PDA

View Full Version : Stressful trip!

Laura's Babies
04-26-2008, 01:32 PM
I am sure most of you know where I work and heard about the high water and flooding that has went on in the last month. This last trip out was the most stressful one I think any of us have ever had due to the conditions on the Mississippi River. It was unbelievable out there! I could not believe they didn't close the river altogether. The day we got on the boat, we no sooner got settled when we got word the Vicksburg (Mississippi) bridge had been hit and the river was closed to all traffic. That first week we were on there, that Vicksburg bridge was hit just about every other day. That current was so strong. There was a lot of debris floating in the water from whole trees, to logs, old tires and all sorts of stuff. That is dangerous since it can come out of the water and onto the boat and do some serious damage to the boat. In the past we have has a window knocked out on the first deck by a log that popped out of the water so that is always a concern and worry.

This debris also can get under the boat and in the wheels and depending on how that hits the wheels, that can cause damage too. On our way back down south, we had just such a thing happen. Something hit one of the wheels so hard, it shut that engine down. It was restarted without any problem so we never slowed down. The next night, it happened again but this time it damaged the wheel so we had to go to the shipyard and get a new wheel. That took about 4 days between wating for the wheel to be shipped down and our turn to be taken out of the water to change them out. One of our problems was a lock line caught in the wheel. It was wrapped around the shaft so the wheel couldn't turn properly as seen here...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/My%20Babies/wheels1.jpg

and our new wheel once on
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/My%20Babies/WheelSteve2.jpg

A long shot picture of the stern out of the water
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/My%20Babies/HPIM3688.jpg
(my Captain had a fit when he saw this picture. He was upset at how bad he thought the boat looks saying it needs painting there so bad but there is no way that can be done unless the boat is out of the water. He is just so fussy about how the boat looks to everybody)

We didn't hit any bridges although we were all on pins and needles everytime we approached one and held our breaths until we cleared it, but we did have a pretty scary incident when the tow got caught in several edys at the same time. The one on our left was a big one and it was pushing the boat sideways at 7.75 mph (fast for a boat as big as ours, with a big tow, especially sideways!) into the bank on the right. A smaller one was on the right that would push us back into the big one so we were being shoved back and forth between them. We pulled it up on the boats black box later to see it and it was amazing and scary to watch. Between the two of them, they shoved us into a canal made by the high water, bypassing the regular flow of the river but it ran right back into the river a little further up which was a couple of miles shorter for us. Captain said the only thing that saved us from loosing out tow was how well the deck crew had put it together. He is one of the few that require double ups to hold the tow together but that trip, he asked them to do triple ups. They said not one wire broke during that incident.

On the lighter side. I took pictures just about the whole trip.
This one is showing how high the water is on the levees around New Orleans. We normally do not see roof tops of the buildings on the other side! The water was up 17 feet and at 20, it would top the levee so they opened the spillway to relieve the pressure on the levees. They are still open although the water is now falling upriver.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/My%20Babies/HPIM3651.jpg

This is a boat that caught on fire around Baton Rouge on our way down before we got there. Here they are hauling it back upriver. Fire is a really scary thing out there. The saying it "For every gallon of water you put on a fire, the boat is one gallon closer to sinking." I don't think anyone was hurt in this fire and we haven't heard how it started but it looks like it started in the engine room. Where do you go when the boat is on fire? You head out to the tow.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/My%20Babies/HPIM3636.jpg

A few shots from New Orleans water front where we spent a day doing tow work. GNO bridges and the cruise ship "Fantasy".
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/My%20Babies/HPIM3657.jpg

The ship left while we were there so I got a shot of it as it passed us. Those are people you see on the top deck of the boat. They look at us and and take pictures and we look at them and take pictures. LOL!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/My%20Babies/Fantasy1.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this.. It was a rough trip for us and hope we don't have to experience that again!
Last is IMT, this is as far down as we go. IMT is the last stop all the coal in the USA makes before it is loaded on the ocean going vessels and sent over seas. This is 50 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. I was assigned to a boat that worked down there for a year and this is one nasty place to get on and off a boat with all that coal dust.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/My%20Babies/HPIM3644.jpg

Karen
04-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Wow! We were sure all thinking of you whenever we heard the news from the Mississippi! I am glad you and the crew and the boat are all safe, and the boat's back in one functional piece!

Cinder & Smoke
04-26-2008, 01:49 PM
WOW!

Whudda RIDE you guys had!

Where does the Crew hang out while the Boat's in the boatyard and/or on the dry dock?
Do ya'll live on board, or does the Company put you all up in hotels?

Thumbs UP for your Captain & Mate for missing all the bridges and *surfing* so well on the high water!

Have you tried water skiing behind da Boat? :p

(Nice *snappies*!)

Laura's Babies
04-26-2008, 02:05 PM
We stay on the boat while in the shipyard. That is the time the guys get to make repairs and fix up things that they do not have time to do when we are moving. NO one is allowed off until crew change unless there is an emergency at home or quit/fired. My job goes on as usual since we all have to eat but the atsmosphere is a lot more relaxed and informal. We get to spend more time socializing with each other. The port engineer from Kentuck came down to see the damage and approve the work and he ate with us and spent time on the boat with the crew. He went back to the home office and told them we were the best crew he had ever came across! We were happy, got along well and the atsmospehere on the boat was such a light and happy one. That made our Captain so proud when the office repeted that back to him.

Nope, we don't ski behind the boat... not allowed! I think the wheel wash would drown us anyway! We do have those jet skiers ride our wheel wash from time to time since those are quite some waves back there.

Kirsten
04-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Wow, that sounds like a rough trip indeed! Glad you made it home safe!

The photos are very interesting to look at.

Kirsten

Freedom
04-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Laura, you do a wonderful job photographing everything, explaining what we are looking at and why, what goes on during the trip. Thanaks for taking the time to share your world with us!

Glad all are well and now safe back at their homes.

kimlovescats
04-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Laura, how scary! I am so glad you all made it safely! Very interesting pics!

Carol Bulger1944
04-26-2008, 04:08 PM
As Laura's older sister I worry about her trips a lot especially when the waters are so hairy!!!!! I'm always relieved when she gets off the boat and home safely.
Laura they were some interesting pictures. I always enjoy seeing what yall do when out on the river.....To many more trips like this last one I would consider retiring!! Ha!!!! :eek:

Alysser
04-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Wow, that must be very stressful for all of you! I am glad you made it home safe. What kind of ship do you work on? Is it a cruise ship? :confused:

davidpizzica
04-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Laura, I'm SO glad that you, your crew, and your towboat are all safe afte this harrowing trip. I enjoy watching the towboats on our three rivers, the Allegheny, the Monongahela, and the Ohio. Pittsburgh is a city of bridges and when the rivers flood, the conditions can be similar to the conditions you went through on the Mississippi.

Laura's Babies
04-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Maltese_Love wrote;

What kind of ship do you work on? Is it a cruise ship?

It is a tow boat, a work boat, not a pleasure boat. We push barges up and down the river but when I first went to work out there, it was like being on a PAID vacation!

David, I have been to Pittsburgh when I was working on a smaller boat and I have some beautiful pictures somewhere that I took up there. One time we even went up the Monongahela. That was along time ago, they were building a big stadium there by the river and it is a beautiful city at night from the river. You ever see it from the river at night? My first trip up there, our pilot called down and told us to go outside and look around and it was so pretty that it took my breath. It was dark when we went out and we stayed out til long after daylight and I was in awe of the little cable cars on that hill. I bet you have seen some of our boats up there since they do run up there too. I have heard the deckhands complain how cold it is up there in the winter! LOL!

The Ohio drains into the Mississippi so we were dreading all those storms they were getting along the Ohio and the water it would bring down to where we were.

davidpizzica
04-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Maltese_Love wrote;

It is a tow boat, a work boat, not a pleasure boat. We push barges up and down the river but when I first went to work out there, it was like being on a PAID vacation!

David, I have been to Pittsburgh when I was working on a smaller boat and I have some beautiful pictures somewhere that I took up there. One time we even went up the Monongahela. That was along time ago, they were building a big stadium there by the river and it is a beautiful city at night from the river. You ever see it from the river at night? My first trip up there, our pilot called down and told us to go outside and look around and it was so pretty that it took my breath. It was dark when we went out and we stayed out til long after daylight and I was in awe of the little cable cars on that hill. I bet you have seen some of our boats up there since they do run up there too. I have heard the deckhands complain how cold it is up there in the winter! LOL!

The Ohio drains into the Mississippi so we were dreading all those storms they were getting along the Ohio and the water it would bring down to where we were.
Laura, in Pittsburgh we have the Majestic which looks like a Mississippi paddlewheeler. They have dinner and dance cruises on it as it goes up and dowm the three rivers. I've been n a lot of those cruises myself and at night when it's pulling into the dock, the view of downtown and the Point is SO awe-inspiring and even though I've seen it a lot, it still amazes me! Those cable cars are called "inclines" and were built in the late 1890s as a way to get to the top of Mt. Washington. There are observation points at the top of Mt. Washington and the view of downtown from there especially at night is fantastic! Yes, your crew is right. On real cold days it's gone below zero!

chocolatepuppy
04-27-2008, 05:51 AM
Wow, how scary! Thank goodness you're home safe. It's very interesting to learn about your job. :)

Medusa
04-27-2008, 07:32 AM
Stressful is right! My hair stood on end just viewing the pix! I'll never consider any of my work as being stressful again. And reading what you and David wrote about Pittsburgh made me homesick. I grew up in that area and still have one sister left there. I need to make plans to visit her. Thanx so much for sharing this. :)

davidpizzica
04-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Stressful is right! My hair stood on end just viewing the pix! I'll never consider any of my work as being stressful again. And reading what you and David wrote about Pittsburgh made me homesick. I grew up in that area and still have one sister left there. I need to make plans to visit her. Thanx so much for sharing this. :)
You are so welcome, Mary. I didn't mean to make you homesick. As I recall, you lived in McKeesport? I'm not far away in Penn Hills.

Medusa
04-27-2008, 10:32 AM
You are so welcome, Mary. I didn't mean to make you homesick. As I recall, you lived in McKeesport? I'm not far away in Penn Hills.
Yes, I grew up in McKeesport but went back and forth to Pgh. when I was active in theater in the Pgh. Playhouse. It sure holds a lot of good memories for me.

rg_girlca
04-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Oh Laura, I am happy that you and your crew got through these stressful times and are back home safe and sound.

Very interesting pictures. :)