PDA

View Full Version : Tuvok is at the vet and $1,100.00 later........HE'S GONE

jenluckenbach
04-20-2008, 02:17 PM
This morning, after I posted about how Tuvok would not eat this AM and how he threw up even though he did not eat, I ended up taking him to the emergency vet. He looked SSOOOOOO bad I just could not wait until tomorrow.

His xray showed a possible problem with his liver (but might need an MRI to confirm) It also showed that he is microchipped so we will try to locate an owner.

His blood work showed his blood sugar is super low so they are giving glucose with his fluids. He was close to going into shock. The vet calls him "critical".

I don't know much else except that the bill will be $700-$900 and I am not sure I can turn it over to One by One. And all this comes after $1450 worth of car repairs in the last 2 weeks. :eek: :eek: :eek: AND Rutherford's surgery. :( God, help me.

I will need to pick Tuvok up tomorrow morning from the emergency vet to take him into my own vet. Then we will see how to proceed.

Pray for him to make it. Pray hard! And pray I can find the funds to cover his expenses.

momcat
04-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear of poor little Tuvok's medical problems. Of course many prayers are on the way for both of you. With finding a microchip, I can't help but wonder if there's a family somewhere missing him. I don't want to think that he was abandoned. I'll pm you about helping out with your costs.

kimlovescats
04-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Oh dear! Too bad your vet or rescue didn't find his microchip at the beginning. I'm just wondering though if the owners "dumped" him knowing that he had a medical condition. :( I would definitely turn the receipts into your rescue, didn't he come through One By One? If so, then that's what they are there for!!! They shouldn't be able to pick and choose which ones they fund!

Hugs and Prayers!
Kim

jenluckenbach
04-20-2008, 03:16 PM
I would definitely turn the receipts into your rescue, didn't he come through One By One? If so, then that's what they are there for!!! They shouldn't be able to pick and choose which ones they fund!

It was MY OWN decision to take this cat. I am almost positive One by One would have said NO if they knew how sick he was. (Of course, I did not know how sick he was, either)

I am kicking myself for not remembering to ask them to check for a microchip. :mad: But I somehow have a feeling they aren't looking for him. I hope I am wrong.

Freedom
04-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Prayers for Tuvok.

Prayers for Jen's sanity.

Prayers for Jen's wallet!

Emeraldgreen
04-20-2008, 04:36 PM
I hope the owners can be found and that they are indeed missing him and that they will cover all his medical and care costs to date. Praying that this is the case!

catmandu
04-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Sadly His Owners May Have Known How Ill Tuvok Was That Ill And Just Dumped Him To Avoid Paying His Vet Bills.
My Doctor Tells Me That That Happens A Lot With Him.
We Are Praying That Tuvok Is Not Too Far Gone And Can Be Saved.

Bengalz
04-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Jen,

Tuvok has my prayers and certainly so do you. Let's hope he makes it and something feasible can be worked out for the vet bills.

Hugs to you and all your kitties.

Catty1
04-20-2008, 06:02 PM
HUGS.

I hope Tuvok comes back from the edge of shock and begins to eat...and that anything else is treatable...if his liver - it might be fatty liver disease from not eating? Which can be reversed in a lot of cases, right?

If you can get a bit of help from One By One, and some from us, hopefully that will cover the worst.

You KNOW we will help with your boys!

HUGS AGAIN!

Medusa
04-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Oh my goodness, it's a good thing that you took Tuvok in to the emergency clinic! Somehow you'll get through this, Jen, financially and otherwise, although I know what a strain it is on you and a drain on your finances. I can sympathize w/that, believe me. I just started work on my enclosed patio and told my cats "No one is allowed to get sick, ya hear me?". As it turns out, I have water damage and what started out as a simple door and floor installation is now going to be a tear out and reconstruction. Too late to turn back now, just as you can't undo the car repair bills. Somehow we always find a way. Please know that I'm praying for you and Tuvok, that all will reverse itself and that his previous family will be found and happy to have him back home.

phesina
04-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Prayers for you and Tuvok, that things work out well for both of you, Jen.

Hugs and purrs,
Pat and cats

phesina
04-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Prayers for you and Tuvok that things work out well for both of you, Jen.

Hugs and purrs,
Pat and cats

krazyaboutkatz
04-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear about Tuvok.:( I hope he'll start improving and feel better soon. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

ChrisH
04-21-2008, 04:59 AM
A nightmare. :( Prayers and positive thoughts for the both of you on the way.

jennielynn1970
04-21-2008, 06:01 AM
Awe... poor kitty (with Star Trek sounding name, lol). I hope he'll be ok.

Can you call Joyce and talk to her, or will Kathy W. ok it?? She's taken in a bunch of sick cats, even though they were sick, because they were pedigree. Or, put it back to Dr. Hess and see if she'd try to cover some of the $$ if you tell her 1x1 said no. The worst she can say is no, but you never know unless you ask.

Good luck!!

jenluckenbach
04-21-2008, 09:58 AM
$1,100.00 :eek: :eek:

I will never be able to recover that kind of money. :(

Catty1
04-21-2008, 10:24 AM
JEN - see if you can recover PART of it...you have worked some miracles for One by One. Give them the option of refusal.

And there is us! ;)

And how is Tuvok?

jenluckenbach
04-21-2008, 10:28 AM
I will be be trying to get reimbersed, but even so, I would love to be able to have some donations for him.

He is at the regular vet now. He is more alert. I don't really know very much right now.

Catty1
04-21-2008, 11:32 AM
I would love to be able to have some donations for him.

I think there is some work going on in the back rooms of PT... ;)

Tuvok is more alert? That is good news. Looking forward to more.

and I hope they trace the microchip...

GILL
04-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Jen - it may not be much but I would like to help, just let us know where and/or how to send.

jenluckenbach
04-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Tuvok's micro-chip traced to a local county shelter (Berks County). They cannot find a record on it. They think it might be an older adoption and was filed away. So they will check those older files and get back to me.

He is still at the vet on IV fluids. I am still not sure if he will be coming home tonight.

Anikaca77
04-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Jen, I get paid at the end of this month and I will try to send you want I can.

Please pm me your mailing address.

I'm so sorry for that high vet bill.

Melissa

Anikaca77
04-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Jen, I get paid at the end of this month and I will try to send you what I can.

Please pm me your mailing address.

I'm so sorry for that high vet bill.

Melissa

kb2yjx
04-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Jen!!! I just sent you a pm!!! I am so sorry to read about Tuvok!!! PRAYERS, PRAYERS, and EVEN MORE PRAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!HUGS and PRAYERS for you!!!

orangemm
04-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Please let me know if I can help in any way. (((hugs))) to you and gentle pats to Tuvok.

jenluckenbach
04-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Tuvok is home. I am about to attempt to feed him. He will be going to the vet for the next couple of days to receive IV fluids and monitoring.

We still have no idea if this is caused by a serious problem ir a simple one. Could be as simple as low glucose from not eating. Or it could be a tumor/mass causing problems.

But whatever it is, we have saved him from dying on the streets.

I pray he recovers. He is a wonderful boy.

kt_luvs_kitties
04-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Prayers on the way for Tuvok and Jen. I am so sorry :(

Do you have a personal Paypal link you could put up? I might be able to donate a tiny bit. That is one HUGE bill :eek:

Catty1
04-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Prayers for Tuvok. I hope he eats for you. How does he seem mood-wise, Jen?

Will be interesting to see what they find on the chip in the 'old' records.

Tuvok, live long and prosper. ;)

krazyaboutkatz
04-22-2008, 12:31 AM
Jen, I'm glad to hear that Tuvok is now home with you.:) I hope that he'll continue to do well and that he'll also start eating for you. He continues to remain in my thoughts and prayers.

jennielynn1970
04-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Did you talk to Kathy W.? She's the meezer lover and has pulled super sick meezers from shelters. If you can get her to say ok, and then get it together with Joyce, maybe it will be ok.

Pawsitive Thinking
04-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Have just done my first paid reading - once the funds arrive you can have them for Tuvok (the whole point of me doing the course was to help animals not make money). Do you have PayPal?

phesina
04-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Welcome home, dear Tuvok! Your meowmie Jen is going to do everything humanly possible to get you feeling better. And you have loads of people AND kitties all over the world (including us) praying for you and sending their love and healing energies and good wishes.

jenluckenbach
04-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Tuvok was scheduled to stay at the vet for the day, to receive IV fluids. But it was decided to place a feeding tube in him and keep him for a few days. Poor sweet boy. :(

kb2yjx
04-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Jen,did anything showed up in Tuvok's bloodwork??? Prayers that he pulls thru!

jenluckenbach
04-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Actually, his blood work (the first one) was good. Just a slight elevation in one of the liver enzymes.

At the ER, very low glucose levels. low potasium, high phosphorous.
Kidneys normal. I need to look up some of the abreviations to let you know about some other umbers that were a bit low. (ALB, ALKP, TP)

kb2yjx
04-22-2008, 06:50 PM
ALB= albumin, TP= total protein, ALKP= alkaline phosphatase(sp), maybe??

jenluckenbach
04-22-2008, 06:51 PM
ALB= albumin, TP= total protein, ALKP= alkaline phosphatase(sp), maybe??
OK, but what do they mean?

kb2yjx
04-22-2008, 07:01 PM
I sent you a pm.
Albumin- a liver indicator. Holds water in the blood vessels. Decreased in liver damage. INcreased in dehydration. Be right back...

kb2yjx
04-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Sorry- Total protein- includes albumin and large protein globulins. Increased in dehydration. Alkaline phosphatus(sp)- orgininates from many tissues in the blody. Elevation due to liver or bone disease.

jenluckenbach
04-22-2008, 08:30 PM
OK, this is some of what I found....

ALP (ALKP).....his is normal....this is the most important liver protein.

ALT...... a liver protein, his is the high end of normal.

TBIL (Bilirubin)..... causes jaundice in excess, his is normal.

His ALB s low

his TP is low

his Amyl is low

And glucose was very low, but I know that is back up now.

jenluckenbach
04-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Please see cat memorial. :(

Catty1
04-23-2008, 05:26 PM
What HAPPENED? :(

catmandu
04-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Jen you did all that you could to save Tuvok, sadly he was just too far gone. But he had the honor of being your Cat and being loved by you and did not pass away as a Stray but as a Luckenbach Cat.
And he will be there with All Your Angels to greet you in love.
One Fine Day.

cassiesmom
04-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Jen, I am so sorry.