PDA

View Full Version : Digital Transcription recorders - need feedback

Catty1
04-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi.

At work we do transcription with microcassettes that are played back via an old Dictaphone machine. The pedal doesn't work, and the boss wants it fixed so the other gal and I can use it.

She doesn't use it either! Sometimes we have to rewind M's tape to repeat phrases, sometimes more than twice.

I LOVE the idea of the digital recorders that have software for speech-to-text recognition. We use a Mac, but I called a store today where I was told it would download onto a Flash drive as Word, and then could be uploaded into the Mac (we have MS Office).

5 minutes, so I am told, to get the recorder to recognize the voice properly, and we would still have M's handwritten notes to go by.

It sounds like it would take HOURS out of all the transcription work - $80 plus a bit for a flash drive is a great deal compared to the $65 flat rate for fixing the Dictaphone.

PLEASE - any feedback, good or not? I really want this to work...and the bosses to spend their money on that!

Thanks!

moosmom
04-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Tell the cheap SOB to buy new ones. Geez!!!

critters
04-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I've heard repeatedly that voice recognition "isn't there yet." Still, digital is the way the world is flying, with internet transcription and the works.

I know more about players; Express Scribe was MOST unsatisfactory, and wouldn't play DSS files. Company support was extremely poor. Gear Player cost money, but it played everything with no problem. Customer service was EXCELLENT, and a free trial was available on their website.

Catty1
04-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Hi, critters...these are recorders that also play back...except the software is INSIDE the recorder, and they will download a Word doc into a PC or a flash drive.

Then upload into a Mac.

The brands I am looking at are Panasonic and maybe Sony.

Will check the Net later for independent customer reviews.

Thanks!