PDA

View Full Version : 'Semi-Pro' Bear Fatally Bites Trainer

Sevaede
04-23-2008, 09:18 AM
The link is here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080423/ap_on_re_us/grizzly_attack) .

BIG BEAR LAKE, Calif. - The grizzly bear that wrestled Will Ferrell's character in the recent film "Semi-Pro" seemed to obediently follow cues — which made its killing of its trainer with a bite to the neck all the more stunning.
ADVERTISEMENT

Three experienced handlers were working with the grizzly Tuesday at the Predators in Action wild animal training center when the bear attacked Stephan Miller, 39, said San Bernardino County sheriff's spokeswoman Cindy Beavers.

Stephan Miller is the cousin of training center owner Randy Miller, she said.

Pepper spray was used to subdue and contain the bear, and there were no other injuries, Beavers said. Paramedics arriving shortly after the initial emergency call around 3 p.m. were unable to revive Stephan Miller.

The state Department of Fish and Game and Occupational Safety and Health Administration were investigating the incident.

Fish and game spokesman Harry Morse told the San Bernardino Sun Tuesday his department would not decide whether the bear will be euthanized because the attack occurred outside its jurisdiction during a training session on facility grounds.

Morse speculated that the county animal care officials may decide the bear's fate. A call placed early Wednesday to the county's Animal Care and Control Program was not answered.

Sheriff's Sgt. Dave Phelps said the bear was a 5-year-old male named Rocky. The Predators in Action Web site said Rocky is 7 1/2 feet tall and weighs 700 pounds.

The site, which was off-line early Wednesday due to overtaxed bandwidth, identified Rocky as the animal that appeared with Ferrell's character in the scene from "Semi-Pro." Randy Miller doubled for Ferrell in the bear wrestling match, according to the site.

Calls seeking comment from Randy Miller were not immediately returned Tuesday evening.

The center, located in the San Bernardino Mountains east of Los Angeles, has two grizzlies, and also trains lions, tigers, leopards, cougars and wolves for uses ranging from film and TV to advertising and education.

In a February interview, Randy Miller called Rocky "the best working bear in the business," the San Bernardino Sun reported on its Web site Wednesday. But, the paper quoted him as saying, "If one of these animals gets a hold of your throat, you're finished."

Randy Miller has 25 years of experience training animals and his facility has had a perfect safety record, according to the site.

Randy Miller won a World Stunt Academy Award for his work wrestling tigers in the 2000 blockbuster "Gladiator" and performed stunts with his animals in films like "The Postman," "The Island of Dr. Moreau," and "The Last Samurai." He also helped recreate animal attacks for National Geographic documentaries and the Discovery Channel.

It was not immediately known how long Rocky has been at the facility.

The attack prompted actress Virginia McKenna, founder of the international wildlife charity Born Free, to call for the entertainment industry to stop using wild animals.

"The movie industry urgently needs to use its technological and creative imagination to put an end to the use of live wild animals in commercials and movies," McKenna, who starred in the 1966 wildlife film "Born Free," said in a printed release. "Hollywood is a dream factory — this time the dream has become a nightmare."

Denise Richards, who works with wild animals at Moonridge Zoo, a sanctuary for injured and homeless wildlife in nearby Big Bear Lake, said trained animals that turn on their handlers are often destroyed.

"You can train them and use as many safety precautions as you can, but you're still taking a chance if you're putting yourself in contact with them," Richards said. "It's still a wild animal. Even though it may appear that the bear attacked for no reason, there was a reason. I'm sure Randy understands why it happened. They're not cold-blooded killers."

Native grizzly bears are extinct in California.

An unprovoked attacked? Doesn't seem likely. Seems like someone made a bad mistake and isn't willing to fess up!

Although, did they really think they could control a wild caught BEAR?!

Pawsitive Thinking
04-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Why did they not use a computer-generated bear and let the poor thing be! Tragic as this is for the trainer and his family I'm with the bear on this one

lizbud
04-23-2008, 01:13 PM
I read about this. I'm sorry the man was killed, but I'm sure he knew the
risks involved. This paragraph at the end says it all.

""You can train them and use as many safety precautions as you can, but you're still taking a chance if you're putting yourself in contact with them," Richards said. "It's still a wild animal. Even though it may appear that the bear attacked for no reason, there was a reason. I'm sure Randy understands why it happened. They're not cold-blooded killers."

ramanth
04-23-2008, 01:30 PM
A friend of the deceased posts on another board I belong too:

My friend Stephan Miller was killed today while working with Rocky the Grizzly at Predators in Action. Stephan "Gunslinger" Miller grew up working with wild animals. He produced movies and published Girls N Corpses magazine. Ive known Stephan for a couple of years and anytime he needed security for the girls he called me. We were going to get together this weekend at Fangoria's weekend of Horrors and discuss a movie idea and I was going to let him buy dinner (as usual). All of us are in shock. Stephan loved Rocky (the bear). I actually guarded Rockys cage the day of the Will Farrell shoot. That Grizzly has licked my face so this is all very surreal. They were saying on the news that its usual for them to put down an animal once it has attacked. I think it would break Stephan's heart if they did that.
Rest in Peace Bro...gonna miss ya.

I havent been able to get a hold of Randy yet...hes not taking calls...but He and Stephan are more like brothers then cousins. This has been their lives for many many years. Stephan was one of the mellowest most unassuming people have ever met in 'the business'. His passions were animals and making movies (scary). He was a big kid with a big heart.

Im afraid that the bear just got carried away. Rocky and Stephan were wrestling from what I understand and even a love bite from a 700 lb bear can be fatal.
I honestly dont know though. Stephan would never abuse or taunt Rocky so I just dont know.

Hey guys, thanks for teh well wishes but Im really hoping youll keep Stephans wife and kids in heart and prayers. I just got off the phone with another mutual friend and everyone is pretty much in shock. As I said we were all supposed to be at Stephans booth this weekend at Fango. As Stephen was the co-publisher of the mag we're all kind of at a loss right now. Obviously if the family decides theres going to be a memorial this weekend then that will take precedence. From what I was just told on the phone Stephan had only driven up to the compound for the day. I wasnt aware of a shoot coming up so at this point I dont know why he was working with Rocky. He planned on being back today and prepping for Fango. Right now Im jsut praying for his wife and kids. Needless to say those of us that worked with him and around him are all in a holding pattern right now. Again, I appreciate the well wishes but lets direct them all to his family right now. I know Randy is devastated and in shock right now.

Its funny but when we had Rocky at dark Delicasies in Burbank it was the day of the Will Farrell semi Pro shoot at Dodgers stadium. I was with Stephan at Dark D. when Randy showed up with the trailer with rocky in it. Rocky was very sweet and both Bai Ling and Alana Curry got their 'bear kiss'. However when some folks came outside with some cake Rocky immediately stood up and started shaken teh chain link on teh trailer. I backed everyone off and Randy and Stephan shut the doors. Rocky went from cuddly to hungry and when he started shaking that chain link I felt VERY vulnerable. You KNEW he could take that chainlink out without trying. My guess is something during the wrestling got him excited but until Randy says exactly what happened its all speculative. Rocky is cute but he is an apex predator. I have a nice pic of Stephan and Rocky from that event. How do I post it?

Tragic either way. RIP Stephan. My prayers go out for your family.

RICHARD
04-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Girls n Corpses magazine? :rolleyes:

Had it been Ferrel taking one on the neck how would the news have changed?

It don't take much to having a bear change attitude. I encountered a wild bear camping once and I'll never trust them, caged, tamed or even on the floor as a rug.

Don't be fooled-there is a great deal of animal abuse in the movie industry.
-----------------------

Does anyone remember the Tim McGraw movie a few years back?

One of the horses died on the set. There was an investigation into the incident and everything was deem on the up and up.

If you ever watch the credits where animals are used you will see the standard disclaimer about 'No animals were injured during the filming of this movie'.

I stumbled upon the end of that movie and they changed the line to something else....It said that there were 'animal people on the set'.

I wondered if a nice donation to an animal charity made things OK? :confused:

pitc9
04-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Girls n Corpses magazine? :rolleyes:

I noticed that too... give me a BREAK!!! WOW!

I feel so bad for his family, but they all knew what line of work he was in and he knew as well that he was risking his life everyday going to work and trying to train the "wild" out of wild animals. :(

It's sad for everyone.

RICHARD
04-30-2008, 12:54 AM
The guy that was killed was a web site designer and was filming the bear for the site, He was the cousin of the owner...