PDA

View Full Version : Dog Breeds

Dixey54
06-25-2000, 05:46 PM
I have two Rottweilers,..and owners of these beautiful, loyal, intelligent dogs know they are much maligned by the general population. Raised correctly, they are the kindest, most even tempered, loveable dogs of most breeds. I can teach my male, Tuff, most anything with a few crackers and 10 minutes. And neither of my Rottys would hurt a fly. My male was even afraid of my Manx's kittens when they were first crawling outta the box. That was a funny sight. I will miss them dearly when they are gone...as I do my lil cat.

Karen
06-25-2000, 07:49 PM
Whenever I see Rottweilers in movies, they are portrayed as big bad dogs - usually belonging to the villian! I think people associate even just the Doberman/Rottweiler markings with "mean" dogs. My first dog was a mixed breed, probably shepherd/Dobe or Rottie, with the classic Rottie markings, and though she was a sweetheart, people were afraid of her at first sight. Did keep door-to-door salesmen away, though! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

windcaller
06-26-2000, 09:21 AM
Rottweilers are good dogs but it breaks my heart to see them overweight. I like to say that a Rottweiler is a Doberman Pincer on steroids http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif (jokingly)

[This message has been edited by windcaller (edited 06-26-2000).]

EmiB
06-26-2000, 10:36 AM
I love Rottweilers, but in my opinion, dalmations rule!!!!!!!!!! My dalmation, Lucky is probably the sweetest dog on earth.
Some people think dalmations are mean, but Lucky can barely hurt his own fleas, let alone hurt a person!!!!

sdaustin
06-26-2000, 11:37 AM
I think mixed breeds are the way to go! I have two pound puppies that are the smartest, most loveable dogs! They're great lap dogs (kind of awkward at 40 lbs. each), good watchdogs (even my deaf one!), and wonderful companions!

sdaustin
06-26-2000, 11:39 AM
I hit the submit button before I was finished..... I am in agreement that the Rotts and Dobies get bad raps! They are sweet dogs, but unfortunately are portrayed as mean!

windcaller
06-26-2000, 12:15 PM
Well, I think English Springer Spaniels Rule!! I love my "Chase", she always is there for you to pet her head!! She is definately a people dog. She thinks she is human more than canine! http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/2674/MinBranBax.JPG

ophelia
06-26-2000, 03:35 PM
i guess i will be the first to post about all the little dogs - i have a dachsund and a toy poodle (both of which have napoleon complexes) - true lapdogs are wonderful anytime

06-26-2000, 06:59 PM
I guess I'm the fool here.. I have Basset Hounds From Hell... AKA Spawns Of Satan. On the outside they look fine, but once you know them, or they want attention, watch out! Granted most times they sleep, eat and sleep some more, but they have their times! But for some reason they seem to be the only pure breeds I get...

My oldest son who was a fantastic Mutt was 1/2 shep and 1/2 lab (both parents were champions) was put down due to cancer sadly. He was my best friend and guardian. I'll never find another like him. He was his Daddy's side kick, traveling partner, ard helper and bestest friend in the world. The day we had to put him down I'll never forget my husband's face and him refusing to let me go with him. We cashed in a CD we saved for a house to pay for is cancer treatments, nothing was too good for him. Man I miss him!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

------------------
Please Help Me To Be Half The Human My Kritters Think I Am!

Kendall2
06-26-2000, 07:49 PM
Hi,

My husband and I have 4 dogs, 2 full breeds and 2 mixed. Our 2 full breeds came from our local shelter. We have a 10 month old blue merle Great Dane whose name is Jasmine, a 2-4 year old Australian Sheperd named Shawna, a 2 year old 3/4 Australian 1/4 German Sheperd named Sox, and a 1.5 year old 1/2 Husky 1/2 Pitbull (another maligned breed). I really have no preference between full and mixed breeds. I have read however, that mixed breeds tend to be healthier. I am another person who feels that Rotties and Dobies have gotten a raw deal. They are only mean if they are trained that way...just like the pits. For the most part they are loving devoted part of the family. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Kira
06-26-2000, 11:55 PM
Hi gang!

As the owner over the years of both mixed breeds and purebreds, I can honestly say that the best mixture I've ever come across is a Springer/Lab. I think you get the best of both breeds, because you don't get the big size of the Lab, and you don't get the medical problems of the Springer. I have two of them now, and they are both smart little cookies...they are very sensitive to my hubby's medical conditions and will stick VERY close to him when he's having troubles. And this is something we didn't have to teach them - they picked it up on their own.

Regarding the behavior of certain breeds, it's all in the person who trains them and how they are treated. My theory is that you treat the animal the way you wish to be treated. :-)

zippy-kat
06-27-2000, 02:04 AM
My first dog was a cocker and I am forever addicted to the breed! She was such a lady!

About a year after her death, we adopted a boxer. What a difference! While our cocker was dainty and elegant, our boxer is rough and tumble! She can always make us smile with her goofy antics.

ferret22
06-27-2000, 09:24 AM
We have a pure bred boxer and a mix breed chow and german shepard. The boxer is just two years old and he is such a big silly dog. He even cries when he gets in trouble. The chow and shepard mix is a great dog. I was a bit concered when i rescued her from the side of the road, you could tell she was definantly part chow (yet another breed with a bad reputation) But she is my five year old son's best friend. We didn't even have to train her not to jump on my son, she automaticly sits and lets him pet her. I couldn't ask for better dogs! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/tongue.gif

------------------
Lisa

Lissa2214
06-27-2000, 11:50 AM
My favourite breed is the Lab. Labs make great farm dogs. I have a golden lab now, named Jesse, and I did have a black lab named Buster but she died last July. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

------------------
If Barbie is so popular, why do we have to buy all her friends serparately?

dcg-czer
06-27-2000, 12:36 PM
I have a Rott - a wonderful, lovable baby! His name is Czer, but I call him "little boy"! Well, he was once! Now he weighs in at 143 (last trip to the vet in April) He is almost 7 years old but thinks he's a lap puppy! Likes to play ball and LOVES his tummy rubbed. He chases the squirrels up the trees and anything else that enters "his" yard. Everyone who meets him, loves him. He's such a sweetheart.

I have always owned a dog...we had Cocker Spaniels, German Shepherds, Siberian Huskey, Miniature Pincer and now the Rotty. I loved them all. Sorry I couldn't choose a favorite breed.

------------------
Respect your elders, you will be one some day.

petpal
06-27-2000, 01:41 PM
Although I love all breeds, my favorite is the German Shepherd. I've had 2 over the past 18yrs. They are very intelligent and always willing to please. About 5yrs ago I had to have my 14yr old female put down because of kidney failure. She had been my best friend since I had graduated high school. Everyone said when we had our daughter that she'd be jealous. They were all so wrong. She loved the baby from the first day they met. When our daughter was old enough to walk, Shaina never left her side. We decided 2 1/2yrs ago to adopt another Shepherd. We bought another female we call Dakota. She's just as smart and loving as Shaina was. She's a joy to have around. Niether of My Shepherds were/are aggressive. I know they also have bad reputations. So many people have overbred wonderful dogs such as the Shepherd, rotties, and dobermans and sold them to irresponsible owners. All these breeds need socialization to truly make them the wonderful dogs they are.

tedjax
06-27-2000, 02:02 PM
I've never had anything but Boxers. They're the sweetest, funniest babies in the world. They're very expressive in their eyes and tilt of the head. My friends have a rott and I adore her. Her name is Clio and she is the most precious thing. She loves attention and loves being petted.

EmiB
06-28-2000, 11:55 AM
I am so glad to see that everyone here sees what great dogs Rottys are!!!!! I have always loved them, but so many people think that they are mean:-(
I have a dalmation, and he is THE sweetest thing. I got him in first grade and he's been my friend ever since. He's a wonderful guard dog!!!!!!
DALMATIONS ROCK!!!!!!

ferret22
06-28-2000, 01:09 PM
My mom has German Shepards. She had one when I was growing up that would walk us to the bus stop every morning. Then she would follow my dad down the road to his work and stay with him untill it was time for the bus to bring us back home. Then she would meet us and walk us home. I have very fond memories of her. We had to have her put down some years ago due to kidney failure (The bane of German Shepards) my mother got the heart to get her another female German Shepard two years ago and she protects my son just like Gypsy did us. They are a remarkable breed. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

06-28-2000, 10:02 PM
Has anyone else had a probem with a wolf hybred? When i was younger I had one and all she would do was snap and growl so much at me I finally had to give her to a rescue centre for them. She wasn't put down, thankfully! But my husband is looking for a new dawgie in a few months and this time wants a 'real' dog (we have Bassets now) and he mentioned a wolf hybred. I'm open for any ideas, Thanks!

RattieBliss
06-28-2000, 10:13 PM
Hi all!

I'm the proud owner of a shih tzu named CC. I prefer shih tzu's to any other dog out there. I just love them all to peices.

I also love chinese cresteds. We are planning to get one of those someday http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

------------------
~Cara aka the rat woman

teena
06-29-2000, 08:09 AM
I have 3 mixed breeds, all shelter dogs. Decided to go with mixed breeds after seeing the horrible conditions at puppy mills, which is where most pet store puppies come from (check out www.hua.org (http://www.hua.org) for an eye opener). My doggies are all healthy, smart, and, of course, spoiled rotten. My oldest dog, Sweetpea, is 14 and has doggie alzheimers and we are struggling with the decision of whether to put her down or not. It is never an easy decision.

Dixieland Dancer
06-30-2000, 10:52 AM
I like all breeds but am a Golden Retriever Diehard. They are the gentlest, most beautiful dogs on God's green earth. I have been the lucky owner of 3 Goldens over the years and find each one to be so precious. There is only one thing that bugs me about people who do not know about goldens. That's when they call them Golden Labs! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif They are Golden Retrievers. They are not part of the Lab line. They are part of the Retriever line. Yellow, Black, and Chocolate are the Labs. A Golden Retriever will never produce a Yellow, Black, or Chocolate Lab. Just as a lab will never produce a Golden Retriever. That is as long as they remain pure bred. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

maxsmom
06-30-2000, 12:41 PM
Teena, thanks so much for providing that link regarding the puppy mills. It was hard to handle, but a real eye opener! I intend to show it to every pet lover I know.

I love all breeds of dogs and think they're all beautiful and special in their own way, but I've always been partial to Giant Schnauzers, Bouviers, Great Danes, and Irish Wolfhounds. However, my husband would never agree to such great beasts!

What do I have, you may ask? I have a German Short Hair/Wire Hair Pointer cross I rescued from the local shelter. He had been raised in a small appartment, muzzled for chewing, and had his water restricted so he could last unattended for longer. He was quite a handful at a rebelious 7 month old, but after a couple of years of hard work and patience, he's now our best friend. Max is true to his breeds, and does everything with great gusto - not one for the faint of heart!

I like the idea of saving lives....in fact, we also have two shelter cats who live in harmony with Mad Max :-)

Dinny
06-30-2000, 01:11 PM
I'm of the opinion that there are no bad dog breeds, just bad owner/trainers! Our Buster was born to a pure breed water spaniel with a german shepherd (maybe mixed) father. The mother's owner was going to shoot the "unpure" puppies unless his wife found homes for them! Idiot! Buster is incredibly smart to the point that he understands a lot of what we're saying. He's sweet, playful and bold. My daughter did a lot of his early training with huge amounts of love and patience. We never trained him by hitting, just positive reinforcement. He does get the bad rap due to his looks as he's got Rottie coloring so people think he's vicious. I agree with the comment that the up side is that it keeps the salesmen at bay! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/cool.gif

yiayiaanita
07-02-2000, 06:24 AM
We have had MANY dogs; but our most recent;
is a 125lb Golden Retriever we "rescued" two
years ago. "THEO" has been the greatest
pet challenge we have ever owned. He's
BIG, beautiful, bright and still a puppy at
four years of age. His former owners gave
him a poor start for the first two years. It
has taken us two years to attempt to train
him properly. GOLDEN'S reign!

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer:
I like all breeds but am a Golden Retriever Diehard. They are the gentlest, most beautiful dogs on God's green earth. I have been the lucky owner of 3 Goldens over the years and find each one to be so precious. There is only one thing that bugs me about people who do not know about goldens. That's when they call them Golden Labs! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif They are Golden Retrievers. They are not part of the Lab line. They are part of the Retriever line. Yellow, Black, and Chocolate are the Labs. A Golden Retriever will never produce a Yellow, Black, or Chocolate Lab. Just as a lab will never produce a Golden Retriever. That is as long as they remain pure bred. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

tsmom
07-02-2000, 08:00 AM
I'm the mom to six dogs-an old GSD-an airdale mix-a rotty/blood hound mix-a who knows what mix and two bassets. The rotty mix Tucker is the mellowest, sweetest guy imagionable-but for pure entertainment value I love bassets and and see myself eventually with a whole pack of them despite all their bad press( lazy dumb slobbery) tsmom

Bunty Boo
07-02-2000, 10:38 AM
I used to breed Goldens before I had to work full time. They are the best!!

I just have the one old lady now. She is 13 and only just realised she has to slow down!!
She has the most wonderful nature (and so pretty!) I count each day I have her as a real blessing and dread the time coming when I will be without her.

teena
07-03-2000, 08:01 AM
Maxmom:
I have 1 border collie/bernese mountain dog mix and 1 aussie mixed with ????. I just had to put my terrier cross down Friday night. It has been a rough weekend. Think I have talked to you before in petchat in Yahoo. Sound familiar?

Teena

Dixieland Dancer
07-03-2000, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Bunty Boo:
I used to breed Goldens before I had to work full time. They are the best!!

I just have the one old lady now. She is 13 and only just realised she has to slow down!!
She has the most wonderful nature (and so pretty!) I count each day I have her as a real blessing and dread the time coming when I will be without her.

I am in the process of getting ready to breed my Golden. She has such a wonderful personality and excellent bloodline. This will be the first time I ever did this. She has gotten all her OFA and CERF clearances. Her hips came back excellent which is good news for the Golden problem of hip displasia. Not to many Goldens get a excellent OFA rating. She has a obedience title (CD) and is working on her second (CDX). She is also being trained for field work. We are hoping to breed her to a field dog. Her dad was a Show Champion and her mom a working field dog with JH, WC, and WCX. She also had her CDX.

The pups should be ready in the early spring of 2001 if all goes well. If you can provide any helpful advice on planning and getting ready since you have been through this already, I would appreciate it. I am especially interested now in the selection process of a stud dog.

Kathy19348
07-03-2000, 12:40 PM
GERMAN SHEPHERDS RULE!!!
I never thought I would hear myself say that, considering I was pretty badly biten by one when I was younger. However, I rescued the most beautiful 1 year old female, Nikki, about 4 years ago, and she has completely sold me on the breed. My comment above is not ment to shoot down other dogs, it is just one girl's opinion. I have seen characteristics in this dog of mine that I have never seen in other dogs. It almost looks like she comtemplates flight everytime she looks skyward and sees a plane or bird. And I don't mean a low flying plane, I mean jets, way up there. I'd love to be in her head, to know what she's thinking.
Probably, nothing. I know we all tend to anthropomorphize our animals.(Oh gosh I hope I spelled that right)
Anyway I'm new here and just dropped in to say HI!!!
Kathy & NIkki

Dixey54
07-03-2000, 10:42 PM
I'm so glad to see so many positive responses about Rottys since I last posted....especially since I've lost one of mine since I last posted. My young female, Xena, died suddenly while I was on the road. The vet said it appeared to be a 'twisted gut', not uncommon among big dogs. Other than that, she was beautifully healthy when she died..and this was totally unforseen. She was a wonderful 'puppy' of a lil more than two years old,..and would probably have had that 'puppy' spirit forever, no matter how old she got to be. She demanded attention, but, oh so politely...and would do whatever commanded just for your approval. She will be dearly missed. Thanks all for your great posts on Rottys..and all the great breeds of our best friends.

punkydoodle
07-06-2000, 02:39 PM
I am wondering if there are any rat terrier
lovers out there? I have owned two (lost one
in divorce but got to keep the best one -ha).
There are the greatest. I have one rat terrier and one chow/shepherd mix. They are
both fantastic dogs. I have also had a rotty and she was the sweetest most lovable dog I've ever known. I took her to a daycare
one day for the children to see and pet. The
more attention she got the happier she was.
Anyway, I would like to hear from other rat
terrier owners. I think we all feel the same; once you haved owned one you are hooked forever!!! They are true terrors when
they are pups, but be patient and they will be the most wonderful, most fun pet you have
ever had. I used to think I only wanted large dogs. Not anymore! The ratties think
they are a big dog in a little body! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Kendall2
07-06-2000, 09:50 PM
Dixie, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It's really tough losing a best friend. Just remember she's waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.

maxsmom
07-08-2000, 08:49 AM
teena:

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your terrier cross. I dread the day Max leaves us. You're right about Yahoo petchat, we have spoken before. I've not had time to chat in a long time, though.

EmiB
07-09-2000, 09:47 AM
Dixey, I feel SOOOOOOO bad about your Rotty!!!!!! My Lucky is still alive and well, but I DEFINATLY do NOT look forward to his death. I know I would miss Luck so much and can only imagine how you feel.

JKRJG24
07-09-2000, 02:43 PM
My neighbor's dog just had puppies! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif They are boxers. I'm so excited. I may be able to get one but my problem is I have a thieteen year old Yorkie and I'm afraid it will put him into depression or something. Some people say it was good for their old dog but some say it wasn't. What should I do? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif

[This message has been edited by JKRJG24 (edited July 09, 2000).]

zippy-kat
07-09-2000, 03:12 PM
JKRJG24--

We've never had more than one dog at a time so I really can't help you out there. However, we do have a 1yr old boxer and she is very(!!) playful (and at times a little too rough). Despite this, she is a joy to have and is a fountain of never ending love (not to mention drool! lol)

Puppies grow very quickly; a boxer puppy will soon out weigh your full-grown Yorkie. I was wondering if you've considered how rough/playful puppies can be and how your older, smaller dog would take this?

Good luck with your decision!! =^..^=

tsmom
07-09-2000, 06:04 PM
I've just added my 7th dog. They range in age from 11+ yrs to 13months. I've had only minor adjustment problems. It helps if the new addition is a pup or already neutered. And don't spoil the new addition too much and make the older guy feel jealous. Judy

peachesmom
07-10-2000, 11:10 PM
JKRJG24,
We adopted a year-old boxer from a rescue group in March, then recently brought home a yorkie/pom mix pup. The pup thinks he's as big as the boxer, who let's him crawl all over her and nip at her jowls or anything else he can reach.

These two joined the family of an 8 year old cat, 6 year old Llasa and 5 year old shephard mix, with the Llasa the alpha dog. I've found when we want to bring in a new critter, it's easier if we do it away from home territory. You may want to take your older yorkie to the boxer pups to see how s/he reacts to them. If s/he isn't happy about being around them, I would reconsider the opportunity until after the older dog has fulfilled its life rather than add stress. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, there will be other pups to adopt. But your long time companion only has you.

carabara
07-11-2000, 12:25 PM
One of my best friends has a huge standard poodle and a tiny miniature pincher, and they absolutely love each other. The little dog nibbles on the standard poodle, and the poodle doesn't even care; just nuzzles the mini pincher back playfully. So, as for size being a problem, I don't think it will be at all!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

summerskkye
07-15-2000, 01:16 AM
The book "Paws to Consider", by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson, talks about wolf hybrids. Here's what it says:

"There are people out there who will make money selling you anything, including wolf hybrids (wolf-dog crosses). These are not pets but dangerous animals that do not behave like dogs. Wolves are wonderful - when they're running free in Yellowstone Park. They were never intended to live in your home. Wolves are actually shy animals who would rather flee than fight. When you mix dogs and wolves you take the useful "run away" and "fear of humans" instincts out of the wolf and add independence, instability, and primitive behaviours to the dog. What you get is 100 percent bad news."

Hope it helps out :=). I love wolves, too...so, I absolutely *worship* Siberian Huskies. Aren't they just too beautiful for words :=) ??

summerskkye
07-15-2000, 01:47 AM
I'm considering getting either a Collie or a German Sheperd.

I've owned both before - 2 collies, a sable girl named Tasha and a tri male named Zire; and 2 Germans, a girl named Reina and a German-Lab mix named King.

Thing is, it's beign a while - I grew up with these dogs - so, I'm hoping some of you who've had more recent experience with them can help me out.

We live in the suburbs, and have a fenced-in yard. Also, we'd be doing two long walks a day (morning and evening). Grooming won't be a problem (collie), I actually love doing it and totally regret the fact that my cat won't allow it http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif !! And of course, the doggie would be with us in the evenings and go to training classes, from puppy kindergarten onwards http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif...

Problem is, he has to get along with (and be completely trustworhty around) our cat,a Himmy-Ragdoll, and our other dog, a Pekingese. The other issue is, in about a year and a half, I'll probably be moving into an apartment, with just my cat and this dog (no Pekingese)...so, the most important thing is, which of these two breeds would best adapt to this change? Which one would be happy with no yard, and only two 20-minute walks per day instead, plus some extra romping on weekends?

Or, do you think neither of these breeds would be happy this way?

Please, I need feedback http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif !! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I love these two breeds, but I want my future buddy to be happy, so if that wouldn't be the case...then I'll look into something else http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Pam
07-15-2000, 08:56 AM
Carabara I just read your note about the standard poodle. Let me just make a huge "plug" for standard poodles. I was fortunate enough to be owned by a black standard for 8 years. Whitney was as close to being a human as is possible. She was gentle, loving, affectionate and intelligent. We introduced CATS (two of them, one at a time) into her life after having her about 5 years. She welcomed them into our home and they quickly became "buddies." Anyway, back to the original problem of the Yorkie and the Boxer......I think it depends a lot on the dogs involved. The puppy will do fine, and I think if he/she is introduced to the Yorkie in a gradual way, with lots of love and reassurance, the Yorkie will adapt. It may just give him a "second wind" so to speak! Good luck and let us know how you do!!

JKRJG24
07-15-2000, 01:54 PM
Well I relly want to get her and I think your right I think it would be good for Bear but now my dad is saying no! I still think there is hope but it's looking bad! I guess maybe there is a reason he is saying no and I guess if I really love this dog I will want the best for her! But I still hope he will come around!!!!!!!!!

lhg0962
07-16-2000, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by JKRJG24:
My neighbor's dog just had puppies! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif They are boxers. I'm so excited. I may be able to get one but my problem is I have a thieteen year old Yorkie and I'm afraid it will put him into depression or something. Some people say it was good for their old dog but some say it wasn't. What should I do? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif

When I had a similar situation, last year, my veterinarian and I discussed it. We had a cocker spaniel, Kaycee, who was 12 years old and suffering from congestive heart failure. I was concerned that my 8 year old daughter wouldn't handle her death very well, and although I was spending a lot of money and time attempting to extend her life, I knew she wouldn't go on forever. The vet was very supportive and encouraged me to go ahead and introduce a new pet into our household. We already had the cocker and a 10 year old cat, but Kaycee and Mimi did wonderfully when we were joined by "Honey" on my daughter's birthday. Honey came to us as a 6 week old golden retriever and Kaycee just adored her. I think she thought of herself as a mother. She would correct Honey when she bothered her too much, but they slept together and spent time outside together. All in all, I think it was a good few final months for Kaycee and helped Honey to adjust to our home without all those terrible adjustments we hear about wiht new puppies. I think going ahead and getting a new dog, even if you have to separate them occassionally, is a wonderful idea and I would encourage you to do it.

[This message has been edited by JKRJG24 (edited July 09, 2000).]

Tanya
07-19-2000, 11:11 AM
When my husband and I got married, we each had a dog. I had a 6 year old boxer and he had a 1 year old schnauzer. We introduced them on neutral territory and they have gotten along well ever since; 2 years now. It really helps if only one dog has an aggressive personality. In our house the schnauzer is the boss. All 20 lbs. of him! Boxers are not known as aggressive dogs (unless they're trained to be). They are usually a good breed to introduce to other dogs.

iluvpets
07-19-2000, 11:27 AM
hi my grandmother has a doberman and she wont hurt anybody that dosesn't bother her she is just a puppy but sh e is about 49 inches
well i love rotts and i want onje of those big pluse ones!

Mallerie23
07-19-2000, 03:51 PM
My doggies are cool! I have a yellow lab named Allie and a Jack Russel Terrier named Zoe. Zoe likes to chase birds, chase cats, and bury bones. Zoe has fleas. Allie likes to swim, go hunting, and eat. She also likes to eat dead fish. Well I gotta go pick fleas off of my dog. C'ya, Mal http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Mallerie23
07-19-2000, 03:56 PM
I own a psyco dog from hell. She must just not like me. anyone else got a dog that bites you for fun?

Mallerie23
07-19-2000, 04:00 PM
Summersky- dont get a doggie! my lil dog still hates our big house! wait till u have a big house and more time. you could get a mini collie....

Mallerie23
07-19-2000, 05:29 PM
I love most dogs, but the one that I can't stand is the pitt bull! they are mean! One time a pitt bull tried to bit me! Luckily I got away but I've been scared of them ever since. Got any replies on that?

karlicat
07-21-2000, 12:02 PM
I have a rare breed, a purebred Havanese, Poco, and i like to brag about her. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif She can do all kindsa trix, and Growl is one. Yep i taught my 10"-high poofy-haired Cuban Silk Dog to growl. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/cool.gif She does lot of other typical tricks too, like sit speak rollover jump. She is very intelligent and she licks a lot. You can stick something in her face and she will http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/tongue.gif lick it. She is my adorable puppy although she is 3 years old. I got her off the Internet! A breeder in California was moving to London and couldn't take her so they sold her to Us. WEBDOGG! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

bigmack
07-21-2000, 04:11 PM
Hi there have you ever seen such beautiful dogs as bullmastiffs?

Rebel_Rouser
07-25-2000, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Mallerie23:
I love most dogs, but the one that I can't stand is the pitt bull! they are mean! One time a pitt bull tried to bit me! Luckily I got away but I've been scared of them ever since. Got any replies on that?

Can't stand the pit bull? I was attacked by a chihuahua when I was 10, but I don't hate them. I'm sorry that you were bitten. I'll bet you that the person who RAISED the dog didn't socialize him/her like they should have. Or perhaps he felt threatened or wanted to protect his property.

You can't judge a breed just by bad press! I have a pit (well, actually an AmStaff) who is the most wonderful, handsome, loving, smartest dog I have ever had. He doesn't even hurt the frogs when he chases them! We have a little kitten that he just adores (and he's about 10 times bigger!) you should see them sleeping together on the couch - way too cute!!

Sorry to go off, but it really makes me angry when someone slams pit bulls without knowing everything. Please do me a favor and check out this site for me:
http://www.cyberpresence.net/pb/pbweb.html

Then perhaps you'll have a better idea of what a wonderful animal a pit bull can be!

Thanks for listening to my rant http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

how can you put a picture in here?)

Dinny
07-25-2000, 02:51 PM
I'm so glad to see so many people with rescued dogs. I work with Critter Rescue up in the WI Northwoods which is dedicated to finding homes for abandoned and abused animals. We have a network of people who act as foster parents until a suitable home can be found. We also have arrangements with a local vet to provide any medical care and spaying or neutering that's necessary when the animal is brought to us. It's great when we find someone who will take in these great animals and give them a fresh, loving start. You folks are special people!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Daisy's Mom
07-28-2000, 01:14 AM
What do you mean Basset Hounds from Hell? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif I have a one year old Basset - Daisy - and she is the sweetest dog I've ever seen, and has set off a chain reaction among my friends all scrambling for their own bassets! One of them has even named her dog Baby Daisy because she adored mine so much! I'd recommend Bassets to pretty much everyone... despite what people think, they aren't just couch potatos, my basset loves to play in our field, and is faster than any of the kids in the neighborhood, who all race her. But, for those who aren't very active, the basset is also content to lounge with you, Daisy thinks she is a lap dog. She has many friends, both dog, people, even horse, as she is very friendly. She is great with children and also good with people in wheelchairs as we have one in our home as well as next door and is very gentle. Everyone around here loves that droopy little dog! So not all bassets are from hell, I certainly have an angel here!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kaleigh-Gray & Kritters:
[B]I guess I'm the fool here.. I have Basset Hounds From Hell... AKA Spawns Of Satan. On the outside they look fine, but once you know them, or they want attention, watch out! Granted most times they sleep, eat and sleep some more, but they have their times! But for some reason they seem to be the only pure breeds I get...

blue_heeler
07-28-2000, 10:11 AM
I LOVE Australian Cattledogs. My grandpa has an Australian Cattledog named Buck. He is a red heeler. He is the sweetest dog. If any of you other Australian Cattledog lovers want to e-mail me your more than welcome to. I also have a cat (whom we have to give away http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif), a guinea pig, a gerbil, and three parakeets. Our guinea pig is an Abyssinian, broken whit blue marked(marked cavy). If you have the same kind of guinea pig or any other kind your also mre than welcome to e-mail me.

blue_heeler
07-28-2000, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by summerskkye:
I'm considering getting either a Collie or a German Sheperd.

I've owned both before - 2 collies, a sable girl named Tasha and a tri male named Zire; and 2 Germans, a girl named Reina and a German-Lab mix named King.

Thing is, it's beign a while - I grew up with these dogs - so, I'm hoping some of you who've had more recent experience with them can help me out.

We live in the suburbs, and have a fenced-in yard. Also, we'd be doing two long walks a day (morning and evening). Grooming won't be a problem (collie), I actually love doing it and totally regret the fact that my cat won't allow it http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif !! And of course, the doggie would be with us in the evenings and go to training classes, from puppy kindergarten onwards http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif...

Problem is, he has to get along with (and be completely trustworhty around) our cat,a Himmy-Ragdoll, and our other dog, a Pekingese. The other issue is, in about a year and a half, I'll probably be moving into an apartment, with just my cat and this dog (no Pekingese)...so, the most important thing is, which of these two breeds would best adapt to this change? Which one would be happy with no yard, and only two 20-minute walks per day instead, plus some extra romping on weekends?

Or, do you think neither of these breeds would be happy this way?

Please, I need feedback http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif !! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I love these two breeds, but I want my future buddy to be happy, so if that wouldn't be the case...then I'll look into something else http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Personally, I would choose Collies over German Shepherds. They are both great. But, I'm more into the herding dogs. I know Germam Shepherds were bred for herding, but Collies have a better reputation of it. Its your choice. I hope that I have helped.

blue_heeler
07-28-2000, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by bigmack:
Hi there have you ever seen such beautiful dogs as bullmastiffs?

Bigmack-I've seen more beautiful dogs than bullmastiffs. But they are ADORABLE!!!!!!!!! I have dreamed of owning a French Mastiff. That's the kind of dog that played in Turner and Hooch. But, where I live a French Mastiff would be misserable. I live in an apartment http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif.

blue_heeler
07-28-2000, 10:25 AM

mallerie23-Pit Bulls are not mean. They just have a bad rep. It depends on the owner. If the owner treats it like a dog from HELL than it will bite you.

Kikkem
07-28-2000, 11:17 PM
I get really irritated at people who say "I cant stand Dobes/Rotts/Pitts because they are mean" Get a friggin clue would ya? I have a Dobe, and he is the most loveable mutt in the world. My brother has a Pitt, and I have never heard him so much as growl, and the same goes for my friend and his Rott. (A toy Chihuahua is trainable to be mean). Before you say that you don't like them, take the time to meet the "Viscous" dogs and see what sweethearts they can really be.

Kikkem
07-28-2000, 11:35 PM
If you got bit by a toy Chihuahua, would you think that they are mean too? The Dobes/Rotts/Pits are not mean. Originally they were bred to be, but with selective breeding the inherently aggressive traits are gone. True, they are still trainable to be mean, but you can abuse a Chinese Crested, and it will be mean also. I think that before you say you don't like them, you should meet more than 1 of a particular breed. There are some people that I don't like, but I am not going to be so closed-minded enough to say I hate all people. Give the "viscous" dogs a chance.

karlicat
07-29-2000, 04:26 PM
D:/PICTURES/POCO/POCO_TWIST.JPG [/B][/QUOTE]

My dog is very flexible. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

karlicat
07-29-2000, 04:28 PM
D:/PICTURES/POCO/POCO_TWIST.JPG

Lets try the pic again

Mallerie23
08-02-2000, 08:39 PM
Will everybody just give me a break!? Just because I'm not too fond of pitt bulls, doesn't mean that I am a bad person! The dog that tried to bite me was a family dog that was raised with loving owners and two toddlers. My friend had no problems with the dog when she visited the family, but for some reason he snapped at me. Iv'e met nice rotts, dobermans, and boxers in the past, but I've never come across a nice pitt bull. And I'm mostly a big dog person! Pitt bulls were raised to be vicious, and I understand that they can be sweet. I'm just saying that I know labs and retrievers and other kinds of big dogs that weren't raised to fight, and unless you train them to be mean, they would never harm you! That's why I'm sticking to those kinds of dogs and I'd rather not take any chances on a pitt bull! Sorry if I offended you, okay? I don't like pitt bulls, and I really don't think I will ever be too fond of them. please don't judge me on what kind of dog I don't like, okay? I'm not saying that i don't like pitt bulls because i've heard of them being mean, I experienced it myself. Sorry to all of you people who hate me because of my taste in dogs!

Karen
08-03-2000, 07:30 AM
Okay, let's all be nicer here! We are all animal friends because of love, right? So, while we are all human and have our own biases and favorites, let's not stomp on anyone else's fellings because of theirs, okay? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

karen israel
08-03-2000, 12:59 PM
Teena.. A million thx for suggesting the hua website- I'm slowing reading the entire thing(work is intervering) and it is awesome! The pictures and the stories almost made me cry. Wish I had a million dollars for them. They are angels of mercy. It's amazing how we treat defensless living creature. thanks again. Love, Karen

tsmom
08-03-2000, 01:01 PM
Daisysmom is right-bassets are not the dogs people think they are. They are not lazy stupid and necessarily fat. Unfortunately that is why so many wind up in rescue/shelters-folks don't get what they expect. Good research before buying any breed is a must. Come see my trim energetic bassets @ http://BassetBrothersandCo.homestead.com/intro2.html

COMETWORFPUP10
08-08-2000, 08:37 AM
My favorite type of dog is probabaly a mutt because not only do I have 2 mutts but I think that they are much more likely to love people then wild or purebred dogs.Although I cant pick favorites,these dogs are my favorite.

------------------
TAYLOR----COMETWORFPUP10

shultz56
08-08-2000, 12:52 PM
It isn't the breed unless you have a poorly bred specimen. But we have to remember that our dogs are pack animals and pack behavior is nothing akin to what we see with our individual pets. In many cases pets who would never bite anyone, when out with another dog or dogs, will attack other animals or people. Instinct can take over. This is true of all dogs who are, innately, carnivores. i.e. I am a dog breeder and individually my dogs will play with the cats
but any combination of two of the dogs and they will go after the cat. This also applies to taking runs - any one of my dogs will stay in the unfenced yard but let a second one out of the kennel and off they go!

If people who realize the pack instinct is not extinguished in our dogs there would be fewer tragedies for people and pet owners.

Heather77
08-08-2000, 03:56 PM
I LOVE AKITAS! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif
My Akita Nikki lived to be 11 and died when I was a soph. in college- cancer. Two years earlier, though, she nearly died from a twisted stomach and was saved when my parents rushed her to the hospital in the middle of the night and her stomach was stapled... and she survived for two whole years after that. She was the sweetest 85 pound baby.
My parents' Akita Chewy is three years old and the sweetest with the family, but has nipped a few people so now they just keep her separated from guests. We don't understand why she does it. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif Otherwise she is a 90 pound lover.
Right now though, I am in love with my 2 year old Lab/Chow cross Anna that I adopted two months ago. Such a good baby!

JKRJG24
08-09-2000, 09:40 AM
Does any one like to do flyball? I think it is really cool!

Rebel_Rouser
08-09-2000, 09:48 AM
Sorry Mallerie...didn't mean to jump on you. I'm just such a pit bull advocate right now, I get a little upset when I hear someone say something bad about 'em! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif I bet you a zillion dollars, tho you'd fall in love w/my baby the minute you met him http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif (although I am a little biased!) lol! Can anyone tell me how to put a picture in here?

JKRJG24
08-21-2000, 08:43 AM
Yesterday I was at the melon fest and I saw the cueteste dog it was a miniture pinture.
It was sooo cute!!!! She was such a sweetie and so small!

karlicat
08-22-2000, 08:00 PM
nyone know PrittyKitty007? She emailed ndi e'ed her back butit didn't get thru. HElp!! nd how do i post pics here of my pup??
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

RottieLover
08-23-2000, 10:05 PM
I had a rottweiler (he got stollen) & when he was a puppy he was box trained (he'd sleep in his box ect.), when he was about 9 mounths old, I put myself in a BIG box & started to call him... when he found me he was so mad that I was in a box he riped the bax apart. when he finally could smell my finger thru a whole he licked my finger & went out of control ripping up this box untill I was safely out of the box...... I remeber one time I took him down to the river around where I live... I was only 11 & I was splashing in the water... he came running in the water (he was tied up he chewed thru his rope), he got in the water grabed me by my shirt & drug me back to the river bank... Now if that isn't love I don't know what is... he got stollen 5 years ago... & I have another rottie that when ever I ride my horses he gets mad becauses I'll yell at them or something, & he'll start barking his head off.... he broke out of the house once came running to me & stood infront of me growling at my horse..... I love my rottie & I'd do anything for him

RottieLover
08-23-2000, 10:25 PM
Thats not fare, my first dog was a pitt bull. she was the best babysitter I've ever had. & we got her from the pound, she was abused, & the day we got her was the day she was gonna be put down.... I'd never trade her for anything.. untill the (to put it nicely) stupid speeding people on my road who don't look out for animals, hit my dog.. SHE WAS THE BEST!!!!!! & I STILL LOVE HER.. it's not bad dogs it's bad handlers & Trainers!!!!!~~~~~!!!!!!~~~~~!!!!!!~~~~~~

karlicat
08-24-2000, 03:34 PM
My cuosin has 2 great dane bros, Pinky and Brain, the black handsome dominant smart one is Brain and the mischeivious white-black-spotted slightly stupid http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif crooked-earsed one is Pinky. Very appropriate names huh. Well, Brain is usually very wellbehaved and gentle around guests (especially childern) and when we cme to visit, my lil sis came over to pet Brain after the helloes were over. He snapped t her, but didn't do anything except slobber alittle, but it really wasn't like him! Pinky was more likely to do that- and Brain wasn't provoked or anything! Is that a dominance display or something?? Pleez help!

So how do i put pics of woofies on here?? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

jake
08-25-2000, 06:38 AM
We have searched for years for the perfect dog for my family. We love all large breeds-they seem to be the most tolerant of children. Currently we have a Bernese mountain dog. We chose this breed over the Great Pyrennes. Once we have a home built on some acreage we own, we will be adding the Great Pyrennes, Alaskan malamute, and Bouvier de Flanders to our family. We had a rottweiller named Dante. He was a great family pet, but we had to place him with a friend because we were moving to a small apartment with no yard. He was great with children and followed me everywhere i went. We have also had Pekingnese and Cocker Spaniels. Way too much competition for attention with the children! Sorry, BIG dogs only from now on.

SimbyLou
09-04-2000, 11:44 AM
Well I have the SMARTEST dog in the world..Hes a German Shepherd/Pit bull mix..So i would have to say The American Pit Bull Terrier first then I have always wanted a German Shepherd...Or i could say the Simba dog..Thats my dogs name...Hes the smartest dog i knoe... I tell him to go to bed he goes in my room and jumps up on my bed..I tell him to go to his room he walks straight to his room...he knoes tons of tricks like roll over,sit pretty,he flips a treat off of his nose,he crawls on the floor,he stops ,drops and rolls, and he says "I Love You" sometimes it doesnt sound like i love you but he gets 3 syllabals out. He is very protective over me, If someone were to hit me he jumps up and bites them in the thigh, If he hears 1 lil sound outside he barks. If he didnt knoe you and you walked in you would be Torn up from your head to toes. Although he is protective he is GREAT with kids. He loves playing with the Neighbor kids.....If they are younge or Old kids...And it seems weird allthough he doesnt like men he loves "old people". His full name is Simba Warrick K. I got Warrick from the football player on Buccaneers Warrick Dunn #28, Hes my favorite player and the bucs are my favorite team.. Simba plays football with me and he runs just like Warrick. He is 2 years old and I saved him from The St. Pete SPCA. The first day I brought him home he bit my mom 2 times because he was scared. The first 4 weeks or so he would not leave my side or let anyone else touch him except for me. If he ever died i would cry the rest of my life and there will never be another dog to replace him. He is the best compainion ive ever had. I love him!

Sophies Daddy
09-04-2000, 03:20 PM
My favorite breed has to be the Papillon. They are beautiful, intelligent, lively, easy to train, easy to groom, have no doggie odor and very little dander (for the allergy sufferers out there), are inexpensive to feed, are inexpensive to take to the vet, are wonderful and loyal companions, and very easy to clean up after. For those people who like to do activities with their dogs, they excel at obedience and agility. They are in the top five breeds of dog selected for agility and the number one toy dog based on points and titles earned in obedience. They are very good in public and are, therefore, easy to take with you. And what a personality! They have this look that just screams "Come and say hi to me!" All this and you can control the dog with one finger in the leash loop when they pull their hardest. This may be the ideal breed!

I do not, however, recommend the dog for people with insecurities or with small, unruly children. If you feel that you need a dog for personal protection (and I pity you if you do) or to boost your macho image, this dog is not for you. This dog will alert you to intruders, but the intruder would have to trip over the dog for the dog to be effective. The dog will attract all kinds of kind, dog-loving people, including attractive women and men whichever you are interested in meeting (kind of counteracts the necessity for the macho dog, huh?). Small children also have a tendency to literally break this dog due to its fine bone structure. This isn't a problem if you can train your kids...

Rottie
09-12-2000, 08:23 PM
Rottweilers, overweight??? There are sooo many of them. I own a 3 year old male. We watch his weight VERY closely.

Because we do, some people are surprised that he's 3 and he's not very big (or, maybe they mean fat!)

tailsawaggin
09-24-2000, 10:41 PM
Border Collies, Border Collies, and nothing but Border Collies! I am the proud owner of four beautiful Border Collies...Elmo, a sable and white male; Ditto, a black and white female; Zen, a red and white male; and Echo, a tricolor female. The thing I love the most about Border Collies is their intelligence and the fact that you very rarely see two BC's look the same. You can see photos of my K9 kids on our 'little home on the web' http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif...http://www.homepagez.com/tailsawaggin

01-19-2001, 11:39 PM
I have a female "Taco Bell" look alike chihuahua that's now 12 years old. I have a rottweiler puppy who's 6 months old. I also have 2 cats whom both dogs love. My chihuahua, Minnie and my rott, Zeus play together fine. I'd have to say though that Minnie definately is the boss of the house. I can't say that I have a favorite breed. I can say that a dog is only as good as its teacher. Dogs aren't born mean they are only products of their environment, so of course if they are taught to be mean and aren't properly socialized they will be mean. Taking care of any animal is a big responsibiliy and should be given lots of thought.

cdippy
01-19-2001, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by salina:
I have a female "Taco Bell" look alike chihuahua that's now 12 years old. I have a rottweiler puppy who's 6 months old. I also have 2 cats whom both dogs love. My chihuahua, Minnie and my rott, Zeus play together fine. I'd have to say though that Minnie definately is the boss of the house. I can't say that I have a favorite breed. I can say that a dog is only as good as its teacher. Dogs aren't born mean they are only products of their environment, so of course if they are taught to be mean and aren't properly socialized they will be mean. Taking care of any animal is a big responsibiliy and should be given lots of thought.

OH my...you sure do have your hands full with all your animals...i bet thats challenge..haha.. sometimes i have a hard enough time trying to take care and my 11month old pup..or should i say dog since she'll be a yr old next month....but i totally agree with you on how the dog is gonna behave.. if the dogs is well trained and learn good behaviors then itll learn and stay that way...its all about training your dog....

AdoreMyDogs
01-23-2001, 10:55 AM
I would have to say that my favorite dog ever has been my aussie mix, Graham. As much as I love my pug, and loved my past canine friends, Graham and I have an amazing, one-of-a-kind relationship. I know I will never find another like him, I struck gold. My next breed will be a GSD, but I am pretty set on a German import from exceptional breeding simply because I have seen some very poorly bred GSD's and I don't want to have that happen to me. The people with wonderful, friendly, extremely easy to train and willing to please GSD's who were rescues were very lucky.

Sudilar
01-23-2001, 05:31 PM
Adore,
Yes, I, too, feel that I was lucky to find two GSDs from a shelter who are so loving and willing to learn!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif
Sue

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***