot.

Kirsten
05-03-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm really sorry you have to deal with these things! Maybe you can tell them you want your old meds back when the new ones don't help?

Best wishes for your recovery are on the way!!

Kirsten

Medusa
05-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Tomorrow is my appt. w/my surgeon for the two week check up. My gums aren't as inflamed, which is good, but I still spit blood first thing in the morning. No pain, though, so maybe I'm ahead of the game. Now I'm afraid I'm getting another attack of shingles. I have only one tiny blister on my hip but that's how it started the last time and because I had never had them before, I didn't know what that funny feeling was. I thought something was rubbing against my waist, like threads in my jeans or something and, by the time I got home from work, I had an outbreak. Shingles are painful and I now have neuropathy from the first case. I sure don't need it again. Good grief, my body seems to be rebelling! So, when you're saying your prayers, please remember me.

gini
05-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Mary, I wish that I had a magic wand that I could wave at you and make every problem go away.

Since I don't have that wand - I will just send you some more prayers.

Catty1
05-11-2008, 07:49 PM
More prayers - for serenity and healing....:love:

jenluckenbach
05-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Mary, Always in my prayers. Good luck with the appointment.

moosmom
05-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Oh Mary, on top of everything you've been going through lately. You are always in my prayers sweet friend. If you need anything, please PM me.:love:

Medusa
05-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Mary, I wish that I had a magic wand that I could wave at you and make every problem go away.

Since I don't have that wand - I will just send you some more prayers.

Interesting that you should say that. One of my favorite books is Your Word Is Your Wand by Florence Scovel Shinn. The theme of the book, obviously, is that your words have power. I know how powerful words are, especially PT prayer, which is why I didn't hesitate for a minute to ask for yours, my friends. Just knowing that you'll be thinking of me will help me to sleep tonight.

My dr. is out and one of his associates, a new guy, is on call and I asked him if he could please fax in a Rx for Valtrex for shingles to my pharmacy because I couldn't go in to see my dr. for an appt. since I have to be in Beachwood and I can't be in two places at once. He actually yelled at me and said "You called me at night and inconvenienced me and my family dinner for a Rx that you could've called in tomorrow?" I explained why I was calling because the staff always insists that I go in for an appt. before I get a Rx and that I can't go in because I have another urgent appt. w/my surgeon tomorrow. I said "I know that you have to nip shingles in the bud, so if the Rx is waiting for me, I can pick it up at the pharmacy, then go to my appt. in Beachwood." He yelled again and said "Alright, I'll call it in. Give me the number." I did and said "Thank you" and he hung up on me! Honestly, why is it an inconvenience when you're on call if a patient actually calls? I'd rather not be inconvenienced w/shingles right now, that's for sure, but that's life. I'm going to talk to my dr. about it because it's his practice and this dr. is the new guy. He needs to learn some manners. Does he not understand that when we're sick, we're at our most vulnerable? I don't speak w/disrespect or yell at anyone ever and I find it so maddening when people speak that way to me. He's supposed to be a professional. Ah well, enough gritchin'. Gonna pack it in and snuggle up w/Ms. Puddy. :)

Emeraldgreen
05-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Hoping for good news at your appointment tomorrow with your surgeon.
I'm glad you will be getting your rx to start treatment for the shingles. Sounds like the associate doctor is a very unpleasant guy! I think you're right, you should mention it to your doctor. Maybe he has been treating alot of patients like this and maybe he thinks no one will speak up.

K9karen
05-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Shingles suck. My poor mom had them repeatedly when she got very ill. I had them once and didn't nip them in the bud 'cause I didn't know I had them until they dried up, and the pain started.

Tsk, tsk and shame on that doctor for yelling at you! I have to boast how lucky I've been with my docs. I've never, ever been yelled at. I had to call my ortho surgeon's answering service right before I was scheduled to pop into an MRI because the tech couldn't understand his abbreviations. My own doc called me within minutes (at 7am on a Saturday!). I know he had been to a concert the night before too, 'cause he had mentioned it. He was as sweet as always. He once told me there was no reason for ANY doctor to feel above anyone else because they take an oath to help and heal. Want his name???:D

Sorry for the "me" story. I hope you feel better,Mary. My mom always got shingles on her hips too. The neuropathy stinks. Prayers that you feel better and that your doc appt goes well.

Are you going to mention the back up doctor's attitude to your doctor? I would. It's your body and your money. It was YOUR fault he was on call, huh? :rolleyes:

rosethecopycat
05-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Prayers for your appointment. :love:

krazyaboutkatz
05-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Mary, I'm sorry to hear this. You'll remain in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care.

Karen
05-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Prayers that things go well. I would speak to your doc about "the new kid" but also understand said "new kid" may have been feeling a little ovewhelmed. If he ever does it again, then I'd make a written complaint.

Years ago I had to get a new allergist, as my old, sniffly Doc had retired. He passed me over to his replacement, as me to set up an appointment to introduce myself to Doc. R, and I did. less than a week after that, I needed a prescription refill called in. I called Doc R's office, and he called back to say "Do I know you?" in a rude tone of voice. I described myself, and told him I had just been in his office, and he conceded he did remember me after all.

I relayed this to my Primary Care physician, and she said, "What meds do you need? I'll prescribe them for you, you don't need to be treated like that." And I never had to see Doc R. again!

Medusa
05-12-2008, 07:01 AM
I even acknowledged to this dr. that I had thought about waiting until morning to call my regular dr. for a Rx but I know his staff. They always say "No, you need to come in for an appt. He won't prescribe anything w/out seeing you first" and then we'd go round and round about it. As I said, I have to see my surgeon today. He and my dentist work closely together and my surgeon goes out of the country a lot, usually to Japan, to teach. These appts. are golden and if I cancel, I don't know when I can get another one. So I thought I'd have the Rx waiting for me, I could pick it up, take one of the pills and get the meds started so that the shingles don't advance like they did last time. How inconvenient is it to press a few buttons on a fax? At least he didn't have to leave his home and go in to the hospital. I'm definitely going to mention it to my dr. but I'll be very selective w/my wording. I know how protective they are of each other. Thanx for your well wishes, friends. :)

Medusa
05-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Ok, just got home from my surgeon's office. I'm to complete round 2 of the antibiotic and go back in two weeks. He didn't give me any more injections of the antibiotic into my gums, so that's a good thing. He said that as long as I'm improving, he's not going to be concerned. If I had just maintained or gotten worse, then we might have a problem. The blood in my mouth in the morning is less than it was but I can't take a chance; I have to continue the antibiotic. I was concerned because I'm to start acylovir today for shingles so I talked to my pharmacist about possible drug interactions and she said that there wouldn't be a problem.

This sure has been an expensive month. First the surgeon, then the Valtrex costs $145 WITH insurance, so I asked if I could have samples from my dr.'s office but he didn't have enough so he prescribed acyclovir which is only $23.99 w/insurance. That I can handle. I like to keep a reserve on hand in case one of the Fur Posse should get sick. As it is, I was just about to have ceramic tile installed in my enclosed patio but, when I opened one of the windows to wash them, the entire outside frame fell apart. It appears that the previous owners had water damage and did a bandaid approach just to pass inspection. So, of course, where there's water, there are ants, so I had to call an exterminator and now I have to replace all the windows in the patio room. So what started out as a $1500 project has been bumped up to $8500. At least my surgeon didn't charge me for the checkup today, thank goodness. I think I'm going to get into my sweats and watch some TV.

Thanx for your prayers, though, friends. I'll let you know in two weeks how it turns out. :)

Oh, btw, my dr. actually called me and asked how I was doing and said that he has my pain meds ready for me for shingles if I wanted to stop in and pick up the Rx. So I explained the situation and told him that I also explained it to the other dr., whom I mistakenly thought is the new guy. He isn't. He's just part of the network. Anyhow, he said "He's a nice guy, well, a good guy. Did he give you a problem?" So, apparently, either that dr. told him what transpired or he has a reputation for being a hothead, so I told my dr. what happened and that he was very rude to me and my dr. was speechless. He finally just said "Oh my. Oh my. Oh...ok. Well, we'll get you fixed up. I want to be sure to take care of business."

RICHARD
05-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Some of the biggest AHs were the best doctors and some of the nicest ones were the biggest AHs when you worked with them closely.

Hope you never have to do that again.

Catty1
05-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Mary - regarding the bit of blood you still have - are you allowed to rinse with warm (not hot) salt water?

I know you have a particular condition - but salt water really helps with bleeding gums, etc., under normal circumstances.

Just a thought.

Medusa
05-13-2008, 06:25 AM
I can probably rinse w/warm salt water w/out a problem. It's just so puzzling because we can't figure out where the bleeding is coming from. When he presses hard on my gums, they don't bleed. He said that I might have some built up calculus on one of the implants and that may be causing the bleeding but he doesn't want me to have my teeth cleaned right now because it would be too painful and my dentist probably wouldn't want to clean them anyhow if I'm spitting blood. It's just so frustrating.

Medusa
05-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Things are lookin' up! The shingles are drying up pretty fast, too. Guess the meds are kicking in. :)

jenluckenbach
05-17-2008, 02:43 PM
:) :) :) Great news.

Karen
05-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Good to hear! Keep healing!

phesina
05-17-2008, 07:38 PM
That's great, Mary. Keep on getting better and better!

Medusa
05-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Had my dr. appt. today and I have to go back on Fri. No blood in my mouth when I first wake up but now I bleed when I brush. Sigh. Honestly. If you think of it, please add my name when you say your prayers.

Daisy and Delilah
05-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Mary, sorry I haven't posted lately. You have really been through it. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Feel better!!! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

jenluckenbach
05-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Of course we'll think of it.

I would still consider this an improvement, though.

So keep improving!!

phesina
05-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Prayers for you from all of us, Mary.

Love, hugs and purrs,
Pat and cats