PDA

View Full Version : Wolf_Q is Nebo a Siberian Husky?

Blink
08-25-2002, 12:53 AM
Does he/she shed a lot?

DoggiesAreTheBest
08-25-2002, 01:14 PM
I am not Amy, but I know Nebo is a Siberian Husky. From what I heard, Sibes blow their coat and it is alot of hair. The ones that I have encountered do shed alot. But I think the type of food you give them and baths can help. Anna may be able to give you more information. She owns a Siberian Husky, Roxey.

sammi
08-25-2002, 01:59 PM
We got new neighbor's this past week and they have a pure breed Siberian Husky! Oh, he is pretty but I have not got a chance to pet him yet. Buddy, Abby and this new doggie all kissed through the fence so I hope that is a good sign!

anna_66
08-25-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
. Anna may be able to give you more information. She owns a Siberian Husky, Roxey.

Sourya, I didn't want to post since it was addressed to Amy (didn't want to upset anyone:) ), so I sent Blink a pm about it, but thanks for thinking of me!

wolf_Q
08-25-2002, 08:11 PM
Sourya, I didn't want to post since it was addressed to Amy (didn't want to upset anyone ), so I sent Blink a pm about it, but thanks for thinking of me!

It's not going to bother me any! Sorry I wasn't hear when you posted that. Yes, Nebo is a siberian husky. And yes, they do shed a lot. But since he's still a pup, I haven't experienced it first-hand yet. So Anna can probably answer your questions better! I can tell you what I've read about them if you want lol. :D

Blink
08-25-2002, 08:47 PM
So is it a 24/7 thing? Or is it only once a year when they, "blow" their coats? If it is 24/7 is it REALLY bad? Like so bad that it would make me not want one?

wolf_Q
08-25-2002, 10:14 PM
Well, Nebo is 3 months old so I know his shedding is not at it's full potential at all. But even at this age, I can brush him every day and get a pretty good sized gob of fur out of the brush. I haven't really seen any fur around the house or on my clothes, so I think if you brush them every day, it will help reduce the shedding. From what I *thought* they blow their coats 1-2 times a year, which is where they lose their undercoats. I think the majority of the shed hair is just their soft undercoats. I've also heard that the amount they shed depends on the climate. Sorry, I have several husky books but I can't exactly remember what it all says, and I haven't experienced the real shedding first-hand.

What is your dog situation? There are other factors that come into hand as far as wanting one. I've had dogs all my life, and I can tell you that a husky is not your average dog. I personally believe they are extremely intelligent, but can be quite stubborn also. And having a place to run is pretty important--I think Nebo would be stir crazy if he didn't have a yard to run in!

I'm new to the shedding thing myself! My other dogs are a schnauzer and poodle, which really don't shed at all! To me their coats vs. Nebo's coat is their coats grow really fast, need to be shaved ALL the time, get tangled easily, and tend to hold in odors real bad--huskies fur stays pretty nice, and it doesn't stink, so I guess it depends on which type of grooming you'd rather do.

anna_66
08-25-2002, 10:25 PM
Yep, your right Amy! It just all depends. I hear that having them in the house makes them shed more too. And like you said, I can brush Roxey everyday and always get lots of hair.....it's neverending!
And yes, they "blow coat" twice a year. and they don't stink:)

Blink
08-26-2002, 06:31 AM
Yea, well I was thinking about getting a husky. Right now I have a Cairn Terrier, and before I had a Boarded Collie.

primabella
08-26-2002, 08:19 AM
-welcome to pet talk- :P

wolf_Q
08-26-2002, 02:13 PM
Bearded Collie or Border Collie?

Well, let use know what you decide about getting another pup, and don't hesitate to ask any questions!

P.S. welcome to Pet Talk, I'd love to see some doggy pics! :)

Aspen and Misty
08-26-2002, 02:53 PM
I met someone today who has 3 huskie's and she said they shed a whole lot! She said they are woth it though. Just thought I would let you know

Blink
08-26-2002, 08:37 PM
Bearded Collie. Thanks for all the help guys.

*LabLoverKEB*
08-27-2002, 01:54 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid25/ped4070f28c3d09bb0d4f43fb62dd7624/fd87ec18.jpg

Isn't he just adorable? I just love him!:) ;)

Amy, Anna, do you know of any Siberian Husky websites?? Thanks!

anna_66
08-27-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by *LabLoverKEB*
Amy, Anna, do you know of any Siberian Husky websites?? Thanks!

Yep:D
I think this one is pretty cool Colors of the Siberian Husky (http://www.huskycolors.com/)
Siberian Huskies (http://www.siberescue.com/Breed_Info/BGardener.html)

These are two really good ones, at least I think!

*LabLoverKEB*
08-27-2002, 03:42 PM
Thanks Anna! Give Angus, Roxey, and Huney a big hug for me!:) ;)

anna_66
08-27-2002, 04:33 PM
Okey dokey, will do!

lv4dogs
09-06-2002, 03:56 PM
I have 2 husky mixes and used to have 3 purebreds and yes they shed 24/7 (well pretty darn close). I brush everyday and it does help. They are on a good diet which helps some too. They do shed more often twice a year during their blow out and I too think that being inside makes them shed worse (I do not know for sure as I never had any be outside dogs) but it is logic going from air conditioning (not too cold though) to the hot sun, then in winter going from heat to freezing. But I think thier hair is worth the love.

anna_66
09-07-2002, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
But I think thier hair is worth the love.

I totally agree with you!