PDA

View Full Version : Cuddles, Chestnut & Vita had their annual vet visit

Freedom
04-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Yesterday afternoon I took three kitties in for the annual visit.

Cuddles checked out fine; got her rabies and leukemia shots. $86.50

Chestnut is overweight, having gained almost 2 pounds since last year. (I didn't bother telling the vet it was really since January. When Tommy and Tuppence moved in, I stopped segregated feeding; oops! ) He also got rabies and leukemia shots. $86.50. He GAVE swats, hisses, growls, snarls and jabs. :rolleyes: Didn't get anyone with his teeth but he did manage to scratch up me and the vet tech. Eventually they used a towel and those long heavy gloves to hold him.

Vita got her check up and both shots. Both of her front dewclaws were impacted/ ingrown so those had to be taken care of. And we did the blood work to find out why she is still losing weight. The urinalysis suggests her kidneys aren't functioning well. Will get the results by Thursday.

Total bill was $396. and change. :eek:

kimlovescats
04-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Yikes, those fees seem high to me! :eek: Have you compared prices with other vets in your area?

Well, I am happy to hear that Cuddles and Chubby Chestnut ;) checked out fine! That's wonderful news! I have one that tends to eat more than his fair share as well! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear that Vita is still losing weight. I pray that the bloodwork shows nothing too serious and that can be easily treated! Please keep us updated on! I've never heard of impacted dew claws ... that must be painful! Poor girl!

catmandu
04-15-2008, 03:33 PM
We Are Praying For Vita That The Test Turn Out To Be Positive. If The Total Was 396, And 173 Was For The First Two Cats, Then 223 Is Not That Far Out Of Line For Tests And Impacted Claws.
We Are Sending Many Prayers That Vita Is Fine And That There Is Nothing Serious Wrong With Him.

KittyGurl
04-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Glad to hear that Cuddles and Chestnut are doing good. Sorry to hear that Vita is losing weight. We all here are praying that nothing serious is wrong with Vita. Keep us updated.

Medusa
04-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Everything seems to be going up in price so I'm not surprised at the vet fees. For a while, I thought I couldn't get out of my vet's office for anything under three digits. I sure hope that all goes well w/Vita so that she can join Cuddles and Chestnut w/a good report. :)

Freedom
04-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Yikes, those fees seem high to me! :eek: Have you compared prices with other vets in your area?

Tried another vet with the foster dogs last Autumn. His fees were almost 1/3 less. (I mean 1/3 less BEFORE the rescue discount, so it was quite a bit less than what I was used to seeing.) In 3 months, I had 4 mixed up medications, almost killed my Bobby! And the delay in filling a script for Ozzy's eye (10 days with no meds!!) could have cost him the eye. Not worth it.

I've never heard of impacted dew claws ... that must be painful! Poor girl!

I'd only heard of ingrown declaws here on PT in the last month, someone else posted about it with one declaw on their cat (don't recall who). My vet said some cats are prone to it as they age and once they get it, they get it repeatedly.

Bengalz
04-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Those vet visits can really add up :eek: but it is good to know the state of the world with your baby kits.

I'm sorry to hear that Vita is having problems and will keep all paws and claws crossed for good results. Urine tests (as we have discovered) can sometimes be inconclusive and follow-up tests show different results. Did the vet check for internal parasites? Weight loss can mean many different things??

Praying for good news ....

Freedom
04-16-2008, 04:51 PM
So we got the blood test report for Vita. All is fine!

This makes me nuts. Sparkle and Vita are both losing weight and we don't know why. Sparkle is now eating 5 times per day, while the rest eat 3 times. (She had been on 3 meals per day.) Blood tests and urinalysis all look fine on both cats. The vet suggested feeding them both some canned food once per day.

So I guess this is good news. Just puzzling!

Catty1
04-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Wonderful news!

Maybe with spring weather on the way, they are just friskier and losing a few ounces?

I don't recall how old Vita is, and I hate any declawing surgery...but would it be worth removing the dewclaws so she doesn't have any more pain with them? Or can they be trimmed easily enough?

Glad they are all healthy anyway...hope they like the canned food! :)

kimlovescats
04-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Great news! Now quit worrying so much, Mom! ;) Is it getting warmer there? Maybe the weather change is affecting their appetites a bit? Maybe they aren't too fond of their food? I'm sure it's nothing major! So glad all the reports came back normal!

Freedom
04-17-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't recall how old Vita is, and I hate any declawing surgery...but would it be worth removing the dewclaws so she doesn't have any more pain with them? Or can they be trimmed easily enough?
the vet didn't even suggest it. She told me to check them every 5 days for trimming, rather than once per week as I'd been doing.

Maybe with spring weather on the way, they are just friskier and losing a few ounces?

Sparkle is 11, Vita is 10. If it were a few ounces, I wouldn't be so worried!
Sparkle has lost 6 pounds in one year, and Vita has lost 5! :eek: If I could lose that percentage of MY weight I'd still be overweight but I'd be worried.

Randi
04-17-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm so glad to hear Cuddles checked out fine, but I can see why you worry about Sparkles and Vita losing weight. :( Have you discussed another diet for them? They may be just be fed up with what they usually get - like Fister is sometimes.

Sorry to hear that Vita has problems with her claws - I hope it won't be allowed in the future to declaw cats.

I agree, it's not worth it to use the cheaper vet you tried, it sounds like the one you're using now at least knows what he's doing.

Sending lots of good wishes for all your kitties. :)