PDA

View Full Version : I failed fostering...

emily_the_spoiled
04-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Okay, I have always known that I would not be very good at doing short-term fostering for animal shelters because I would want to keep all of them (that is why I only foster for the military).

Well Melissa (dolittleky) found this adorable kitten on petfinder.com at the Frederick County Animal Shelter. It turns out that they will not adopt to people out of the state of Maryland. Since they are only about 20 miles from me Melissa asked if I could help her and adopt the kitten, then we could arrange transport down to where she lives. I thought that I could do it, Emily (my name sake) had just passed over to the RB on Feb 4th and my uncle was diagnosed with terminal cancer on Feb 5th, so I was NOT looking to add to my posse :rolleyes: yeah right :rolleyes:

I picked up the kitten (Chrissy) but it took us almost two months before we could arrange a transport. In the mean time I had managed to fall in love with her (even though I swore I wouldn't). When the time came for the transport I confessed to Melissa what I was feeling and asked if it would be possible for me to keep her. Knowing that if Melissa said no, I would give her up. But with her very large heart, Melissa said yes with the caveat that if something ever changed she would get Chrissy. I agreed to that and I promised that I would get some pictures.

I will be the first to admit that I am not good at taking photos and I don't usually post many, but I finally got my butt in gear and got everything uploaded.

So I would like to introduce Chrissy to the world of PT..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/cfahlman/ChrissyMarch23-08I.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/cfahlman/ChrissyApril27-08I.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/cfahlman/ChrissyApril27-08II.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/cfahlman/ChrissyApril27-08IV.jpg

emily_the_spoiled
04-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Here are a couple more closeup photos of her...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/cfahlman/ChrissyApril27-08III.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/cfahlman/ChrissyApril27-08V.jpg

Moesha
04-27-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm so happy to read that Chrissy has worked her way into your heart. May she help you heal as you contine to deal with the loss of your sweet Emily and the other events going on in your life. Does she have a problem with one of her eyes or is just the angle of the pictures?

Killearn Kitties
04-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Chrissy is gorgeous! Congratulations on your new and beautiful baby. Will there be more pictures from you now? :D
I'm so sorry about Emily and your uncle though.

Taz_Zoee
04-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Oh my! She is adorable!! Is she missing one eye and blind in the other? That's just my guess. Either way, it doesn't matter, because she is just too cute!!! I'm glad you failed fostering (sorry Melissa, lol). I'm sure Chrissy will bring you lots of joy for years to come. :)

catmandu
04-27-2008, 03:43 PM
WELL WITH THAT SWEET LITTLE FACE, ITS NO WONDER THAT YOU FAILED FOSTERING WITH CHRISSY.
SHES SUCH A SWEET HEART , I BET YOU THAT MOST PET TALKERS WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO LOOK AT CHRISSY AND NOT TAKE HER HOME.
I KNOW SHE WOULD HAVE HER NOSE IN HERE SOMEWHERES.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20angels/cats1012206.jpg
THEY WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A CUTE NEW CAT HERE.

Anikaca77
04-27-2008, 03:45 PM
WELCOME CHRISSY I'm so glad you are safe and you look so happy in your new home!!

Congrats!!

moosmom
04-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Emily the Spoiled,

Welcome to the Official Foster Failure Club. It's an honor, believe me. Every single one of my cats are and were fosters. Except for Mollie Rose who was my very first cat, long before I knew anything about cats. What a lesson!!!

As an OFF, you have earned your "wings" by going out of your way to help these precious babies. Congratulations!! It's hard, but someone has to do it.

emily_the_spoiled
04-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks everyone, she is an absolute sweetheart (she even waits for me to finish my shower and then hops in the tub to be the first cat to "mark" me after my shower ... while I am still wet).

Yes, she had lost one eye and only has light sensitivity in the other eye. These were congential so she has no idea what she is "missing". But I already have another blind cat (Ptolemy), so my house is set up for blind cats (i.e. they can climb to most things versus having to jump up).

doolittleky
04-27-2008, 04:12 PM
See, you CAN take good pics! So now that I know that You will have to keep them coming! :D Chrissy is a doll and I didn't give her up because I didn't really want her, in fact I wanted her really badly and already had some things for her( that I will be sending to you). It was a very hard decision for me to make because I DID want her so much. I already loved her even though I didn't meet her yet. But I decided not to be selfish and think of what was best for Chrissy. she was already adjusted to where she was and was loved and very well taken care of so I decided to give her up even though it made me sad. I still wsih I had her but I know that she is in good hands.
Melissa

Moesha
04-27-2008, 04:18 PM
But just think of it this way, now you still have a spot in your home for another kitty that needs a home. Emily_the_spoiled didn't know she had a spot, but you did. And that empty spot is sure to be filled with another special kitty needing a home.

Laura's Babies
04-27-2008, 05:42 PM
How could you give her up once you held her? Could anybody? LOOK what a little doll she is.

Congratulations on your failure..

kimlovescats
04-27-2008, 05:54 PM
What a precious babydoll! Congratulations!!!

Medusa
04-27-2008, 05:59 PM
HA! How does it feel to be a failure?! You've become a member of a very large club, believe me. Most of us on PT, myself included, are proud failures at fostering and we wouldn't have it any other way. Chrissy is wonderful and so are you. Looking forward to more updates as we go along......

jenluckenbach
04-27-2008, 06:43 PM
RAISES hand! been there, done that! ;)

Chrissy is TOTALLY, ABSOLUTELY gorgeous! :D :D :D

Emeraldgreen
04-27-2008, 07:18 PM
You may have failed in fostering but you get an A+ in compassion! I know that I would fail miserably at fostering and would end up with every one as a permanent resident. I give so much credit to those that do foster, it is amazing and a much needed service.
Chrissy is beautiful.

krazyaboutkatz
04-28-2008, 01:33 AM
Chrissy is adorable.:) Congrats!!!!:D

momtomany
04-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Well, welcome to the failed foster's club. We are a happy cat crazy group who wouldn't have any other way.

GILL
04-28-2008, 09:15 AM
YES welcome the club. My wife and I knew from the start that we could never foster and I'm the one that never cared for cats. One little girl made it her mission, 23 years ago, too change my mind. We have now cleared our neighbor hood of strays and home less. They are all in our house and I WOULD NOT have it any other way. They can certainly steal your hart. So again welcome to the best of failures.

Pawsitive Thinking
04-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Isn't failing wonderful? congratulations on your new baby

cassiesmom
04-28-2008, 11:41 AM
She's beautiful! Welcome, Chrissy! (She looks like Juke Joint Joseph!)

jazzcat
04-28-2008, 04:36 PM
She is so cute!!!! Congratulations.

Vermontcat
04-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Chrissy is so pretty! :D
She looks a lot like my Samantha.
Congratulations on being a foster failure. :)

jennielynn1970
04-29-2008, 06:00 AM
What a gorgeous little girl!!! I'm so glad she came along when she did. You both needed each other, and giving and getting love in return is the best!

Big hugs to Chrissy and to you!

rg_girlca
04-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Welcome to PT precious little Chrissy. :) Thank you for giving your heart to Chrissy. She sure is adorable. Oh, and as for yourself, welcome to the foster failed club 101. :D