PDA

View Full Version : Dog Beds

Twisterdog
04-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Is anyone else frustrated by the lifespan of dog beds?

Granted I have a lot of dogs, so I have eight dog beds to mess with. I can't buy the round foam ones with a fabric cover, because my dogs KNOW there is fun-to-shred foam in there somewhere, and they WILL get it out.

I normally buy the ones with an outside cover, and an inner bag filled with stuffing. But, one of two things happen fairly quickly ... either the zipper breaks on the cover after one or two washes, or the stuffing gets compacted and nasty.

I seem to spend a small fortune replacing dog beds. Does anyone have any better solutions? And does anyone have any ideas for an inexpensive material to re-stuff them with?

Thanks!

Kfamr
04-17-2008, 05:37 AM
We just grabbed couch cushions from someone who was throwing their couch away and restuffed our 6 dog beds. They're nice and firm, but comfy now. :)

kittycats_delight
04-17-2008, 06:41 AM
What about using shredded foam or foam chips. You can get them at just about any craft store or walmart carries it as well. It is a pretty big bag and costs less than $10 last time I got one.

Pam
04-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Can't help you there. My dogs' bed is my bed. :p

*LabLoverKEB*
04-17-2008, 06:27 PM
I have found that the dog beds that Costco (may be Sam's club where you are) are very nice, big, but nice! They somehow repel doggy odors, and I love that! Good luck! :)

Chica
04-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Make covers with ties at the end about 6 in a row. Use denim like levi's. It is very durable. You can make it yourself. Use whatever kind of cushions you want. I think the best idea is cushions from a couch. ;)IT would make a fun project. :)

Twisterdog
04-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Hmmmm .... couch cushions, good idea.

So is the foam stuff. We don't have a craft store here, but we have a Walmart. I'll look for them.

Chica, maybe a fun project for someone ... but I don't even sew buttons on. LOL

Thanks for the input, everyone.

anna_66
04-18-2008, 07:47 AM
I have to admit one of our bed has held up wonderfully (4 years). We had bought it for Angus, but now it's Roxey's (the one she's 1/2 laying on:o)
I only get ones with the egg crate filling inside. I've tried other ones but they just don't last, like you've said.
I'm reading your post again...oops, sounds like this isn't a good option for you...lol!

Christian's Mommy makes nice mats if you'd be interested in that. I have one in Bon's crate and one covering his bed (it has some holes:o)
They are very nice.

Hope you can find something that works for your group!

Freedom
04-18-2008, 07:52 AM
My 4 dogs, though small, are going through beds quickly as well. They seem to feel the need for a MAJOR CONSTRUCTION project prior to settling down, each and every time. In addition to their OWN beds, they've 'dug' holes in TWO comforter covers on MY bed in the past 8 months! :rolleyes:

Sorry no help here, just sympathy, lol.

clara4457
04-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Kind of off topic, but I work at University of Buffalo and my office is in the same building as one of the larger dorms. Every spring when the dorms close for the summer, there are tons of items left behind by the students that can make wonderful dog beds. I've picked up memory foam, mattress pads, blankets, comforters, foam mattresses, pillows, towels, bath mats (great for crates), etc. I've even picked up some cheesy furniture I use in the cat foster room. Our university has large dumpsters they put out for just this purpose, but if you call student services, they might allow you to put out donation cans or allow you to dumpster dive. (It's not as bad as it sounds - these are household items, not garbage). The students don't want to transport them, so this is perfectly good stuff that is left behind.

I make the rounds, take things that I think would be useful, take them to a large laundry mat and wash it all in one of the large item washing machines and then I have dog beds and cat bed galore - at very little cost.

I have so many foster dogs and cats, that I sometimes have to throw items away for sanitation purposes. Plus if I have a foster dog with "bladder problems", once they are trained, I get rid of anything that might still have urine smells on it.

Just a thought.