PDA

View Full Version : 300-pound inmate complains Arkansas jail doesn't feed him well

Catty1
04-27-2008, 11:04 PM
And he filed this suit without a lawyer...the profession should douse him with thank-you cards...

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/080427/K042704AU.html

300-pound inmate complains Arkansas jail doesn't feed him well
Published: Sunday, April 27, 2008 | 7:07 PM ET
Canadian Press: THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BENTONVILLE, Ark. - An inmate awaiting trial on a murder charge is suing the county, complaining he has lost more than 100 pounds because of the jailhouse menu.

Broderick Laswell says he isn't happy that he's down to 308 pounds after eight months in the Benton County jail. He has filed a federal lawsuit complaining the jail doesn't provide inmates with enough food.

According to the suit, Laswell weighed 413 pounds when he was jailed in September. Police say he and a co-defendant fatally beat and stabbed a man, then set his home on fire.

"On several occasions I have started to do some exercising and my vision went blurry and I felt like I was going to pass out," Laswell wrote in his complaint. "About an hour after each meal my stomach starts to hurt and growl. I feel hungry again."

But Laswell then goes on to complain that he undertakes little vigorous activity.

"If we are in a small pod all day (and) do next to nothing for physical exercise, we should not lose weight," the suit says. "The only reason we lost weight in here is because we are literally being starved to death."

The suit also asks that the county be ordered to serve hot meals. The jail has served only cold food for years.

The meals, provided through Aramark Correctional Institution Services, average 3,000 calories a day, jail Capt. Hunter Petray told the Morning News of northwest Arkansas for a story Saturday.

A typical diet consists of 2,000 to 3,000 calories a day.

Laswell's suit was filed without a lawyer in U.S. District Court in Fayetteville.
© The Canadian Press, 2008

jackie
04-28-2008, 03:03 AM
He is in prison and should have no rights, let alone be able to complain about the food.

I wound how much is is going to cost the prison health care system (and taxpayers) when he has a heart attack from being so fat.

moosmom
04-28-2008, 03:08 AM
Where the **** does he think he is, Howard Johnsons??? :confused: :eek:

He's lucky he's not getting bread and water, or are in jail in a foreign country.

Jerk! :mad:

Medusa
04-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Where the **** does he think he is, Howard Johnsons??? :confused: :eek:

He's lucky he's not getting bread and water, or are in jail in a foreign country.

Jerk! :mad:
Too funny! Hmmm, that's a diet I've not tried yet, locking myself in a small pod aka "closet" w/no exercise. Wonder if the fur posse would leave me alone while I tried it.

Pawsitive Thinking
04-28-2008, 10:29 AM
aaaawwwww....diddums.....

Laura's Babies
04-28-2008, 03:56 PM
There is no way that jail could afford to "fill him up"!

I run into this problem every now and then with someone new on our crew. It takes massive amounts of food to maintain that kind of weight. The budget, refrigerator and freezer space could not hold enough food to fill them up. What it amounts to is that person has a serious problem with food and they expect the world to accommodate their appitite/problem.

If he wants to be able to eat what he wants, as much as he wants whenever he wants, he should have made SURE, no one else would ever be in control of his life and have a J-O-B that would afford him to continue his massive eating habits.

I have never understood how they feel like it is the worlds responsiability to accommodate those kinds of eating habits. :rolleyes:

Catty1
04-28-2008, 07:02 PM
I think he is just pure bad attitude. ;) And sick. I mean - he is unhappy about the weight he is losing??? ROFL!!!!

Medusa
04-28-2008, 09:05 PM
I doubt that. If he did get enough exercise every day in order to lose weight, he'd probably still be angry. The man just wants his inordinate amount of food.

Reachoutrescue
04-28-2008, 09:24 PM
That is so unreal!! He murdered somebody and burned down their house!! He should be hung....not having a lawsuit!! What is wrong with the world today!!! He kills somebody then thinks he should have rights??? What a waste of air!!!

Catty1
04-29-2008, 12:10 AM
I think the smartest thing he did was to NOT use a lawyer to file this suit. He probably asked a few, though...would have loved to be a fly on the wall to hear THOSE discussions! :eek:

A murderer complaining about not being fed...this guy just SO does not get it...

moosmom
04-29-2008, 02:54 PM
And he filed this suit without a lawyer

He who represents himself in court has a FOOL for a client. I rest my case.

phesina
04-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Such cheek!

Catty1
04-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Such cheek!

TWO of them, at that! You can't miss them, they're easy to see! :D

jennielynn1970
04-29-2008, 05:23 PM
I bet he could actually win against them... saying that they are jeopardizing his health. He's probably diabetic or something and doesn't even know it.

He should be glad he's losing weight, it's better for him. Can't say I'd like the cold meals, but he's in freaking jail, not a hotel.

Gotta love all the perks they get in jail. Free college education, free room and board. It's pretty disgusting.

shepgirl
04-29-2008, 06:52 PM
That was the funniest thing I've read all day. But to tell the truth, prisonners seem to have all the rights today.
let us know if they give him double portions ------lol.

phesina
04-29-2008, 08:19 PM
TWO of them, at that! You can't miss them, they're easy to see! :D

300-pounders, you sure can't miss them!

Marigold2
04-29-2008, 08:40 PM
LOL I needed a good laugh and this lard butt gave it to me.
That was the funniest thing I've read all day. But to tell the truth, prisonners seem to have all the rights today.
let us know if they give him double portions ------lol.

RICHARD
04-30-2008, 12:33 AM
LOLOLOL,

Look out Jared....The Subway diet is on it's way out!