PDA

View Full Version : can someone tell me what nikkita is please....

carole
04-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Until i became a member here i never knew about calico's,tuxedo's, i knew about tortie's but not diluted one's etc, i think Nikkita would be classed as a tortie,or is she a calico? i am not sure, can anyone tell me what you think she is? her mum is a calico, that i do know for sure, but she has very different markings, would like your expert opinion's, thanks.

Jessika
04-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Her "breed" would be Domestic Shorthair (which is basically the feline equivalent of "mutt") since most housecats are so mixed determining a specific breed can be so hard to do.

Her markings, however, look calico from the picture you've described, since in order to be a "true" tortie you can not have any white. Do you have any other pictures of her to see her markings better?

http://www.thecatsite.com/general/colors.html

Check out that link for more information on coat patterns and colors :)

kb2yjx
04-15-2008, 06:02 PM
I think she might be a WHITE tortie!!! Our Miss BooBoo Kitty was similar in colour!!! I showed her photo to a Cat Show judge, for years I thought she was a calico, but was told she was a white tortie!!! Your girl is a beauty!!!

Jessika
04-15-2008, 06:03 PM
I think she might be a WHITE tortie!!! Our Miss BooBoo Kitty was similar in colour!!! I showed her photo to a Cat Show judge, for years I thought she was a calico, but was told she was a white tortie!!! Your girl is a beauty!!!
A white tortie? Do you mean a tortoiseshell with white? Her colors aren't intermixed though, and by definition from that picture she still looks like a Calico to me, just more predominantly black and white than red.

EDIT: Ah, she may be a tortoise-shell calico with white now that I take a second look.

It's just really hard to tell from a pic of her on her back. Do you have any side views?

Tora Oni
04-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Well according to Cat Fancy Association I am positive her coat is a Diluted Calico also called Muted or Pastel Calico. Sometimes you will find a cat half way between a Tortie and Calico. Torties or just very blended looking as Calicos tend to be more patches and blothches. The diluted ones are gray and tan or fawn rather than black and dark oranges. I love Calicos and Torties I want a long hair one since their my favorite. By the way Nikkita is a doll. :D

Jessika
04-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Well according to Cat Fancy Association I am positive her coat is a Diluted Calico also called Muted or Pastel Calico. Sometimes you will find a cat half way between a Tortie and Calico. Torties or just very blended looking as Calicos tend to be more patches and blothches. The diluted ones are gray and tan or fawn rather than black and dark oranges. I love Calicos and Torties I want a long hair one since their my favorite. By the way Nikkita is a doll. :D
Naw, she doesn't look dilute at all; dilutes are grey and cream, not black and orange :)

Regardless I think it will be mush easier with a better photo.

EDIT: On my monitor, she looks black and orange; but I can see how some could think it's dilute, so it could be my monitor playing with the colors, but to me its being displayed at black and orange. :(

carole
04-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Thank you for all that information, yes i did think she was some kind of tortie girl, but mum is a calico,maybe she is a cross between the two, here are some other pics, see what you think, oh i know she is a doll, purrsonality wise as well believe me she is the best kitty ever,btw we call them moggies down under, your feline equivalent to the mutt,yes i knew she was a moggy.

The last pic is a close up of her mother, so you can compare.

Jessika
04-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Still hard to tell from the pics because of the flash whether she is black and orange or grey and cream, can you confirm? Regardless she is a tortie with white (or dilute tortie with white if she is cream and grey).

Mama looks like she may be a tortie with white, also :)

carole
04-15-2008, 06:32 PM
she is more black with orange, although i would not call it orange, mum is orange, she is more caramel -beige colour and she does have some grey in her too, but more black, but she is not orange really, mum is bright orange in comparison , oh i was sure mum was a calico from pics just like her on PT, but hey i don't really know that is why i am asking. :)

Bengalz
04-15-2008, 07:06 PM
She is gorgeous :D Sorry I can't tell you much more than that but I can certainly appreciate her beauty :)

moosmom
04-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Carole,

She is beautiful!! She's definitely a Calico. Torties are mostly black and brown with maybe a splotch of white (Mollie Rose's "splotch" is on her belly).

If you look in my siggy, you'll see Shortie, who is a calico Munchkin.

Freedom
04-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Under TICA guidelines, she would be called Calico, which is Tortoiseshell with White. She may be dilute as the 'red' is not a striking red or orange but a bit muted.

Here is the link to TICA's color information.

http://www.seregiontica.org/Colors/intro.htm

When you get to the bottom click on the "Torties / Torbies" and also on the "With Whites" and you will get to see photo examples as well.

Here is another interesting discussion of color:

http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/tricolors.shtml

From the above:

The difference between a calico and a tortoiseshell is this:

With a calico, there is a significant amount of white, and the two colors are broken up into distinct patches. This has to do with the interaction of white spotting.

With a tortoiseshell, the three colors are blended and don't form distinct patches. A tortoiseshell may have significant portions of white as well, but the remaining colors are blended (this particular pattern is called a tortoiseshell and white).

A torbie, or patched tabby, is a tortoiseshell where the tabby pattern is very distinct all over the cat. A calico or tortoiseshell may have distinct tabby pattern on the red or cream patches (has to do with another gene we won't get into at this juncture), but no patterning on the other color. This isn't a torbie. A torbie is clearly patterned all over the cat -- though never on the white.

So under this classification, she would be tortoiseshell and white, as her colors are blended not distinct patches.

carole
04-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Wow thanks guy's that was interesting to read Freedom, i appreciate your research on my behalf, now Donna were you talking about Ellie- she is a calico in my opinion as she looks like your mollie-rose munchkin doesn't she?or am i completely and utterly confused lol :)

Catty1
04-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Gosh - she looked like a Tuxie and a Calico to me...so I came up with Tuxico for her type!

Gorgeous girl - and her mom is just stunning! I love the momcat's black chin, and she looks like she has a happy 'kitty smile' on her face! :)

kimlovescats
04-15-2008, 09:55 PM
She definitely is unique in that she has the gray and a more black shade. However, since her orange is more beige/golden, I would say she is more closely a dilute calico. Very beautiful and unique she is! :)

carole
04-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Aww I like that name a tuxico, how cute and original of you, yes both girls are indeed rather gorgeous, after being on PT i saw many calico's and tortie's and fell in love with them, little did i know i would become the proud owner of these two sweetie's, they are exactly what i would have chosen, had i been given the choice, i love Nikkita's little face, it looks like she has a mask on one side, so purrfect really, amazing how striking their markings can be isn't it?

Thank you for the lovely comments, yes i am indeed proud of my two rescue kitties. :)

Fuzzybuns
04-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Expert opinion?

Yeah, ...I'm pretty sure Nikkita is a c-a-t.

:D ;)

carole
04-16-2008, 05:20 AM
You are so smart Fuzzybuns, i laughed when i read your comment he he :) ;)

Freedom
04-16-2008, 08:10 AM
You are so smart Fuzzybuns, i laughed when i read your comment he he :) ;)

Oh GOOD one! Love it!

Carol, I actually have those sites bookmarked, as I keep forgetting what my Cuddles is! :rolleyes:

carole
04-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Aww cuddles is so darn cute, what is cuddles then? infact all your pets are adorable. :)

catmandu
04-16-2008, 05:40 PM
How about TUXICO!!
Its hard to catergorize some Cats as they sometimes will take different markings from each of thier parents, or even from grand parents.
Thats is waht makes breeding Cats a gamble.
I certainly do agree that Cuddles is one Beautiful Lady Cat , and All of the Boy Found Cats agree!!!

Catlady711
04-16-2008, 10:24 PM
I haven't read the other replies so forgive me if someone has already answered this.

The breed would be a DSH (domestic shorthair) which isn't really a breed it's a heinz 57 (mixed breeds).

According to THIS SITE (http://www.seregiontica.org/Colors/withwhite/withwhite.htm) your cat's color is a Tortishell with white. :)

carole
04-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Thank you, aren't cats colour's fascinating , i love my two girls multi colour's,they are so pretty to me,yes gary Tuxico was mentioned before, i think that is rather cute myself. :)

Jessika
04-17-2008, 05:54 PM
I haven't read the other replies so forgive me if someone has already answered this.

The breed would be a DSH (domestic shorthair) which isn't really a breed it's a heinz 57 (mixed breeds).

According to THIS SITE (http://www.seregiontica.org/Colors/withwhite/withwhite.htm) your cat's color is a Tortishell with white. :)
Yes you are correct, I think I mentioned that in my first post, but it is a common misconception that calicos, torties, etc are breeds when really they are just coat colors. The "average" cat you get at a shelter is a DSH, DMH or DLH, which yeah is just a "mutt" :)

carole
04-17-2008, 06:36 PM
I already knew she was as you call it a mutt, we call her a moggy here, that is the feline name for a mutt, i was just wanting to know her colour, whether calico or tortie,lol, so have found the information you all gave very interesting, although a bit confusing, so is she a tortie-with white. :)

Catty1
04-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Carol, I posted this a while ago, it's a really interesting face of a tortie at our Humane Society. As you can see, she was adopted!

http://www.cochranehumane.ca/images/animals/cats/adopted/havana.adp.jpg

carole
04-17-2008, 09:41 PM
aww what a cutie patootie, almost as cute as my nikki :) ;)

jennielynn1970
04-18-2008, 08:27 AM
My Sophie is a DLH Dilute Calico.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/sophie.jpg

My Finae is a DSH Dilute Tortie
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/HPIM0841.jpg

carole
04-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Oh my gosh your kitties are simply stunning, thanks for sharing, i am in love.

DJFyrewolf36
04-18-2008, 07:26 PM
She looks like Hoodinis mother lol. I wondered at her markings too. The kittens came out that color but they had tabby stripes too :confused: Hoodini was the only solid colored one out of the whole bunch

Your kitty is absolutely adoreable, that much I can tell!

carole
04-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Yep i think Nikki know' s just how gorgeous she is, as i keep telling her that at least three times a day. :D