PDA

View Full Version : Am I Wrong

mina'smomma
04-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Okay really have a situation that I need to vent. When Cadience was 14 weeks old the doctor told me to put her on ceral twice a day because she was drinking anywhere from 12-16 ozs of formula every two hours. She said that this was not normal for a child her age. I got yelled at by this lady that works in the nutrition department for that. We were told at her last check up to start giving her a jar of veggies with each feeding and cut her formula intake to 24 ozs a day. Guess what again I'm getting yelled at. This time my husband and I are being accused of being selfish and forcing food on my daughter for our own personal sake. :mad: She has even gone as far as to say she is going to report me to Child Protective Services. :eek: According to her doctor Cadience is healthy and happy and still quite advanced for her age. As a matter of fact they think that my due date might of been wrong and she was actually suppose to be due in October. This lady has got me in major tears because I don't want my little angel to be taken away from us. :( I just don't know what to do. If they come and take her away I don't think I could stand it. Am I wrong to being doing what the doctor is telling me? Should I just listen to the nutritionist and all these baby books?

moosmom
04-15-2008, 01:36 PM
I'd find another pediatrician and get a second opinion. I mean it's not like you've got experience in this. I know I didn't. Children should come with instruction manuals.

mina'smomma
04-15-2008, 01:40 PM
I'd find another pediatrician and get a second opinion. I mean it's not like you've got experience in this. I know I didn't. Children should come with instruction manuals.

That is the crazy thing Donna. The pediatrician that I called says the same thing the doctor did. Normally he doesn't recommend ceral that young, but with what she was eating in formula it is what he would of done too.

moosmom
04-15-2008, 01:46 PM
If you've got 2 doctors saying the same thing, then chances are they're right. As far as that yahoo that's yelling at you...tell her to take a hike. You are doing what you're told for your child. You're new at this, cut you some slack already!!!

Tell the chick from the nutrition department if she's gonna yell at anyone, it should be the doctor's giving the instructions, not you!!

Now calm down and pamper yourself, okay??

caseysmom
04-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Who is the nutritionist? I never took my kids to one, just curious.

mina'smomma
04-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Who is the nutritionist? I never took my kids to one, just curious.

She works with low income mothers and comes by my office on a regular basis. I've read the books and I know they say not to start foods until 4 mths, but wouldn't the doctor think about other alternatives before saying start your baby on ceral?

caseysmom
04-15-2008, 03:38 PM
She works with low income mothers and comes by my office on a regular basis. I've read the books and I know they say not to start foods until 4 mths, but wouldn't the doctor think about other alternatives before saying start your baby on ceral?

It sounds like you are getting conflicting medical advice, let her report you, your doctor is saying she is thriving. I am sure that is scary but they won't take her away for that.

Medusa
04-15-2008, 04:04 PM
I feel like I've slipped into a parallel universe here. Some nutritionist is yelling at you and is threatening to report you because you're feeding your baby what your doctor told you to feed her? Who is this person and what authority does she have anyhow? That would be the day that I'd let anyone tell me how to raise my child, let alone some know-it-all who feels she can say something like that to a young mother. Good grief, what is this world coming to?! I'd report her for threatening you!

Freedom
04-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Can you make a phone call to the doc's office and have them put it in writing? Then let her vent all she wants and report her as Mary suggested.

You don't need any MORE grief in your life, you have your first baby in the house for goodness sakes and, (not having any personal knowledge) from what I hear that in itself is a handful! You don't need someone else adding on.

lizbud
04-15-2008, 05:15 PM

I thought it was pretty normal to start a baby on cerials about then. I
know mine did. When the baby drinks that much in a day, she's still
hungry & would benefit from having cerial in between or with her formula.

carole
04-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Lizbud, they have changed their way of thinking on introducing solids now, they recommend not until six months of age here, i know when i had both my children it was 3 to 4 months, all i can say is my children are healthy well adjusted young people, so obviously it did not harm them in any way.

I don't know or understand why they have changed their ideas on this, but i know because my niece was told this with her baby,they are changing things all the time, when i had my son they said put him on his tummy to sleep ,now that is a huge NO NO, honestly it become's so confusing.

If you are getting this advice from your doctor,then i would imagine it would be fine, and who the heck is the person threatening to report you, who does she think she is,good grief you are not abusing your daughter by doing what you have been told, how awful for you,do as other's have suggested get a second opinion even a third if necessary, so that you have the confidence in yourself that you are doing the right thing, good luck.

Jessika
04-15-2008, 06:08 PM
First off, no one is going to take your child away even if this "nutritionalist" reports you to child services because you are doing as your doctor is telling you to do.

Is she overweight? Is she malnourished? Is she growing adequately? Is she healthy?

All yes? Then there is NO reason to worry and NO reason the nutritionalist should be sticking her nose in that when clearly she is doing fine by DR's orders...

The nutritionist could be a little more professional and HELP you instead of "yelling" at you and making you feel like a bad mother, imo...

To be honest, I'd get a second opinion on her diet, AND a new nutritionalist... one who is a little more professional.

kimlovescats
04-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Oh good grief!!! :rolleyes: Honey, you are her mother and mothers still have instincts that tell them what their child needs! If you trust your pediatrician and your baby girl is growing and healthy and not fussy then tell that nosy "you know what" to shut up! My best advice is to quit telling everyone your business! The more you tell, the more they will try to control you! If they ask how Cadience is doing, just say "she is a healthy, happy baby"! If they ask specific questions, just find a way to avoid answering them!

HUGS,
Kim

sumbirdy
04-15-2008, 11:40 PM
We started Nathan on cereals at about 3 months. We had one of those....argh....what do you call them....it looks like a bottle but on the bottom it has this thing where you can push it up. It's made just for cereals and stuff. Anyway, he started cereals around the same age Cadience did. Nathan was a chunky baby and would eat almost anything and he ate a lot. Now he's slimmed down and will only eat chicken and oatmeal.

As for that lady...let her report you. She'd just look like an idiot afterwards. If Cadience is happy, healthy, and there are no signs of abuse, then they can't take her. I wouldn't worry about it.

And you can't really "force" a baby to eat anything. As far as I remember, at her age, don't they spit it out when they're full? And how in the world would forcing her to eat benifit you and your husband? :confused:

Muddy4paws
04-16-2008, 03:26 AM
What a rude woman. Tell her to keep her nose out when it isnt wanted or needed. I would be very insulted if someone was speaking to me like that. If you didn't care you wouldn't of seeked advice from professionals so she has no need to critisize. Let her phone to child protection, at the end of the day you have asked 2 professionals their advice its not like you are sitting about neglecting your child, You have seeked help from professionals! I highly doubt the childrens protection would see that as neglect!

She is your baby, you know whats best for her.

Pawsitive Thinking
04-16-2008, 04:50 AM
The trouble with these baby books is that the babies don't actually read them so each one develops at their own pace. You are doing exactly what is right for your little one so don't take any more so-called advice from that nutrionist.

mina'smomma
04-16-2008, 07:17 AM
Thank you everyone for your support. I spoke to Cadience's doctor yesterday and called yet another pediatrician and both said the same that she was started on food early because she was eating too much formula and not getting the proper sleep for a baby because she was waking up every hour and half to two hours. According to the doctors (like everyone here has told me) babies develop at a different rates. She was 15 lbs and 25 inches long at her last check up. They say she is developing faster than most babies and is in like the 95th precentile except her weight. (she is a little lighter than the doctor was expecting) She is a healthy thriving baby and I spoke to CPS too. Unless she was malnourished and abused they wouldn't remove her from us. The lady actually laughed when I told her what happened. She said her son was just like Cadience and that I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks again everyone. I'm glad to know that I can come here with my fears and won't be judged. I love coming here. :D

BitsyNaceyDog
04-16-2008, 07:45 AM
First off, no one is going to take your child away even if this "nutritionalist" reports you to child services because you are doing as your doctor is telling you to do.

Is she overweight? Is she malnourished? Is she growing adequately? Is she healthy?

All yes? Then there is NO reason to worry and NO reason the nutritionalist should be sticking her nose in that when clearly she is doing fine by DR's orders...

The nutritionist could be a little more professional and HELP you instead of "yelling" at you and making you feel like a bad mother, imo...

To be honest, I'd get a second opinion on her diet, AND a new nutritionalist... one who is a little more professional.
I agree with Jessica. You have NOTHING to worry about, no one can take her away from you for following you pediatrician's advise to add cereal.

While normally it's not advised to start solids until 4-6 months (more often 6, but some start at 4) there is always an exception to the 'rule'. Babies at that generally cannot be over fed and they should eat as much as they want. 12-16 oz every 2 hours is a LOT though. I've heard of a lot of pediatrician's recommend giving cereal to very hungry babies to help them feel full, especially at night. A lot of people start cereal before 6 months and fruits and vegetables at 6 months.

pregnancy.org (http://www.pregnancy.org/bulletinboards/) is a great place to talk to other parents. They have "birth boards" you can join and talk to other mothers who have babies the same age as your baby- here is the November '07 (http://www.pregnancy.org/bulletinboards/forumdisplay.php?f=557) board.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Oops... I started to write a reply, then I had tend to Nathan and by the time I came back to submit the reply you had given an update. I'm glad you got some piece of mind from talking to the doctors and the lady at Child protective services. (That's what CPS is, right?) I think the nutritionist is just a crazy lady who is too stuck in her ways.

JenBKR
04-16-2008, 01:23 PM
That's ridiculous. You are just following doctor's orders, and every baby is different. Can you get a different nutritionist? Do you have to visit a nutritionist at all? I can't see what harm it would do to a baby anyway to give him a little cereal earlier than 4 months. If it makes you feel any better, we starting putting a little bit of cereal in Ty's nighttime bottle earlier than 4 months. It made such a difference, he wasn't waking up nearly as much to eat. You are a wonderful mother, don't let that crazy woman make you think any different.

JenBKR
04-16-2008, 01:28 PM
The trouble with these baby books is that the babies don't actually read them so each one develops at their own pace. You are doing exactly what is right for your little one so don't take any more so-called advice from that nutrionist.

You can always make me laugh Neesy :D We should make those babies read the book so they can all develop at the exact same pace!

Just thought of this.....my friend had a baby a few weeks before me, and her doctor had the baby on cereal when she was about a week old. Her little girl has some reflux, and for some reason the cereal in the bottle seems to help with that.

MoonandBean
04-16-2008, 01:32 PM
A lot of infants are put on cereal at a young age simply due to major reflux (spitting up way too much) so we know it's safe and done for several reasons.

Don't waste anymore energy worrying about it..that lady must be unhapy in her own life; just feel sorry for her. Maybe she needs a new pet? :)

MoonandBean
04-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Just thought of this.....my friend had a baby a few weeks before me, and her doctor had the baby on cereal when she was about a week old. Her little girl has some reflux, and for some reason the cereal in the bottle seems to help with that.[/QUOTE]

OMG....I just posted that (great minds think alike :) )

JenBKR
04-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Just thought of this.....my friend had a baby a few weeks before me, and her doctor had the baby on cereal when she was about a week old. Her little girl has some reflux, and for some reason the cereal in the bottle seems to help with that.

OMG....I just posted that (great minds think alike :) )[/QUOTE]

haha I think we posted at about the same time ;)

carole
04-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Glad to hear you have got things sorted and you are at peace with your decision to follow the doctor's orders,sorry that you had to go through this, and that woman who told you they would take her off you, should be fired for sure, how ridiculous, gosh there are too many real neglect and abuse case's going on in this world of our's, they need to concentrate on those.