PDA

View Full Version : Stupicus Wordicus

lizbud
04-24-2008, 07:21 PM
I was going to start a thread on stupid words heard in many TV ads
selling medical remedies for everything that ails you.There is one that
really gets on my nerves every time I hear it & it's Dannon's Activia.

While trying to find a "real definition" for" Bifouus Regularis" :rolleyes:
I found this & thought it was soooo funny. I laughed myself silly. :)

"Each new incarnation of a product promises us that it will be the Best Ever! The best at relieving muscle aches; the best at whitening your teeth; the best at cleaning the toilet. Recently Dannon has been pitching its new Activia brand of yogurt. In the TV ad, one woman is bemoaning the fact that she’s irregular (and it’s ALWAYS a woman, isn’t it?) . Her friend helpfully explains that she’s probably not eating right. Friend goes on to say she no longer has “that problem” since she’s started eating Dannon Activia, then explains that Activia contains Bifidus Regularis, which can help maintain proper intestinal health.

Wait a minute. Bifidus Regularis? WTF? Look, I have a science degree. I’ve know my microbiology. And I know that there is no naturally occurring gut flora called Bifidus Regularis. For one thing, the use of the word Regularis isn’t even Latin. It SOUNDS Latin. It looks kind of like Latin. But it ain’t Latin, honey. This I know. So, skeptic that I am, I decided to do a little research of my own.

A quick check of Wiki confirms my suspicians. B. Regularis is what is known as probiotic - a dietary supplement that contains potentially beneficial bacteria or yeast. These probiotic cultures are mixed up in the lab, then renamed something consumer-friendly.

According to Wiki:
“It is important to stress that these are not scientific names but trade names designed to sound and look like scientifically named organisms…the two words of these trade names are both written with their first letters capitalized and never in italics but rather in bold type.”

Dannon is also hyping another new product designed to boost your immune system with the magic ingredient L. Casei Immunitis. Puleeze.
Maybe these products work and maybe they don’t. My gripe is that the names they came up with for their probiotics are incredibly cheesy. I can just imagine the rejected brand names thrown out at the brainstorming session at Dannon Headquarters now
Nomorus Constipatus
Nomorus Strainicus
Undous Constricturus
Gutucus Rapidus
Rapidus Evacuous
They can kissus my assicus.

So - I am hereby declaring my intention to never purchase these Dannon products, or any other products that blantantly use stupid, made-up, fakey sounding scientific terms. I’m sure they’re quaking in their boots right now"

Freedom
04-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Great article, thanks!

The sad part is that so many people watching the ad on TV think that really IS a scientific name, and will buy the product. Seems like it is very close to borderline false advertising, but still on the side of being OK. :rolleyes:

I keep hearing a radio ad for Poise which will make your dog so serene and easy to live with. Yeah, right. It's a sedative!!! They don't say that in the ad at all.

Daisy and Delilah
04-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Liz, I am so glad somebody brought this up and posted it. I have been muting the tv every time those commercials come on. I kept wondering what the heck Bifidus Regularis could possibly be-thanks for the info. It sounded like a Saturday Night Live advertisement. I used to like Jamie Lee Curtis but I get crazy when that commercial comes on. Does she realize how ridiculous she sounds? She did a little reading in the yogurt aisle, bla bla bla :p

I love the list of terms from the brainstorming session :D :D :D

kittycats_delight
04-25-2008, 03:03 AM
We have these products here as Danone is an Italian company. Activia has been on the market her for well over a year. It is suggested by dieticians as a good regulatory aid. These strange fake 'latin' words are not used in the ads here at all. It seems they feel the need to 'smart' it up for the english consumers. I personally think it is ridiculous and unnecessary. The product sells well here without all the bells and whistles. And it claims to have probiotics and not some super silly ridiculous catch name ingredients. There is another here that is called Actimel. It is a probiotic yogurt drink. I believe it kinda goes hand in hand with the Activia.

I think the companies need to give consumers more credit. I do find it strange though that they do not feel the need to invent words for the italian market but have done so for the american market.

Laura's Babies
04-25-2008, 08:20 AM
I've come to realize there are many new "fads" created to get our money. If my life has been fine before all this new stuff was invented, why do I need it now? To me, "man made" means AVOID... it can not be good for you! It is all about $$$$$$$....

lizbud
04-25-2008, 10:06 AM
I used to like Jamie Lee Curtis but I get crazy when that commercial comes on. Does she realize how ridiculous she sounds? She did a little reading in the yogurt aisle, bla bla bla :p

I love the list of terms from the brainstorming session :D :D :D

Hey, a girl's gotta make a living, right? :rolleyes: I'll bet she laughs all
the way to the bank. :D

Oh, I loved the list of possibles too.LOL :D

lizbud
04-25-2008, 10:09 AM
I think the companies need to give consumers more credit. I do find it strange though that they do not feel the need to invent words for the italian market but have done so for the american market.

That is interesting. Hummm, says something about American consumers
doesn't it.

smokey the elder
04-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I think that's just a fancy way of saying "active cultures". Any yogurt worth anything ought to have active probiotic flora in it. I think Consumer Reports or someone did an expose on this type of advertising. The thing that gets me is citing of "clinical evidence", yet in the fine print they have the FDA disclaimer. Real clinical trials are time-consuming and EXPENSIVE and companies shouldn't go about claiming such results without any proof.

Ginger's Mom
04-25-2008, 10:46 AM
LOL, great article, and I love the list of brainstorming words too. Sometimes you just have to shake your head at what some advertizing companies will come up with.

pitc9
04-25-2008, 03:05 PM
I do find it strange though that they do not feel the need to invent words for the italian market but have done so for the american market.

OUCH! :eek:

;)
How true!!!

Suki Wingy
04-25-2008, 08:36 PM
I always laugh at that commercial, and the ones where they show a simple little animation of what's "going on in your body"
ooh, they drew a blood cell, it must be scientific!

Daisy and Delilah
04-26-2008, 10:23 AM
You're right Liz!! I watched that commercial, reluctantly, last night just to analyze some more. I was thinking exactly the same thing. They call her agent, make the offer, why not??? Mo money!! Who cares how we make it? It's hilarious.

Maybe it's me but I thought I detected a smirk on her face indicating that she thinks it's off the wall too :D

RICHARD
04-30-2008, 01:36 AM
DUDE!

LOLOLOL, I friggin hate those stupid commercials that give everyone a lead on hypocondria.

My latest peeve is the new medicine called-

ACIPHEX-

Say it slowly and like a fourth grader....

Aciphex......Eat me some beans and I'll have some ACIPHEX! ;)

Medusa
05-03-2008, 06:43 AM
All of which tells me that Madison Ave. really does think the average American is stupid. Put a lab coat on someone, even if that person is an actor, and suddenly we're believers. As my son says about the women who work in the Clinique cosmetics department: They walk around w/their lab coats and clip boards, looking so important, like they're working on the formula for "lipstickium".

Medusa
05-03-2008, 06:45 AM
All of which tells me that Madison Ave. really does think the average American is stupid. Put a lab coat on someone, even if that person is an actor, and suddenly we're believers. As my son says in his act about the women who work in the Clinique cosmetics department: They probably make minimum wage and they walk around w/their lab coats and clip boards, looking so important, like they're working on the formula for "lipstickium".

RICHARD
05-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Check out the initials at the end of the doctor's name in a commercial.

Most of the time you have a Ophthamologist shilling for weight loss meds!

-------------

I like the girls in lab coats. They make me want to turn my head and cough!:rolleyes:

momoffuzzyfaces
05-03-2008, 01:38 PM
The best at relieving muscle aches; the best at whitening your teeth;

Just a thought: did they test all this whitening stuff they are now sticking into all the toothpaste to see if it's harmful? Are we just brushing our teeth with a product with bleach inside it? :eek: Just wondering.