PDA

View Full Version : Subscription emails.

jenluckenbach
04-18-2008, 05:14 AM
What could be a reason why I have not been receiveing the emails from pet of the day on the threads I subscribe to with instant notification??

Up until a few days ago I always got the emails. But lately, nothing. :confused:

Grace
04-18-2008, 06:40 AM
Just to cover all bases - have you checked your subscription list to make sure they are all listed? Did you look at your User CP to make sure instant notification is still checked?

If all those are correct, then I guess you need to talk with Karen and Paul.

jenluckenbach
04-18-2008, 02:55 PM
YUP, they still say instant.

And I m still not receiving them. :(

Karen
04-18-2008, 05:22 PM
What could be a reason why I have not been receiveing the emails from pet of the day on the threads I subscribe to with instant notification??

Up until a few days ago I always got the emails. But lately, nothing. :confused:

Have you checked to make sure they are not going to your spam or junk folder? Your email program may have started filtering them into there, but you can fix that by adding the petoftheday.com to your address book as an approved sender ...

We have not made any changes to the server in the last few days.

Jessika
04-18-2008, 06:10 PM
In addition to checking to make sure they are not being filtered to your spam folder, double check to make sure your email address is current (I've accidentally changed/edited mine before...).

Who is your provider? Are you using web-based or POP3 (through a program such as outlook)? If so, check those settings as well to make sure they are correct.

jenluckenbach
04-19-2008, 05:05 AM
This is frustrating. :eek:

Petoftheday is on my "whitelist". always has been. And now I added it to the address book too.....but still no emails. :(

Cinder & Smoke
04-19-2008, 09:56 AM
How'z come??

I tried to send myself a Pet Talk generated E-mail (NOT a PM) ...
and after I composed the e-mail, I got a Pet Talk pop-up alert
saying the "the member (ME) doesn't accept e-mails" ... (or words to that effect).

HUH? ... That's news to me!
Here's what's on my CP page >>>

Receive Email
From time to time, the administrators may want to send you email notices.
If you do not want to receive these notices, disable this option.
{checked} Receive Email from Administrators

You can allow other members to send you email messages.
{checked} Receive Email from Other Members

So ... why can't I get PT E-mails from other PTers???

I *DO GET* all my post and PM notification E-mails.

/s/ :confused: Phred

Grace
04-19-2008, 11:10 AM
For a test, I just tried to send Phred an email. Received this message -

Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help.

And the exact same message came up when I tried to send myself one.

Karen
04-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Somehow the emailing of other users had gotten turned off, we just turned it back on.

That, however, doesn't have anything to do with Jen's original problem!

Cinder & Smoke
04-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Somehow the emailing of other users had gotten turned off,
we just turned it back on.

:D

By Golly, the E-mailer *WORKS* again!

I sure did think it was kinda *phunnie* that SOOOOO Many folks had that
e-mail feature turned off ... forced me to clean up & expand my personal address book.
THEN I found out *mine* didn't work - sumpin smelt *phisshie* there!

THANKS, Mayor Karen & Side-Kick Mr. Paul!
:)

Cinder & Smoke
04-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I have not been receiveing the emails from pet of the day on the threads
I subscribe to with instant notification?? :confused:

Back to the Original Subject at Hand ...

Karen & Paul ~

For what it's worth ... my Subscribed Threads & PM Alert e-mails arrive rather
promptly - USUALLY.

But SOMEtimes I only get ONE when there have been two or more replies.
I KNOW the e-mail plainly states:
"There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again." ...

BUT I also get STRINGS of e-mails reporting each & every post to a thread
without me ever visiting the site to read any of them. :confused:

I've sometimes thought I hadn't received a posting e-mail because it's been LATE arriving -
sometimes it's been 10-15 minutes after I've seen & read the post on Pet Talk
that the e-mail arrives - but that's probably a hang-up out in cyber-space where the
message went 'round the world a few extra times before it hopped off in Ohio. :p

Long way of sayin I don't have a clue whe she doesn't get her notices! :(

Maybe the system draws straws on e-mails ...
*Long Straw = Ya get LOTS of alert e-mails
* Medium Straw = Ya only get "some"
* SHORT Straw = Nuffin!!

jenluckenbach
04-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Well, for whatever reason, today I recieved the 2 "pet talk mailers" on the threads that my user control panel state had new posts. Could it be working again?

Cinder & Smoke
04-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Could it be working again?

It's MAGIC ... just pure plain MAGIC!

:eek:
;)

jenluckenbach
04-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Looks like it is happening again. :( No emails on subscribed threads. RATS!

Jessika
04-28-2008, 03:53 PM
It *could* have something to do with the server they're currently on being "overloaded" when sending out subscription updates. Maybe since the server is slow loading the site, it's also backed up with sending out email updates too?

Karen
04-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Jen, are you checking your spam or junk folders?

jenluckenbach
04-29-2008, 05:08 AM
My spam doesn't go into a folder.

Karen
04-29-2008, 02:26 PM
What program do you use for email?

Jessika
04-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Some emails, like MSN, Hotmail or AOL, will automatically block email BEFORE it even goes to your folder, so it may not get sent to your spam folder at all because it never even makes it past their filters! It is their effort to control spam mail, but a lot of legitimate sites get blacklisted along with the bad ones and that could be a result.

jenluckenbach
04-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Webmail of my ISP......enter.net.

It has a spam filter. But I have it set to NOT delete email, just mark it as [SPAM]. I also have pet of the day on the "white list" to allow emails come through.

I have never had this problem before.

Jessika
04-29-2008, 04:59 PM

It has a spam filter. But I have it set to NOT delete email, just mark it as [SPAM]. I also have pet of the day on the "white list" to allow emails come through.

Sometimes though emails may get blocked by ISPs before they even hit your mailbox. Before you receive email on most major email services there are a series of filters they go through before you ever even see the message. In order to deter spam some ISPs have blacklisted certain domains known to spam. If enough members continually mark messages as spam from a particular domain then eventually most companies will add that to their blacklist, too. Even if someone else *wants* to receive emails from that domain.

I know AOL is really bad about this, and Hotmail can be, too. I'm not sure about your specific ISP, you may want to email them about it since you're receiving other messages without a problem correct? I would just drop them a line to see if they don't have petoftheday.com on their blacklist.

If they have it on their blacklist, it doesn't matter what settings you have on your end because it gets blocked before your personal spam filters can even "have a say in the matter", hehe.

Laura's Babies
04-29-2008, 06:09 PM
cough...cough... I have had a simalar problem for how long now (Karen?). I have had occasions where I had logged out and it would not take my password and had to hit the forgot my password button, then, never got the emails with a new one and after repeted trys, have to contact Karen. This has happened to me for a year or two now until I changed the address to send noticications to here on PT in October of 2007. This was the only place I had that happen but I just assumed it was my computer and forgot about it until I saw this.

Karen
05-02-2008, 01:49 AM

Jenn, I will try sending you an email right now, from my PetoftheDay.com email account. If you do not get it, let me know.

jenluckenbach
05-02-2008, 05:15 AM
I got the email AND the subscription mailer. WEIRD (but good).

Karen
05-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks for letting me know!