PDA

View Full Version : Silly question.

jennielynn1970
04-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Anyone know why seltzer water doesn't fizz over when you open the bottle when it's cold, but when it's room temp it explodes all the heck all over?! :rolleyes: :p It's really annoying!

Edwina's Secretary
04-13-2008, 09:17 PM
You got me wondering because it is not just seltzer water. That is true with my Pepsi too!

So I looked it up....

Warm sodas fizz more than cold sodas when you open them because CO2 gas is less soluble at higher temperatures. Opening a bottle of soda decreases the pressure inside the bottle. This decreases the solubility of CO2 in the soda and results in the formation of bubbles, or fizz.

So there! (Not entirely sure what all that means.... ;) )

ramanth
04-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Shake it, then open it. ;) :D

jennielynn1970
04-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Shake it, then open it. ;) :D

I can be blonde at times, but I'm not that bad, lol!

jennielynn1970
04-13-2008, 09:38 PM
You got me wondering because it is not just seltzer water. That is true with my Pepsi too!

So I looked it up....

Warm sodas fizz more than cold sodas when you open them because CO2 gas is less soluble at higher temperatures. Opening a bottle of soda decreases the pressure inside the bottle. This decreases the solubility of CO2 in the soda and results in the formation of bubbles, or fizz.

So there! (Not entirely sure what all that means.... ;) )

Hey, I posed an intelligent question, lol.

Will have to reread the explanation... wonder if I can get one of the science teachers at school to do an experiment for me, lol.

kitten645
04-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Not much of an explanation or reply but being a big fuzzy drink girl...I know soda is bubblier when it's colder. Bit flat at room temp. Something to do with what makes it fuzzy being more fuzzy when it's colder. releases more bubbles. Ain't that lurned und sciencelike??? Doh! :p

jennielynn1970
04-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Kitten645.... see, I'm saying the OPPOSITE.

It gets fizzier when I open the bottle for the first time when it's room temp. It tends to explode all over.

If it's cold from the fridge, it's fine.

Catty1
04-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Warmer liquid EXPANDS.

Colder liquid SHRINKS.

add bubbles.... :D

Cincy'sMom
04-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Kitten645.... see, I'm saying the OPPOSITE.

It gets fizzier when I open the bottle for the first time when it's room temp. It tends to explode all over.

If it's cold from the fridge, it's fine.

Actaully, while it seems like it is the opposite...it is the same. The closed bottle has the gases trapped. Being less soluble at room temp., when the extra air is added and there is room to expand, the gases are emitted, and therefore bubbly. But becase the gas has been allowed to escape, after a short period of time, the room temperature pop is flat. If it is cold, the carbon dioxide is solublized in the soda, and escapes at a slower rate.

kitten645
04-14-2008, 10:39 PM
CincysMom, That sounds exactly what I didn't verbalize too well. Thanks!
:cool: