PDA

View Full Version : V8 races ...big event for my city.....

carole
04-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Well my city is about to be swamped with visitors around 160,000 approx, from aussie, all over nz and further afield, we have secured the big V8 races in our city for the next seven years.

I am not a huge racing fan, but it is exciting all the same, lots of the streets have been blocked off, and lots of preparations are all finished now for the big event starting tomorrow, it goes fri,sat and sunday, sunday being the big day,of course there will be a bit of inconvenience for us all, traffic jam's, finding alternative way's to get from A to B, but hopefully be worth it for our city, i think it is costing like 7.2 million over the seven years, so i hope we actually make some money from it as well, otherwise no doubt us ratepayer's will foot the bill.

The weather has been beautiful up until this week, we have had nothing but rain, but it is much needed as we are in a drought, first in 100 yrs, supposed to clear up sat and sunday, i hope so as it won't be too pleasant for the people ,if they are sitting and standing in the rain, i will only be watching it from the comfort of my lounge and only a little bit of it at that.

I don't think i will be venturing out much this weekend, not one for crowds,they are offering free buses from thursday on and the kids even got to break up two days early for their school holidays, because of the traffic expected, be hard for them to get to and fro, so melissa is ok with that for sure.

Well just thought i would share. :)

phesina
04-16-2008, 07:46 PM
How exciting! What fun for you! (Aside from when you're trying to drive somewhere.)

I hope it goes well for all concerned and you have a pleasant time.

carole
04-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks just hoping for the weather to pick up, still a bit on the dicey side at the moment.

Killearn Kitties
04-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Sounds exciting Carole. Nightmare if you are trying to go somewhere quickly, of course, but should be a good atmosphere with all those visitors. Sometimes people spend more if the weather is bad - go for a hot drink to get in out of the rain, some kind of plastic hood if it is really bad - not to mention that it changes the racing.

carole
04-17-2008, 06:48 PM
well that is true too of course, however the weather is good now, bit cloudy and a possibility of a shower or two, but so far looking good, sunday is the big day and it is forecast for bright sunshine, i can hear the cars today, it is the practice run, quite loud really, i would hate to be there, as we are a bit away,and you can hear them pretty good.

RICHARD
04-18-2008, 04:06 AM
What kind of racing is it?

Dirt, street? I'm guessing it might be rally cars?

Killearn Kitties
04-18-2008, 04:26 AM
You are going to have to get down there Carole, and give us a full report - with pictures! ;) :D

carole
04-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Ah Richard my mate, i thought you might venture here, it is street racing, circuit, does that make sense, i am not very noise tolerant Karen, i don't think i could handle it, it is pretty noisy here and i am quite a way from it, but hearing it ,does make it exciting, my son is coming down on sunday for the big final race,he got a ticket at the last minute, he was bummed out though as his sister firm got given corporate box tickets, he nearly got some but missed out, he is getting a free ride down in the bureau van, but they are off to the corporate box whereas he has just a General Admission and pit pass,never mind maybe next year, i will be in my corporate box here at home watching it on the telly with all my comforts.

Melissa was in town yesterday and she got a wee look over the barriers, said it was pretty kewl, she liked seeing the flames under the cars lol.

Well we have secured it for the next seven years here and are hoping to get more if we can, so it is all good,hopefully the city will benefit from it. :)

Cinder & Smoke
04-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Ah Richard my mate, i thought you might venture here, it is street racing,
circuit, does that make sense ...

Melissa was in town yesterday and she got a wee look over the barriers,
said it was pretty kewl, she liked seeing the flames under the cars lol.

Seems like V8 Supercar is the NASCAR of Australia and New Zeland.

Here's a *link* to the Hamilton Race on Sunday >>>

http://www.v8supercar.co.nz/

:D

carole
04-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks for posting the link, to say it was a huge success is an under statement, it is going to be better and bigger next year, i am a holden fan, and was thrilled holden won the overall event, i am not sure though, i think it may have been an aussie guy who won, ah well can't win them all, yes we don't like to be beaten by the aussie's, a healthy rivalry goes on between the two countries, some of it in good fun, some of it not, but i like my aussie friends, and treat it as a bit of fun myself.

My son ended up in the corporate box for a short time, not sure how he winged that one, but will get all the details when he rings me tonight, he text me and told me he had a great time.

So yes looking forward to the event next year,lots of fun.